Author Topic: We desperately need better Public Relations: The Call Out  (Read 4908 times)

Offline fuzzy

Plus, they should be done on an entirely different section, for annoucements only, where people could easily have access to them. I feel I have to hunt for info around the forum sometimes.

+5%
hm......  ;D
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Plus, they should be done on an entirely different section, for annoucements only, where people could easily have access to them. I feel I have to hunt for info around the forum sometimes.

+5%
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Akado

• View Profile
  • BitShares: akado
Anyway, here are some guidelines that might help you make better announcements in the future.

1) When you make an important announcement, don't obfuscate it in a random ass thread
2) If you're going to make an announcement, be concise and thorough on your first attempt. This is the post the most people are going to see by a wide margin. make it count
3) Please, please, please make an effort to differentiate when you're posting on behalf of Invictus and when you're posting a personal opinion. Sometimes you qualify your sentences with "We" and "In my opinion" but I hope you can understand how you swapping back and forth between these 'personas' under the same account can make it difficult to distinguish between the two. I suggest a new handle for when you wanna play Invictus

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Number 1

• View Profile
http://maxborgesagency.com/

Max Borges Agency is a PR firm interested in this technology. They might not understand it as well as Dan/Bytemaster but who does? They seem to understand Blackcoin well enough to handle PR for that community so why not contact them and find out what they can do for the Bitshares community?

The Blackcoin price has been going up recently and so far Max Borges Agency has had a good start.

Also they were willing to accept some of their payment in Blackcoin which is a really good sign in my opinion.

+1

That's actually really cool, and also a great PR move by the firm. It reflects very well on Blackcoin that a legitimate institution (outside of crypto, even better) has enough faith in the product to accept Blackcoin as if it were cash! I wonder how much of their payment is actually in Blackcoin? even if it is an insignificant number, they can still truthfully make the statement so it probably doesnt matter too much

outsourcing PR to an agency as luckybit suggested, or even meeting with a consultant for a while and hashing out some processes to use in the future could be a good choice while you guys build the capabilities to do it yourselves
PTS: Pj8UH9ExVidcFd4LKtEgPSrwrtpYhPhug8

Offline solaaire

• praise the sun!
    • View Profile

Max Borges Agency is a PR firm interested in this technology. They might not understand it as well as Dan/Bytemaster but who does? They seem to understand Blackcoin well enough to handle PR for that community so why not contact them and find out what they can do for the Bitshares community?

The Blackcoin price has been going up recently and so far Max Borges Agency has had a good start.

Also they were willing to accept some of their payment in Blackcoin which is a really good sign in my opinion.

That's actually really cool, and also a great PR move by the firm. It reflects very well on Blackcoin that a legitimate institution (outside of crypto, even better) has enough faith in the product to accept Blackcoin as if it were cash! I wonder how much of their payment is actually in Blackcoin? even if it is an insignificant number, they can still truthfully make the statement so it probably doesnt matter too much

outsourcing PR to an agency as luckybit suggested, or even meeting with a consultant for a while and hashing out some processes to use in the future could be a good choice while you guys build the capabilities to do it yourselves

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
Yeah... I would love to refine it.  I think what we have discovered is that attempting to have an open 'just-in-time' conversation with the community leads to confusion because no one can follow it all (except the insiders).   

On the other hand the confusion and debate has refined our thinking and taught us a lot.  So our premise for development (extreme openness) is one that needs to be tempered with setting the expectation. 

The other extreme is the apple approach, extreme secretiveness and surprise launches.   

I think we are growing as a team and we will figure this all out.  This is mostly just growing pains as I have never run anything like this before.

Pains are a good sign  :). My feeling is that there are SO many people committed to making this happen, that probability of any large-scale failure is exceedingly small. I believe you are correct that we are in some sort of truly uncharted territory, and I definitely commend you for keeping your cool. Heady stuff BM.
"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline bytemaster

Yeah... I would love to refine it.  I think what we have discovered is that attempting to have an open 'just-in-time' conversation with the community leads to confusion because no one can follow it all (except the insiders).   

On the other hand the confusion and debate has refined our thinking and taught us a lot.  So our premise for development (extreme openness) is one that needs to be tempered with setting the expectation. 

The other extreme is the apple approach, extreme secretiveness and surprise launches.   

I think we are growing as a team and we will figure this all out.  This is mostly just growing pains as I have never run anything like this before.   
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
This is one of the most concise and well referenced concerns about Invictus I have EVER seen posted....
 +5% well done solaaire

This one really hits home. And it appears that everyone agrees, yes?
You guys, PLEASE, take these concerns to heart.

We all believe your ideas and talents hold SO much potential, but so far your public relations have been borderline disasterous I believe IT IS a testament to the strength and forgiveness of this community that some of your blunders have not resulted in greater calamity. I am not even talking about missed deadlines (The reasons for the delays have largely been justifiable,  and most of us, even if we don't agree with every developmental decision you've made, are trusting of your ability to soundly execute your plans.) What I am referring to is a OPENLY apparent lack of Public Relations management.

I am not looking to place blame, because I am not privy to the inner workings of your crew. But you MUST find a solution! And for heavens sake, many, many companies have great PR. You guys CAN DO THIS. But first, you must RECOGNIZE that is your weakness!

Bytemaster, you mentioned in last Saturdays mumble chat that you are aware of a personal need to improve your interpersonal relationship skills. That is totally fine! Many of us have weaknesses far more embarrassing or shameful! But your company WILL SUFFER if you do not figure out a way to begin solving this problem immediately. And I think I speak for the majority when I say that IF you DO find a solution to this weakness, we may all be sitting on an Absolute GOLDMINE, both personally and collectively, that could unlock the potential for an ENTIRELY NEW ECONOMY!
Step up, and figure this out! Nobody doubts that you are capable!

