Author Topic: Ides of May is coming  (Read 1823 times)

Offline NewMine

• View Profile
The great Val Kilmer once said:

Without deadlines and restrictions I just tend to become preoccupied with other things.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
[Bytemaster, don't bother reading this. Your time is more valuable.]
----

And said the master to the student, "go out into the world and seek ye the answer to this question: what is the true definition of 'ides'? For when that question ye have answered, the truth ye shall know."

"That's easy," said the pupil. "The Romans used "ides" to refer to the middle of the month."

"Perhaps that is so," said the master. "And yet you still believe there are four quarters in a year. Clearly, you have some pavement to pound."

There wasn't any door to hit him on the way out. Many moons hence, the student returned. "I finally got it," he said. "I know the answer to the question. 'Ides' is the date by which the first half shall have ended."

"Pretty good," said the master. "How many quarters are there in a year?"

"Five?" The apprentice cringed, knowing it was simply a guess. 'Four' hadn't gotten him very far last time.

"The problem with the Romans," said the master, "is they didn't know the meaning of overtime. Nobody ever tossed the pigskin in the Hippodrome. You are guessing there is more to life than meets the eye. On this score, you are correct. But you still do not know the true measure of the meaning. Or the meaning of the true measure. If you catch my drift. Which you most assuredly do not."

"Hippo skin?" The student went out again into the world. Months past. When he finally returned almost a year later, he looked like he'd just had a vision. Or maybe a pleasurable peak moment.

"Did you figure it out yet, son?" The master asked.

"No, coach. I don't know how many quarters there are. But I found a more complete answer to the definition. The 'ides' is the date by which all other dates are measured. And because it is relative, nothing else is really fixed. The damn game can go on forever...until..."

"...until there's a winner!" The master clapped his hands together as he finished his pupil's sentence. "And did you win?"

"Of course." The student emptied his pocket. It was full of quarters, which spilled out onto the ground. There looked to be many dollars' worth of good coin.

"And how did you become such a winner?"

"I ran an IPO for myself on Bitshares Me. My stock rose, even as I paid back my investors. They won. But I was a winner, too. Still, I haven't a clue how many quarters there are. I realized the time didn't matter nearly as much as getting it right."

"Plenty of quarters in the year. Plenty of fish in the sea. Fucking genius, kid," said the master. "Now help me up."

He arose from his squat and grabbed up the quarters. "I gotta take me a walk and stretch these legs. Arthritis is a real bitch. You sit down. You the new master now."
----

Translation: What does it all mean? Just that I'm lousy at fiction. In the time it took you to read that story, our DAC products are that much closer to completion. I kept the reader from bothering Bytemaster for a short time.

Man's gonna get it right and we're not gonna care how long it took. Better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:39:59 am by donkeypong »

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Spring 2014 is shaping up to be our most exciting quarter ever!

This quote comes from the newsletter in March, 'Unconquered Horizons'.

Hope Summer 2014 will be our most exciting quarter EVER.

Yes, each season more exciting than the last - to infinity and beyond!   :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline muse-umum

• BitShares everything
    • View Profile
Spring 2014 is shaping up to be our most exciting quarter ever!

This quote comes from the newsletter in March, 'Unconquered Horizons'.

Hope Summer 2014 will be our most exciting quarter EVER.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the giving, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who hacked here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these alpha geeks we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these geeks shall not have tried in vain ...

with apologies to Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline jwiz168

• View Profile
Uhem the first time I came across with word "ides" was at this forum. It was very significant period that the word is pertaining to.  Ides of March . It was very historical for the Romans. Fast forward it would have been also a breakthrough period. Now the Ides of April also has passed and we are now on the verge of having the Ides of May. Working meticulously with the BTS XT code is very hard process. All the coding and testing that developers endure seem to be endless. Scheduling a release will not anymore be as significant but the return of investment will still be relevant. As the word "Ides" is now pertained to two infamous events in time. Ones was with the Romans and the other was Invictus.  8)