Author Topic: BitShares PTS2 - Community Input Thread  (Read 48765 times)

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I don't see the reason that we need to keep PTS1 alive.
+5% let that thing die! Cant be use for spending anyway .. confirmations take several hours atm

Why bother changing pts1 when be can go for dpos

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
I don't see the reason that we need to keep PTS1 alive.
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
dear stan ,maybe you dont know that most Chinese investors are realy confused and angry. you have to make it clear ,not make things more and more complicated,3i dacs have not growed up yet. pts1 and pts2 co-exist will lead to many  serious problems. you have to realize it,things are not
that simple...we discuss a whole day long,we will let someone good in English tell that...but you realy have to shot down pts 1.0....i love 3i and i am one of the most bts holder ....i agree 3i every time, and i wait patiently without any words,   but this time, make me feel really really really upset. When i say upset,i mean really upset

Thank you for reaching out in such a nice polite way.

Here are the things we can do to minimize the impact of the upgrade:

1.  Make it clear that PTS is being upgraded like any hard fork is announced.
2.  Work with the exchanges so that the new version replaces the old version.

Done.

This would be less confusing and is the easiest thing to do, except for those that would call such a "forced upgrade" heavy handed and "arrogant".

So the alternative is to offer the upgrade as the new chain that it is and let the market decide.  That is the purest form of community rule - let the market decide.

Both are equivalent in end results.  One is easier to understand, the other perhaps easier to accept.

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Stan: please then focus on marketing and describe you incentives so that everyone (espescially pot. Newcomers) understand your desicions .. otherwise i can see way they will not call it a premine!!

Have we considered a charity fund? maybe with a nlocktime?

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
ProtoDuck  :)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using Tapatalk

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
PTS2 seems fine to me.  Maybe after some time assuming PTS1 dies people will just end up calling it PTS.

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
My apologies to delulo, I hit the wrong button and lost his post.  Here's what I had in my paste buffer:

PTS2 will honor all shares of PTS one-for-one, with the remaining unmined PTS shares mapped to a "reverse angel" marketing fund to help grow the value of PTS2 - and all its children.'''
So this is just another way of saying "the unmined PTS will be added to the AGS funds. They will be used for the same purpose as the AGS funds which is to develope the ecosystem". Am I right there Stan? So I guess the spending of those PTS will also be included in the AGS spending spread sheets?

Unless we do something dead simple like a simple air drop snapshot to Dogecoin owners or something, then the funds will have to be targeted manually.  But reaching out to a broad group of new people or sponsoring contests and multiple good ideas can only really be done manually. 

The best way we know to do this is the BitShares Trust model - a public address and spreadsheet where everyone can see how the funds are being used.  The only difference is this address will have a shrinking balance as the funds are distributed - hence my "inverse angel" metaphor.

This is a good test of what we expect developers to do for most new DACs.  Any DAC that (wisely) sets aside a fund to develop, promote, and maintain itself (e.g. 45/45/10) will need to use a similar approach.  PTS2 is just the first protoDAC to demonstrate this approach.

We want to keep the funds separate from the AGS trust for one very big reason:

It is a dramatic way to illustrate the tangible benefits of moving away from mining.
:)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH

Offline Stan

• View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
Bitshares-PTS2 - or another more inspiring name? I like PTS name, just it might be an opportunity to rename / simplify the branding nomenclature, instead of adding a 2; these shares might be argued to no longer be "proto" or early shares, so maybe this would become a misnomer? Also, the full name of the coin is currently Bitshares-PTS, the S also referencing shares for the second time in the same phrase. Possibly, simplify the naming system.

The PTS2 name is a working title for use in these forum discussions.  Better names are of interest.  Since the old software will still be out there for a little while, we can't just have the new code use the old name as if nothing has happened.  It needs to be instantly recognizable for what it is - an upgrade replacement for a well known chain.

"Proto" still captures the ideas that this chain is the "prototype" from which all other chains are derived.

Ideas?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
correction to the below... PTS Snapshot in BTER I understand will give you the balance from the BTS snapshot...

However if they can do something similar so the moment that your PTS2 snapshot is taken, they credit your balance with PTS2 that would be great. It will be a fair solution for the ones that want to sell their PTS1 after the snapshot without having network delays to send the funds from our wallets to the exchange...

Can this be done?

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
The order of events must be carefully planned.. There are two months until the end of AGS donations. We want publicity on launch of good products.

I want a 10 step plan for the next 3 months. Make a plan, visualize it, and watch investor confidence grow as you check the steps in the plan.

Moreover, it makes things concrete for us to evaluate. It is impossible to give feedback on one thing with 9 unknowns.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:34:29 pm by CLains »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
correction to the below... PTS Snapshot in BTER I understand will give you the balance from the BTS snapshot...

However if they can do something similar so the moment that your PTS2 snapshot is taken, they credit your balance with PTS2 that would be great. It will be a fair solution for the ones that want to sell their PTS1 after the snapshot without having network delays to send the funds from our wallets to the exchange...

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Pts_s at bter is the snapahot for bitsharesx take 28th of feb.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
In BTER under wallet balances there is PTS and there is PTS Snapshot. Anyone knows what this is? Can we send PTS in BTER and once the snapshot is taken the PTS2 balance will appear as well? If that is what it is can we do this in cryptsy as well?

What are the risks that BTER closes down because it is a Chinese website?

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile

I am afraid of the public opinion calling these 15% a premine (which its is, if 3i holds the privkey)   thus will tank the price imo.

We should really consider a community fund.

Who exactly defines the community?

I invested because I trust I3 to make good decisions on behalf of the community.  They also take community feedback and take it into consideration (I think that was the original intent of this thread.)
Everyone who invested must have had some faith in them to do this.

Who gets to define who controls a "community fund" or who is the "community"?

Is someone with a large stake who doesn't post on the forum part of the community?  What about someone who posts a lot on the forum but may have a small stake and a bigger stake in competitors?

I didn't invest to have money spent and decisions made by a democratic poll of forum trolls, sockpuppets, the uninformed, the easily influenced, the wolves in sheep's clothing etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:19:16 pm by Agent86 »