Author Topic: Beyond Bitcoin Reddit (update)  (Read 4945 times)

Offline fuzzy

maybe I can help you out .. wanted to checkout reddit themeing anyway ..

Always interested in collaboration man...always.  When the Mumble Server is up and running, maybe we can collaborate on some things there ;)
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
maybe I can help you out .. wanted to checkout reddit themeing anyway ..

Offline fuzzy

the cryptogenic bullion reddit look very professional! take a look!t
http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptogenicBullion

Agreed.  I have read up enough to know I can apparently "steal" code (I know I know...no stealing in an open-source world), but I'm hoping to work on this and actually learn how to do it myself. ;)

I do appreciate the point though!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
the cryptogenic bullion reddit look very professional! take a look!t
http://www.reddit.com/r/CryptogenicBullion

Offline fuzzy

Here is the mockup of how the subreddit is going to look (once I figure out how to actually transfer the inspect element CSS changes to Reddit and save it)
Just a quick update ;)

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile
Bytemaster and I discussed the outline for what would have been the first day of the event. My assignment is to turn this into something that looks like a training course. Once that is complete, it would be easy to pour it all into a Moodle instantiation and run it as an online MOOC-ish thing, enabling people to run content-full local meetups.

Rather than fly Bytemaster's mild-mannered alterego all over the landscape, we could Skype him in like those flickery holograms in Star Wars.

"Help us Obi-Wan, you're our only hope!"

Very interested in hearing more about this.  Can it be Googled?...errr, I mean Startpaged?

Right now, it is just notes. I'm working down my To Do list in order of Bytemaster's priorities. This one is nearing the top.  Then, I'll put it somewhere, where you can DuckDuckGo it or bing the google to find it.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

Looking forward to chatting and sharing ideas as well!

Offline fuzzy

I have looked into running my own Mumble Server, however due to ridiculous bandwidth pricing models applied "as test models" to my area, running a server (at maximum capacity) would cost upwards of $450 (1BTC) monthly (just for the bandwidth). 

For this reason, I have decided to go through a 3rd party for this.  Here are my initial thoughts: 

1) I will personally pay for a 50 Slot server
2) The server password will be given free-of-charge to all developers working for on bitShares projects to use as they wish
3) The original volunteers for "Team Viral" will also be given access to this server free of charge
4) I will put up a "Server-Access Request Form" to be filled out in the case that another individual wishes access
5) If it reaches the point where all slots are filled and demand for more is high, I will expand this to 100 Slots (the next tier). 
    5a) Slots will be auctioned off for PTS/BTS/BTC/NoirShares(NIG)/MMC (and any derivative thereof--honoring the social contract in my own little way)-- with higher weights given to those who donate more value.  The Auction will be done over a designated period of time and will be done in as transparent a fashion as possible. 

Please feel free to offer your opinions on this model as it is not yet set in stone. 

This server will be up and running most likely sometime this weekend.  Look forward to actually talking to you fellas/gals in real time!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:24:48 am by fuznuts »

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
We'll see where it goes and much of this could be idealistic pie in the sky sh*t, but if we don't try it we'll never know.  I believe if we try enough, eventually something legitimate will manifest and stick.  I am interested in helping this along and making good friends in the process who I can someday sit down with a couple ($.20) Pints and chat about how we contributed to the new industrial revolution.

The possibilities make me giddy.  Monetary gain, though nice, would be dwarfed in significance as compared to the knowledge that we all collectively stood up and helped push the human race back from the precipice yet one more time.  We live in extraordinary times, so I say lets all learn to be extraordinary together.

Wow, what a great attitude.  Hope to help in any way I can, even it its just "hanging out."  I think its great to have all 2.0 communities together.

Offline fuzzy

Should we start doing weekly skype meetings before you broadcast anything? Just to get a feel for what kinds of things people can talk about

I was planning on running a little Teamspeak server for offline chat and then we can all set some more "formal" sessions up as we gain steam. 

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Should we start doing weekly skype meetings before you broadcast anything? Just to get a feel for what kinds of things people can talk about
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline fuzzy

Bytemaster and I discussed the outline for what would have been the first day of the event. My assignment is to turn this into something that looks like a training course. Once that is complete, it would be easy to pour it all into a Moodle instantiation and run it as an online MOOC-ish thing, enabling people to run content-full local meetups.

Rather than fly Bytemaster's mild-mannered alterego all over the landscape, we could Skype him in like those flickery holograms in Star Wars.

Very interested in hearing more about this.  Can it be Googled?...errr, I mean Startpaged?

That's fantastic!
So its a place to hangout and discuss anything “Beyond Bitcoin" but the pond will be stocked with Bitshares enthusiasts?

At first, but I would like to see people who are members from both the BitShares and other communities bring their friends who are interested in "Bitcoin 2.0" projects. 

