Author Topic: cryptocurrency job fair... recruiting/marketing opportunity?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Came here on our own by investigating our interests

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
out of curiosity. How did you find the now part timers?

Offline toast

• View Profile
almost all the part-timers are starting full time in less than two months... sooner than you can get another full-time up to speed
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline smilence

• View Profile
Our team is big enough.  We need to focus on being effective and productive so the existing team learns enough to train next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes , big enough
Part time students counted ,right?  ))

Offline bytemaster

Our team is big enough.  We need to focus on being effective and productive so the existing team learns enough to train next round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I would totally go if AGS paid for the flight. What about Arlen?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
Happy to make an introduction to the organizer, Scott Robinson if you guys don't know him.

Is there anyone who lives near silicon valley / San Francisco?  Adam, do you know how much a booth costs?  I think almost anyone who is reasonably involved in the community could go there and collect some resumes and let people know about what bitshares is trying to do.

I think we should make an effort to have more people in the community other than the core I3 employees take on more initiative and/or responsibility.

At the same time we need to be careful who represents us and do things with the support of I3 because people have invested in their judgement and it's nice to have a consistent message.

Offline unimercio

• The opportunity of a lifetime comes by every 7 day
    • View Profile
    • Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)
  • BitShares: unimercio
Just wanted to point out this job fair.  It's May 3rd in silicon valley for people looking for jobs in the bitcoin industry.

http://bitcoinjobfair.com/
http://www.coindesk.com/silicon-valley-job-fair-match-bitcoin-professionals/

It seems to me like getting the message of BitShares out to potential developers like people looking for a job in the industry could be even more important than getting the message to typical investors.

Maybe an idea to have a presence at this job fair?  Even if you don't find someone to hire, it might not hurt.  just a thought.
  +5% Good eye...
Conscious Entrepreneurship Foundation (CEF)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
There is a lot of variance in your own project. Even great ideas usually have other parties working on the same thing in parallel. I agree crypto currency is a great place with a lot of opportunity but realizing substantial profits is far far from a  given. Not everyone is in a place to take chances. Family, risk aversion, lack of investment funds for expenses,  etc.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:02:14 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline fuzzy

Not everyone is independent minded. Lots of bright people need to be recruited. With most people you can just grab their arm and run with them. They don't have anything better to do. This is what great leaders exploit.
+5%
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Happy to make an introduction to the organizer, Scott Robinson if you guys don't know him.

+5%

Offline bitcoinba

• View Profile
Just wanted to point out this job fair.  It's May 3rd in silicon valley for people looking for jobs in the bitcoin industry.

It seems to me like getting the message of BitShares out to potential developers like people looking for a job in the industry could be even more important than getting the message to typical investors.

Maybe an idea to have a presence at this job fair?  Even if you don't find someone to hire, it might not hurt.  just a thought.

+5%

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Not everyone is independent minded. Lots of bright people need to be recruited. With most people you can just grab their arm and run with them. They don't have anything better to do. This is what great leaders exploit.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

I have mixed feelings/skepticism about this.

1. If you have the engineering talent why would you want to work for someone else when you can develop your own app, your own Bitshares chain, your own altcoin?

2. If you don't have the talent to do that already they probably aren't going to hire you, so why would you bother to show up?

I just don't see why anyone would want to do this in a space which seems to be an open playing field with opportunity for anyone with engineering talent to make millions of dollars even on a self developed altcoin. I also don't see why anyone would take the time to go to a job fair when in an environment like this you would expect the recruiters to be on forums sending pms to altcoin developers rather than putting up ads to go to a job fair.

I highly doubt these companies could offer enough money to get the best of the best as these people would all likely be working on their own projects. Even on this forum you can be sure that many of us are working on our own projects in private as well as helping other people's projects, and to take time out from our own projects to help tech companies could be a time sacrifice which isn't feasible due to opportunity cost.

One year in the cryptocurrency industry is like a decade in any other industry. The pace is so fast that you will learn more in one year working on projects than you would learn if you went to college for a PhD or if you worked an office job for the same amount of time. Silicon Valley is fast paced, but it's just learning about Ethereum, Bitcoin and other projects which were all developed by engineers, tested, and then VCs and Silicon Valley took interest.

I think if they are hiring entry level then a job fair would be cool but if not then they are just trying to get talent to quit the projects they are working on to join theirs.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:13:35 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com