Author Topic: New website sneak peek: BITSHARES.ORG  (Read 8110 times)

Offline testz

Site looks good.  +5%
Here http://bitshares.thecreativemomentum.com/solutions/ better to combine BitShares in BitShares AGS and BitShares PTS logos because both together looks terrible.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
round off the edges of the square blocks, such as in the about section (FAQ) and (Our vision) because having sharp edges is rough on the eyes.

+5%

I'd like this site to appeal to people who are coming to Bitshares with different motivations ... I'd like to sense a stronger appeal on the website for people interested in how to save money or how to make money.

Many good points donkeypong!  +5%

Offline jae208

• View Profile
 +5%

I think we just need a go to resource where people can learn about Bitshares and this new site looks great for this! NICE!
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
The new site is a huge improvement. It will help explain Bitshares to a whole new audience. Excellent work. I have a few critical suggestions to make. These are not meant to criticize your hard work and achievement; they are just my attempt to help you folks at Invictus make this as effective a communication tool as possible for a broad audience. My last suggestion is the most important, but it ties in with the rest. You can take, leave, or modify my suggestions as you see fit.

First, I'd love to have a brief text description of Bitshares (a paragraph or two) on the main page, rather than just the video. Some people still prefer to read, and video does not work on 100% of machines. Imagine a 50-year-old stumbling on this. Not the target audience, I know, but why not be broad enough to reach even those who still read newspapers every morning? I'm in my late 30s and I'd rather read than watch a video (weird to some of you, I know, but there are others out there like me). One of my pet peeves is going through the content on a high tech company's website, then still not being able to understand or explain exactly what the hell they do, what problems they solve, and how they add value to the world. There was a lot of that going on in the 1990s, masked in fancy verbiage, but now users and investors are looking for more substance. Hopefully, the completed FAQ will help with this understanding, but I'd still prefer a paragraph or two of simple narrative description of Bitshares on the main page.

Second, on the Bitcoin - Bitshares comparison part, maybe mention why Bitcoin "consumes billions of dollars daily"? From a lot of the postings I've followed on Reddit, I'm still not sure that average people understand this concept, that Bitcoin and mining-intensive cryptos have a huge daily maintenance cost just to maintain their current positions. I know you are trying to keep these bullet points concise and straight to the point, which is the right approach. But maybe add a few words to that bullet such as "...through mining and energy costs", etc. This greater efficiency also feeds into an environmental argument, which might appeal to a different sector of the market.

Third, the apostrophes for "FAQ's" and "Video's" are unneeded on this page, as those can be made plural with just an "s" at the end. http://bitshares.thecreativemomentum.com/about/

Fourth, I'm not quite sold on the "Solutions" sub-menu. "Tools" or "Components" might be more accurate. If I'm a newbie reading this main page to try and understand what this Bitshares thing is, what it does, and how it can improve my life, the "PTS/AGS" is not of of those solutions. If there's a menu for "How do I get my hands on this good stuff?" then PTS/AGS ought to come up. It would seem to me that if there is a "Solutions" menu, it ought to be more problem+solution oriented, such as what's broken and how Bitshares helps fix it. "Decentralizing corporations & empowering people-Bitshares DACs", or "Taking control of your finances and communications-Keyhotee", etc. Too many words, I know, but maybe there's a better way!

Fifth, and most importantly, I'd like this site to appeal to people who are coming to Bitshares with different motivations. As I see this test site, it primarily presents the noble angle to what Bitshares is doing. It's the best foot forward and I personally like that. Nevertheless, there is a clear profit motive for many of the people who will be interested in using Bitshares, and I'm not quite sure that aspect is fully shining through here. Maybe that story can be told better once there are some DACs available with clear constituencies & benefits, but I think it needs to be clearer now also. Let me explain.

Invictus has designed Bitshares to be a profitable set of enterprises. This is one major feature that sets it apart (above and beyond) the Mastercoins and Ethereums of this world. We live in a capitalist society and that's what will drive Bitshares' growth. As this grows even a little bit (I'd say within 6 months) it will be 10% idealists and 90% capitalists. I see the dividends mentioned in a couple of places, but I'd like to sense a stronger appeal on the website for people interested in how to save money or how to make money.

We need to tap into that money motivation, and here's why that is just as noble as the idealism. In fact, it IS the idealism, having a better world as its goal, but it harnesses the power of the financial motivation. And that's how Bitshares will succeed.

Big banks and corporations have been ripping off people for years: customers, employees, and even shareholders. What have the eBays (before the fees became unconscionable), Napsters, Kickstarters, Lending Clubs, and Bitcoin/cryptos of the world allowed people to do? Leverage technology to downsize that huge wasteful corporation that has gotten fat by screwing average folks and enriching billionaires. As that obsolete structure is downsized, people can get a loan with a lower rate of interest or they can share or buy something directly, again eliminating waste and keeping more for themselves. And on the other side, someone can invest money in lending and still make a better return than they would have made when the corporation took much of it. There is a bigger slice available for everyone. Fewer jobs, maybe, but many, MANY more opportunities!

