Author Topic: Is bitshares music about creating artificial scarcity ?  (Read 9055 times)

Offline MrJeans

• View Profile
  • BitShares: mrjeans
A buyer can purchase a BitShare of a song, compensating the band in the process, for the sole reason that he will make money off it in the future.
I'm not following this point. If someone buys a song, do they also get shares in the artist?
I understand purchasing artist coins to make money off them in the future, but my understanding is that purchasing a download comes with no shareholding.

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
Remind me what hinges on the question of what is unique? :P
I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
If something is abundant it is not unique, and some things are essentially unique, like identity. What things are essentially unique? Can we do without essentially unique things, and if not, which kinds of essentially unique things are critical? /philosophy mode

Offline earthbound

• View Profile
    • earthbound.io
cob, please point me to where I can read any information about your project. Yeah, I could search, but that would involve searching :)

Also, how has this whole music thing emerged as anything separate from this idea -- where I have now posted a reply? :

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=1053.msg63537#msg63537

I think I'm not alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless dominion of our solar system. -Jack Handey

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I think you're imagining song download ability as tokens you can trade around and as the resource that is limited. If you trade shares in the songs future sales (potentially infinite sales) you are creating "artificial scarcity" in the sense that there is exactly one "song's future revenue" which you split up proportionally among shareholders.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline tipon

• View Profile
Yes, i was asumming it involves selling songs, but not only selling songs, its more trading and making bussiness with music.
In order to sell or trade something that is digital ( music, art, books ,software,  etc)   you need to be able to limit the number of copies.
You can do this using blockchain technologies and bitshares music , for example you can create a limited run of  a few copies of an album then you can assign each album
 a special key and then you encode that in the blockchain.
In this way you can have these digital albums or songs  that always stay an exact number of copies that can be traded.
This is basically creating artificial scarcity

We need to be carefull with innovation and technological development. They both are not neutral.
We need to analyze if these innovations are good for society. Where do we want to go?
Which kind of consequences are gonna have these developments?

I think bitshares music promote scarcity and as consequence its very bad for the interest of humanity.

You still haven't explained your point and you're assuming bitshares music works by selling copies of songs. Please do a more thorough argument because I still disagree.

bitbro

What Eddie and I are building is a website where you can listen to music for free, but if you want to have a copy of the mp3, you must pay.
Free to stream, pay to download.

If you want to buy shares of a song, you must also pay. You will then get rewarded IF that song generates any sales.

Here, let me "leak" a section of the white paper. Please ignore the "Zenith Music Exchange" name since all our terminology is being revamped.

And let me add to this following section that there is a third type of listener. The ones that currently torrent because $0.99 is just a little bit to pricy for them. They would consider paying for a song if it were priced at say, $0.80.

anyway Here is the paste:

3.0 Incentives and advantages
The current economic model for buying music gives the listener two choices: one free, and one paying. People getting their music for free are the majority. People that pay for music do so for a variety of reasons but none of them involve self-interest. Our new model favours everyone's self-interests. Unlike the current one where artists hesitate before putting their music online for fear of file sharing / pirating, the Zenith Music Exchange now makes it profitable for the artist to upload and share everything he has.

What Zenith Music Exchange offers is to take the majority of people that normally just torrent music and turn them into music buyers. How so? By switching the incentives around. Buying music through the blockchain is now an action that promotes self-interest. If a user likes a song so much that he is willing to download it with the varying levels of hassle it entails (trojans / malware / viruses and the time required to find the files online), he most likely sees the value of that song. By buying a BitShare of that song directly from our website, he is invested in the song’s success. Every time the song is played or purchased, the new BitShareholder now sees the value of his portfolio rise and can cash out at any time!

A buyer can purchase a BitShare of a song, compensating the band in the process, for the sole reason that he will make money off it in the future. BitShares Music is harnessing the power of greed and putting it at the service of good. As for people already paying for their music, they will keep doing so, but will now get compensated financially for it. Currently, their good dead goes unrewarded. We personally like the idea of rewarding and incentivizing good, ethical and moral choices.

