Author Topic: Private keys vs. wallet address  (Read 3431 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
But when importing you would need the pld password or to use an unencrypted version

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bytemaster

This got lost in conversation
How will the encryption of the PTS/BTC wallets work after importing?
Will the encryption password for my bitshares wallet be the same as the password for the PTS/BTC wallet.

Do you recommend then transferring the bitshares to a new bitshares wallet (this was a recommendation for memorycoin)? If this is recommended, why?
Thanks

Once imported your keys will be stored encrypted using your new BTS wallet password.  This is probably different than your bitcoin wallet password.   No need to transfer to a new address unless you want to.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
This got lost in conversation
Will the encryption password for my bitshares wallet be the same as the password for the PTS/BTC wallet.

Do you recommend then transferring the bitshares to a new bitshares wallet (this was a recommendation for memorycoin)? If this is recommended, why?
Thanks

Offline bytemaster

My BitShares-PTS wallet shows only the wallet address.... PiunA5mHJkWYKRcyjT2jVwAefRQqD4NwGf

I don't know where the private keys are, but I assume I will need them after March 15.

So the question is: how will I get my wallet's private keys to do the bs-pts to bs-x conversion?

BTS wallet will import your PTS and BTC wallets to get the keys from them.

I think it will be important for Invictus to offer detailed instructions on key security. A lot of people are going to complain that they got hacked or lost their private keys and it's not good for the Bitshares ecosystem.

Is it possible to make some software to generate paper wallets in a way which is point and click simple?

It's easy to make paper wallets for Bitcoin, but Protoshares? Most people don't know how to do that. This will be important and maybe in future Bitshares client an offline storage mode with options similar to Armory.

The armory code has been ported to ProtoShares... it takes some work to build right now, but does work.   These types of things we rely on the community for while our team is focused on delivering the MVP.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
My BitShares-PTS wallet shows only the wallet address.... PiunA5mHJkWYKRcyjT2jVwAefRQqD4NwGf

I don't know where the private keys are, but I assume I will need them after March 15.

So the question is: how will I get my wallet's private keys to do the bs-pts to bs-x conversion?

I think it will be important for Invictus to offer detailed instructions on key security. A lot of people are going to complain that they got hacked or lost their private keys and it's not good for the Bitshares ecosystem.

Is it possible to make some software to generate paper wallets in a way which is point and click simple?

It's easy to make paper wallets for Bitcoin, but Protoshares? Most people don't know how to do that. This will be important and maybe in future Bitshares client an offline storage mode with options similar to Armory.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

Will the import feature work for those that used the micro-bit wallet to make donations, nothing has to be done for those that donated with micro-bit before the snapshot right?
Assuming micro-bit controls the private keys locally then there will be a way (eventually) to do it. 

Offline mint chocolate chip

Will the import feature work for those that used the micro-bit wallet to make donations, nothing has to be done for those that donated with micro-bit before the snapshot right?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline vikram

It will also have to read your Keyhotee profile for Founders' AGS correct?

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans

Thanks

Offline bytemaster

Offline werneo

• View Profile
    • chronicle of the precession of simulacra
  • BitShares: werneo

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 02:34:44 am by werneo »

Offline bytemaster

Are private keys and wallet addresses the same or different?

Pretty sure they are different... Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private key is paired with a Public Key and the Wallet address is the hash of the public key.   Given a Private Key you can generate the public key and wallet address, but you cannot go the other way.

bitbro

Are private keys and wallet addresses the same or different?

Pretty sure they are different... Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk