Author Topic: Entertainment/Webseries DAC  (Read 3458 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Pretty much. Now the question becomes, why would people want to buy those shares?

"To make use of all these DND services"

But wait, those services people you were just proposing to *pay* with these shares!

Do you see why the DAC has to perform a service of some kind? You're right, all it can do is re-arrange shares, which means all it can do is set up incentive structures. Sometimes, the incentive structures themselves cut economic loss and so appear to be *generating value* because there will be a source of demand for these shares.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
You're describing ways for the DAC to pay people but not ways for people to pay the DAC

So my assumption would be that people could donate btc/pts but I recently read that DACs can not contain a private key.  Duh.

So that means you have to have shares that are traded on a market ?

So I start up DND gameseries.  I create shares and people buy them on a market ?  The shares are then transferred to the DAC as donations which can redistribute them according to rules put forth and enforced by the network ?  Is that how this has to work ?

Would you explain a little bit more Toast?  Or correct/confirm my thoughts ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Tigerlore

• View Profile
You're describing ways for the DAC to pay people but not ways for people to pay the DAC

Then I guess it's not a DAC. No biggie.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Tigerlore

• View Profile
Hold on a sec, I think I see a possibility for a DAC here.

A fan club/marketing department.

Basically it would be as I outlined above, but 30%-40% of the weekly disbursement of coins goes to the fan club. They would have an elected officer, who would receive a salary and the rest of it they would use for promotional efforts.

Granted, the majority of the voting power would be in the hands of the production and development team, but how the public is voting would be a good signal to follow. Regularly changing the people in marketing is a good strategy anyway for fresh ideas and approaches, and this would be a good recruitment technique. Also having community members competing for who is the biggest fan boy would be fantastic.

Cryptocurrency really needs artists and entertainers. The general public doesn't care at all about most of what the cryptocurrency community thinks makes it valuable. They need artists to tell them it's cool. It's dumb, I know, but that's how things work.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

While a lot of things could be stored in the blockchain, it doesn't always seem necessary or a particularly good fit.

I think having a DAC take care of donations and have them distributed via votes to be a good idea.  There are a lot of variations on this idea, but if you form it around a DAC you can have various sized donations given to various people utilizing a fair/transparent voting system.  How do you determine who can vote ? 

Having the content kept in the blockchain insures it isn't lost, but you could never do it for podcast type data due to the space requirements.

Offline Tigerlore

• View Profile
Yeah, I guess don't really see any practical way to use a DAC for this.

The best idea I've been able to come up with so far is a pure POS coin that scales from @1000% to 2% inflation over the first three years and then stabilizes. There would be an initial pre-mine which would be given away as rewards to the players, the GM, devs. and to the public for sharing, likes, etc in the first 3 years on the same declining curve. Every week there would be an amount of coin to be distributed and it would be divided proportionately among the contributors and according to the value of their contribution.

After 3 years, we would hopefully have a large enough audience to sell T-shirts, bonus content, advertising, etc.

Hmm, I worked out the "pre-mine giveaway" idea right here. This might actually work. Definitely would need a dev that could figure out how to automate the link verification and coin distribution process but that doesn't seem impossible.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

This would be great if ti was explained.  I posted vaguely something similar. 

DACs seem quite powerful for the enabling of shared content creation. 

My suggestion was using it to request/pay for technical/support documentation.  So many open source projects lack anything resembling professional documentation one expects with a paid product.  I understand why, but I think it could be fixed if enough users were willing to donate to a DAC which is basically a kickstarter of sorts to handle payments and all revisions of the content.

With DND you could even have an audience type participation vote on the actions of the DM.

Offline Tigerlore

• View Profile
This is somewhat related to gaming, so I'm putting it here.

For the last couple of years I've been dreaming of creating a podcast/webseries that is a D&D-style actual game play. There are a fair number of them out there and a couple are even profitable. I think I can do better. :)

I think a show like this would be a great way to promote an alt-coin and the coin could support the show.

There would also be the opportunity to create a game, either downloadable, or online, or both that would incorporate the coin. Part of my "masterplan" to make a better podcast is great art. I'm building my skills using Blender to create that art. Art created in Blender can be imported into various game engines.

I'd like to use the incentive of getting paid to recruit top-notch role-players and hand out coins to the public for liking, sharing, commenting, etc. Not to mention web/game/coin developers needing to get paid. Eventually I could release the art I've created and encourage others to create their own webseries' under the brand-name and it might be nice to see those who do it well rewarded for their effort.

I want to see people rewarded for the actual work they do, not make-work like mining. How can a DAC, bitshares, or some other form of cryptocurrency, help make this a reality?