Author Topic: Active Directory DAC Solution?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
We're all still learning all this stuff, since much of it has never been done before, so don't take my words as authoritative.  :P

What I'd like to see similar to this is a Keyhotee based VPN, and Keyhotee key secured remote access.  Combined with decentralized storage, I think this could offer more functionality, as well as finer granularity of control than Active Directory.

There's an old project to manage OpenSSH key lookups through the PGP Web of Trust, but I think Keyhotee would be much more elegant for this sort of thing: http://web.monkeysphere.info/

Keyhotee based logins to the local machine would be great, but to be secure I think it would require using a phone or other trusted device to pass the credentials.

Offline fuzzy

I think this is a great idea in terms of usefulness, but I'm not sure if it's directly profitable on its own.  The most straightforward approach seems like it would be a modified Active Directory client that uses something like MaidSafe for data storage.

The profit problem I see is that Active Directory is only useful for people with networks, and almost any solution you make could just as easily be limited to their network, so there's no motivation to pay a single global network rather than run it internally.

Thanks for teaching on this Troglo...I'm still learning about all this stuff, so it is always good to find gurus who can really outline the innerworkings and help assess the ways this may or may not be profitable.
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
I think this is a great idea in terms of usefulness, but I'm not sure if it's directly profitable on its own.  The most straightforward approach seems like it would be a modified Active Directory client that uses something like MaidSafe for data storage.

The profit problem I see is that Active Directory is only useful for people with networks, and almost any solution you make could just as easily be limited to their network, so there's no motivation to pay a single global network rather than run it internally.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Much like letting the blockchain generate access tokens like kerberos does? Sounds interesting

Offline fuzzy

Active Directory Services as in a Decentralized alternative to the Centralized network permissions solution: 

http://itfreetraining.com/70-640/introduction-to-active-directory/  this explains it better than myself.  Corporate IT Departments swear by it though...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Could you elaborate what an active directory is for you?

Offline fuzzy

To all brilliant minds here, please consider this and let me know what you think.  Is it even possible?

If it is, it will be ridiculously profitable as there are no real competitors (that I know of) in this space.