How do AGS/ PTS share allocations come into play? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
What Eddie and I are building is a website where you can listen to music for free, but if you want to have a copy of the mp3, you must pay.
Free to stream, pay to download.

If you want to buy shares of a song, you must also pay. You will then get rewarded IF that song generates any sales.

Here, let me "leak" a section of the white paper. Please ignore the "Zenith Music Exchange" name since all our terminology is being revamped.

And let me add to this following section that there is a third type of listener. The ones that currently torrent because $0.99 is just a little bit to pricy for them. They would consider paying for a song if it were priced at say, $0.80.

anyway Here is the paste:

3.0 Incentives and advantages
The current economic model for buying music gives the listener two choices: one free, and one paying. People getting their music for free are the majority. People that pay for music do so for a variety of reasons but none of them involve self-interest. Our new model favours everyone's self-interests. Unlike the current one where artists hesitate before putting their music online for fear of file sharing / pirating, the Zenith Music Exchange now makes it profitable for the artist to upload and share everything he has.

What Zenith Music Exchange offers is to take the majority of people that normally just torrent music and turn them into music buyers. How so? By switching the incentives around. Buying music through the blockchain is now an action that promotes self-interest. If a user likes a song so much that he is willing to download it with the varying levels of hassle it entails (trojans / malware / viruses and the time required to find the files online), he most likely sees the value of that song. By buying a BitShare of that song directly from our website, he is invested in the song’s success. Every time the song is played or purchased, the new BitShareholder now sees the value of his portfolio rise and can cash out at any time!

A buyer can purchase a BitShare of a song, compensating the band in the process, for the sole reason that he will make money off it in the future. BitShares Music is harnessing the power of greed and putting it at the service of good. As for people already paying for their music, they will keep doing so, but will now get compensated financially for it. Currently, their good dead goes unrewarded. We personally like the idea of rewarding and incentivizing good, ethical and moral choices.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
Back to OP's main point briefly: he seems to be saying that because we can copy a song and distribute it ad infinitum, that the song is abundant. That somehow an item's abundance is related to how many copies of it exist. But this is really a form of artificial abundance, right? In an important sense, songs are actually scarce, because it's not trivial to produce a good song. A song is a special type of good that can fall prey to artificial abundance, which really screws with the incentives to produce songs.

This is the problem that Bitshares Music is trying to solve: the illusion of abundance that the Internet produces has caused incentive problems for musicians. Record labels tried to solve the incentive problem by legislating scarcity, and that approach has mostly turned out to be a huge failure. Bitshares Music is just a new approach to the incentive problem, one which I suspect may turn out to be a bit more successful. :)

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Some Youtube videos generate $ thousands of ad revenue. I think it would be nice if a publisher could sell shares in their videos so you can get a % of their ad revenue.

This is a VERY interesting idea!

Thanks  :)

bitbro

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

bitbro

Some Youtube videos generate $ thousands of ad revenue. I think it would be nice if a publisher could sell shares in their videos so you can get a % of their ad revenue.

SharesTube.com

Or

SharesTube.p2p

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

We need to be carefull with innovation and technological development. They both are not neutral.
We need to analyze if these innovations are good for society. Where do we want to go?
Which kind of consequences are gonna have these developments?

I think bitshares music promote scarcity and as consequence its very bad for the interest of humanity.

In my vision for BSM it would promote copying of the song for free and no charge and then provide a means to tie the value of a share in the song to the popularity of the song.   Popular songs are indeed naturally scarce as are talented artists.  I thus want to encourage the discovery and sharing of songs while allowing people to profit from the discovery of quality artists and music. 

So the goal is to incentivize discovery of scarce goods and thus make them more abundant *without* relying on force or coersion that is represented by copyright.

BSM as it is being produced by Eddie is a hybrid model, they are selling downloads, but sharing the revenue from the downloads with the shareholders.  Thus there is no artificial scarcity.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org