Let's say for instance that Barwizi from NoirShares is at the hangouts all the time, or HackFischer, or Nikolai, Dan (please no offense to those MANY I have failed to mention for brevity's sake)...etc frequently attend these "hangouts" along with other community members who are interested enough to attend.  Now we have some brain power there at these hangouts who have a very good idea of how to develop 2.0 technologies.  Now imagine I am the Dev of Sexcoin and I am wanting to find ways to bootstrap an entire industry on top of this coin, but it takes money to pay full-time developers to help build the infrastructure needed to do this.  A BIG question many Devs and Communities have is both "why and/or how should we do this?" 

Well fortunately, there are a good few people on this forum who HAVE done it (or some permutation) already.  Community members from other coins could learn from and forge bonds with those from "our" bitShares community.  Devs from the projects here might choose to even sign on as Co-Developers or "Contractors" who advise and help troubleshoot issues that arise.  Contracting Devs could volunteer for free, or they could convince the hiring Devs to "pay" the user base of the Contracting Dev's "coin" as an issuance of some of the total shares.  This would effectively serve as a symbiotic relationship and create a feedback loop that at the very best would foster good will, free & effective cross-community advertising, and unbreakable alliances.  At worst it would create more competition in the space (which ironically creates more advertising). 

Of course there are also individuals who have completed multiple bounties here for bitShares who might be able to quickly retool their previous code, use graphic design knowledge, paper wallets...etc to fulfill bounties that have thus far gone unfilled for startup coins. 

We'll see where it goes and much of this could be idealistic pie in the sky sh*t, but if we don't try it we'll never know.  I believe if we try enough, eventually something legitimate will manifest and stick.  I am interested in helping this along and making good friends in the process who I can someday sit down with a couple ($.20) Pints and chat about how we contributed to the new industrial revolution.

The possibilities make me giddy.  Monetary gain, though nice, would be dwarfed in significance as compared to the knowledge that we all collectively stood up and helped push the human race back from the precipice yet one more time.  We live in extraordinary times, so I say lets all learn to be extraordinary together. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:16:02 am by fuznuts »

Offline etherbroker

• View Profile
Thanks for the update, but this is actually something that is separate from the Beyond Bitcoin conference about which you are speaking.  "Beyond Bitcoin" was what the community voted the name should be for a hangout-styled group of community members to all collaborate under.  After the vote took place, I went ahead and procured the necessary domain and account names for a social media endeavor.  I actually believe the vote took place before Beyond Bitcoin was even considered for the conference (though there may be posts proving this false). 

This will primarily be used to attempt to give "Team Viral" a means for posting interesting news with regard to Bitcoin 2.0 projects.  Obviously I am a little bit of a "fan boy" with regard to Invictus' work thus far, so I felt it would be nice to have different opinions and news aggregated to a central hub for information that utilizes common social media platforms to provide industry-wide updates from anyone wanting to participate in the community-awareness effort.  This would help to balance my personal opinions...which sometimes are strong. 

So in short this actually had no connection with the event in Las Vegas.  The original vote thread can be found here if you are interested:  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3156.0

*this has been an evolving project...and I expect it to continue evolving as new people enter and take over different niches.  this was meant to give voice to the Bitcoin 2.0 community, but will draw mostly from individuals invested in BitShares--though it is not absolutely necessary!*
That's fantastic!

So its a place to hangout and discuss anything “Beyond Bitcoin" but the pond will be stocked with Bitshares enthusiasts?

Offline fuzzy

This event has been postponed unless we can find a partner in the industry to take over running it.  With the recent events in Bitcoin we felt the ROI was too risky and would take away from a more effective internet effort using the same resources.   Brian is preparing an official announcement soon.

+5%

Thanks for the update, but this is actually something that is separate from the Beyond Bitcoin conference about which you are speaking.  "Beyond Bitcoin" was what the community voted the name should be for a hangout-styled group of community members to all collaborate under.  After the vote took place, I went ahead and procured the necessary domain and account names for a social media endeavor.  I actually believe the vote took place before Beyond Bitcoin was even considered for the conference (though there may be posts proving this false). 

This will primarily be used to attempt to give "Team Viral" a means for posting interesting news with regard to Bitcoin 2.0 projects.  Obviously I am a little bit of a "fan boy" with regard to Invictus' work thus far, so I felt it would be nice to have different opinions and news aggregated to a central hub for information that utilizes common social media platforms to provide industry-wide updates from anyone wanting to participate in the community-awareness effort.  This would help to balance my personal opinions...which sometimes are strong. 

So in short this actually had no connection with the event in Las Vegas.  The original vote thread can be found here if you are interested:  https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3156.0

*this has been an evolving project...and I expect it to continue evolving as new people enter and take over different niches.  this was meant to give voice to the Bitcoin 2.0 community, but will draw mostly from individuals invested in BitShares--though it is not absolutely necessary!*

Offline CWEvans

• View Profile

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:39:58 pm by Stan »