Author Topic: silly question about donation wallets  (Read 6490 times)

Offline tigers05

• View Profile
No just as long as it's step by step and in plain english, try to avoid acronyms and abbreviations as much as possible.
Most importantly post it and title it where its easy and obvious to find.

merockstar

Thanks testz but you also proved my point, reading through all that and trying to follow it is way too hard for your average person to figre out. The whole process is just a headache e.g this is what I have to do to buy pts or donate btc for ags and this doesn't include the getting another whole new wallet and importing keys etc.
step 1 download btc wallet and backup secure private key etc.
step 2 transfer aud from my account into paypal and wait 3 days for it.
step 3 open coinjar account
step 4 transfer money from paypal into coinjar.
step 5 buy btc with aud.
step 6 transfer btc from coinjar to my private btc wallet.
step 7 if want to get pts to keep or donate, download pts wallet save dat file, private key etc
step 8 register on bter exchange.
step 9 send btc to bter.
step 10 exchange btc for pts.
step 11 send pts to my pts wallet.

these steps are all still a consequence of BTC, and it's still young and growing selection of services being the only fiat gateway. The only thing that can resolve that is time for crypto to become more ubiquitous, at which point there will be a wider variety of money handling businesses capable of selling different cryptos in exchange for fiat, and a wider variety of wallets from which to take one's pick.

This is actually a blessing in disguise because it means there are opportunities in this realm for people with the brains and money. This means the value of what you're holding still has room to grow.

step 12 send pts to angelshares
step 13 if donated btc from step six I send btc to angleshares

The angelshares fund no longer accepts donations, so thats no longer a factor.

I've simplified everything by keeping a wallet with all my donation keys. All my PTS are now in a brainwallet, and I can just generate the private key and import it into future DACs without having to worry about change addresses.

step 14 download another bitshares wallet import keys etc.

and that's not even going to be safe once everybody and their brother start making their own DACs. they're working on a solution to this, odds are it will become a little easier once that solution is implemented in the toolkit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHiqGqoIGII

You can see how overly complicated and painstaking this whole process is yes half of it is btc related but it's just too much stuffing around too many wallets too many changes its a big ugly beautiful mess.

It's a big mess, but never before has the concept of "IPO in a box," as hoskinson puts it, existed. I think it's wonderful that people actually have real investment options now, and they can put 10 or a hundred bucks into it anonymously if they choose without having to be accredited or anything.

If your average joe visits this forum and has just got his head around bitcoin and has even managed to donate a few, he would seriously think everyone on this forum is from another planet and speaks their own made up mumbo jumbo language. This place needs step by step simple instruction on how to do things no digging through pages and pages of dribble to find it. 

per your request, I will work on putting a more clear set of instructions together oriented towards users of varying wallets once I get home from work today.

Are you struggling with anything specifically? So many of us are happy to help if we can. Were you able to find the wallet? It's been released by dacsunlimited so the best place to download from is https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/releases/ as a windows user you'll want to grab 0.3.0 (as of 8/8/2014) and keep an eye out for updates.

For a QT BTC/PTS wallet (the most common one), there's a method of importing the .dat file built directly into the client. I know that first-hand. I know it can handle other wallets too. You might be getting hung up on having the remove "file:\\\" first, I know that's helped some other people.

Is there something about this guide specifically that I should clarify when I work on my set of instructions?

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Thanks testz but you also proved my point, reading through all that and trying to follow it is way too hard for your average person to figre out. The whole process is just a headache e.g this is what I have to do to buy pts or donate btc for ags and this doesn't include the getting another whole new wallet and importing keys etc.
step 5 buy btc with aud.
step 7 if want to get pts to keep or donate, download pts wallet save dat file, private key etc
step 9 send btc to bter.

You can see how overly complicated and painstaking this whole process is yes half of it is btc related but it's just too much stuffing around too many wallets too many changes its a big ugly mess.

Yeah, kind of like sending someone an email in 1977...  :)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:04:23 pm by Stan »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline tigers05

• View Profile
step 5 buy btc with aud.
step 9 send btc to bter.

You can see how overly complicated and painstaking this whole process is yes half of it is btc related but it's just too much stuffing around too many wallets too many changes its a big ugly mess.

Offline testz

Im in the same boat. where do i get the new bitshares wallet? I donated from my mycelium wallet.
It would be nice if there were simple instructions in a obvious location on what has to b e done in order to claim after you donate
 This whole experience is way too confusing and complicated, so many non specific help instruction like "you need to import your private key into the new wallet" yeah well how about clear instruction on where to obtain the new wallet or when the new wallet is available and then how to import your private key into it.
If your average joe visits this forum and has just got his head around bitcoin and has even managed to donate a few, he would seriously think everyone on this forum is from another planet and speaks their own made up mumbo jumbo language. This place needs step by step simple instruction on how to do things no digging through pages and pages of dribble to find it.

I think you will get lot of answers here: http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_X_Solutions
BitSharesX official release thread: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=5750.0
Download latest wallet from: http://bitshares-x.info

Offline tigers05

• View Profile
Im in the same boat. where do i get the new bitshares wallet? I donated from my mycelium wallet.
It would be nice if there were simple instructions in a obvious location on what has to b e done in order to claim after you donate
 This whole experience is way too confusing and complicated, so many non specific help instruction like "you need to import your private key into the new wallet" yeah well how about clear instruction on where to obtain the new wallet or when the new wallet is available and then how to import your private key into it.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
The consensus on how to secure this is actually to use an extra key for each "IPO" and move funds (in btc/pts)  before importing it into bitshares.

We once had this discussion when memorycoin decided to 'airdrop' on PTS.

Offline dawsy123

• View Profile
Thanks heaps. Looks like ill have to trust the maidsafe guys to...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Hello

Im hoping someone can provide me some guidance.
sure ..
I donated to AGS from a mycelium wallet on my android. I do have have access to the private key.

Will i be able to receive my Bitshares?
Access to the privkey is all you need

Will the wallet be compromised afterwards? - Im thinking of using the same wallet for the safecoin IPO
You will need to import the privkey into the new bitshares wallet .. Unless you mistrust the developers, your privkey is not compromised. You can reuse it!

Is there anything else i should be concerned about?
Nothing I can think of ..

Offline dawsy123

• View Profile
Hello

Im hoping someone can provide me some guidance.

I donated to AGS from a mycelium wallet on my android. I do have have access to the private key.

Will i be able to receive my Bitshares?
Will the wallet be compromised afterwards? - Im thinking of using the same wallet for the safecoin IPO

Is there anything else i should be concerned about?

Cheers
Steve