DACs bring these benefits to the world on a whole new level. They potentially allow a HUGE ton of new folks to get involved in this, trusting in mathematics to keep everyone honest. But boiling many of these decentralized "companies" down to the bottom line, they help bring together someone who needs money with someone who has it. The person who needs money from a loan, for insurance, for Me-stock, or whatever, is going to get a better and more honest deal through the DAC. On the other side, there's someone who has money to lend, invest, speculate with, and hopefully grow into a larger sum. There is no shame for either party and Bitshares needs both, so must appeal to both types of folks at a retail level. To me, those are the "Solutions" we need to explain to the problems most people have on their minds when they find this website: my insurance rates are too high, I can't get a loan, I can't get my music noticed, etc., or I'm working my ass off and not getting ahead, I'm losing more than I'm making on my investments, etc....so how can I get a better deal and feel good about it at the same time?

So most importantly, I want the Bitshares site to clearly appeal to both of these types of money-motivated people (who I think are going to drive 90% of the growth), as well as the idealists/libertarians (who will make up the other 10%). Whoever you are and wherever you're from, there is a better world and you've just found it. You are welcome here. You will find the solutions to make your life better, simpler, more secure.

Now obviously, there will be more tools to attract people, and more things that can be said on the website, once there are actual DACs in which to participate. But somehow, I'd like to see a stronger profit motive evident from the start of this roll-out. We are losing customers if we don't do it.

Keep up the great work, everyone!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:38:59 am by donkeypong »

Offline JA

• View Profile
Saw the new video
awesome!  8)  8)  8)  8)
It is even better then the "What is Bitcoin ?" Video.

Offline soniq

• View Profile
overall very well done, cant wait for the complete product :-)
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Hey Forum,

It's that time! We've been working with an incredible award-winning web design firm company called The Creative Momentum to create a completely new website for BitShares.  It will be at bitshares.org and launch this Friday.  I wanted to give everyone a sneek peek of what we've been working on. Keep in mind, not all pages on the site are up yet and it's still being finished, but you'll get a sense of it when you see the test site. 

Creative suggested we aim for more of the human element to make this technology a little more connected, so we've gone with some images of people interacting with technology as a background. They've also tweaked our logo and look a bit, which I think makes the BitShares logo feel more friendly and approachable.  As you can see, the explainer video will be front and center, a critical tool that will give those completely new to concept a quick 90 second overview of what we're all about.  There are a lot of other elements in there worth looking at, but I'll let you all look through it and see for yourself.

This has been an enormous focus for me and the marketing team over the last couple months.  I'm very proud of how it's coming together.  Feel free to post your thoughts, ideas, opinions, whatever, regarding the site.  We'll be continually refining this site over time, but I hope that with it we'll be able to more clearly communicate our message, generate interest, and allow people to get educated about everything BitShares. Not only that, but we'll grow the reach and size of this forum tremendously once we have more visitors coming to our site.  B

Check it out:   http://bitshares.thecreativemomentum.com/

One improvement I would suggest to the web development team on the design. Ask them to round off the edges of the square blocks, such as in the about section (FAQ) and (Our vision) because having sharp edges is rough on the eyes. It's violent looking shapes which will not look sleek.

These are my opinions, other people probably don't care.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline jsidhu

• View Profile
I suggest change tunes mincoin has the same narrator and soundtrack.. Sean hickey designed your site?
Hired by blockchain | Developer
delegate: dev.sidhujag

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
Looks good. A few initial impressions..

- I don't like the dark navy and dark grey backgrounds to the elements below [Find out what we can do with BitShares] and the Bitcoin to BitShares
- [Beyond Bitcoin Las Vegas] could do with being a link.
- FAQ could do with being in the top line with News and Community, as that's one of the strongest bits of content.
- "Find out what we can do with BitShares" -> "Find out what you can do with BitShares"
- [Secure; Low Cost; Convenient; Decentralized] each need depth - perhaps just link to the FAQ for something relevant.
- [BitShares in the news] links appear to be javascript rather than simple links. Please check the site works without javascript!.. eek I just undid the noscript permissions and a large part of the page doesn't appear without javascript enabled.
- "We are the Reimagineers." - hmm.. pictures of the people who be a good addition. Since you like javascript perhaps do something novel like when mouse over that person the picture changes to be more attentive and when off target falls back to looking busy.

I agree that the page should operate well without Java Script!

+5% most things could be done with css3/html5 i guess .. so no js needed
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline bytemaster

- I don't like the dark navy and dark grey backgrounds to the elements below [Find out what we can do with BitShares] and the Bitcoin to BitShares
- FAQ could do with being in the top line with News and Community, as that's one of the strongest bits of content.
- "Find out what we can do with BitShares" -> "Find out what you can do with BitShares"
- [Secure; Low Cost; Convenient; Decentralized] each need depth - perhaps just link to the FAQ for something relevant.
- [BitShares in the news] links appear to be javascript rather than simple links. Please check the site works without javascript!.. eek I just undid the noscript permissions and a large part of the page doesn't appear without javascript enabled.
- "We are the Reimagineers." - hmm.. pictures of the people who be a good addition. Since you like javascript perhaps do something novel like when mouse over that person the picture changes to be more attentive and when off target falls back to looking busy.

I agree that the page should operate well without Java Script!
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline davidpbrown

฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
Me LIKEY!  Looks VERY nice.  I haven't read any of it, I know that stuff is all subject to change, but the look and feel is excellent.
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline BitSharesDevelopment

• View Profile
New website looks incredible, very exciting stuff!

38PTSWarrior

The About picture is so good, nice warm colors

edit: oh man so nice!