We are actively working on that and we have recognized it for a long time.   Finding the right people is the biggest challenge as there isn't exactly a supermarket around where we can just throw them on the cart.   Even hiring a professional PR firm is a challenge because defining what we are is a huge challenge.

I can define what I am and what I do, but we have many different components that each need to be uniquely defined:

bitshares.org - organization of members + companies.
I3 LTD, .P2P, etc... each DAC has its own branding issues.

I have stepped back from the PR job and have tasked Gregory, Brian, Stan, Arlen to focus entirely on how to improve that.

I have sympathy, because of the transparent and semi-permeable nature of your operation, for your challenge around creating definitions and setting boundaries.

Bytemaster, you are clearly a great architect. The mind of an architect will formulate, refine, and re-define the boundaries and definitions within a field of focus until an adequate model for the channeling of the "strong force" within that particular domain. For a building designer, the force is gravity. For a software engineer, mathematics as expressed through a programming language. I would suggest that, to some extent, social outreach can be usefully contemplated through using  a similar rubric. People's expectations must be channeled.

A model is needed. By utilizing open-forum type discussions, WITHOUT a framework of clearly defined operational parameters, you leave yourselves vulnerable to unanticipated "attack vectors". This is simply the "strong force" of the prevailing social milieu going all wonky and amok because it does not have the proper outlet. While it is true that most people are to some extent irrational, it could perhaps be equally true that most people crave logic, order, and the "appearance" of success, and will gravitate toward these things.

The process of manifestation, from idea to realization, is often riddled with the outward appearance of indecision, loss, failure, hesitation, etc., along the way. Many times these things may "appear-to-be-true", when in REALITY the process IS in fact "on the right track" and will eventually lead to success. Unnecessarily exposing the community, and by extension the public, to the wrong parts of the process seems to cause mostly confusion, fear, and doubt.

Maybe a good place to start would be to decide which parts of your creative process you will bring before the community, and which parts you will withhold for further gestation, refinement, and tempering. This can be extremely empowering, as you will In fact BE more confident when approaching the community because you have taken the time to "noodle it over" before running excitedly to the peanut gallery with "this amazing new idea" you have . I don't mean to be crass, but I suppose the aforementioned suggestion is a reflection upon Stan's PTS announcements, etc.
(the specific topic of this thread)

I have heard many, MANY, times from members of this community the desire for more organization within the forums and website. Obviously doing things like making important announcements at the bottom of weeks old forums is patently absurd. Rather than assuming that the people you are trying to reach are willing to make a huge effort to keep up with the program, it might be wiser to assume that most people want a simple and direct way to review their confidence in their investment. I have heard the expression that "a strong product sells itself". This may be true in a world where you have exclusive and patented rights to a product, but in the world of open source you must have a strong and organized PR. You clearly know a great deal about organization when it comes to your particular field, so perhaps simply applying that skill to the field of PR might be a huge step.  :)

"Power and law are not synonymous. In fact, they are often in opposition and irreconcilable."
- Cicero

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
it seems we are on the right way!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using Tapatalk

Offline bytemaster

This is one of the most concise and well referenced concerns about Invictus I have EVER seen posted....
 +5% well done solaaire

We all believe your ideas and talents hold SO much potential, but so far your public relations have been borderline disasterous I believe IT IS a testament to the strength and forgiveness of this community that some of your blunders have not resulted in greater calamity. I am not even talking about missed deadlines (The reasons for the delays have largely been justifiable,  and most of us, even if we don't agree with every developmental decision you've made, are trusting of your ability to soundly execute your plans.) What I am referring to is a OPENLY apparent lack of Public Relations management.

I am not looking to place blame, because I am not privy to the inner workings of your crew. But you MUST find a solution! And for heavens sake, many, many companies have great PR. You guys CAN DO THIS. But first, you must RECOGNIZE that is your weakness!

Bytemaster, you mentioned in last Saturdays mumble chat that you are aware of a personal need to improve your interpersonal relationship skills. That is totally fine! Many of us have weaknesses far more embarrassing or shameful! But your company WILL SUFFER if you do not figure out a way to begin solving this problem immediately. And I think I speak for the majority when I say that IF you DO find a solution to this weakness, we may all be sitting on an Absolute GOLDMINE, both personally and collectively, that could unlock the potential for an ENTIRELY NEW ECONOMY!

We are actively working on that and we have recognized it for a long time.   Finding the right people is the biggest challenge as there isn't exactly a supermarket around where we can just throw them on the cart.   Even hiring a professional PR firm is a challenge because defining what we are is a huge challenge.

I can define what I am and what I do, but we have many different components that each need to be uniquely defined:

bitshares.org - organization of members + companies.
I3 LTD, .P2P, etc... each DAC has its own branding issues.

I have stepped back from the PR job and have tasked Gregory, Brian, Stan, Arlen to focus entirely on how to improve that. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:12:46 pm by bytemaster »
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline CryptoPrometheus

• View Profile
 +5% well done solaaire

- Cicero

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
+1 to the entire thread, I've complained about this many times.   My favorite of course is the "GET YOUR BITSHARE X WALLET HERE" thread posted on February 28th and still lacking the actual headline subject.  I don't think its sticky'd any longer though

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=3291.0
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
Stan responds by basically committing our marketing resources including "joint interviews and videos" for the price of 10% to AGS, to a project it seems like we know virtually nothing about.

your concerns make sense

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
Solaire, your criticism is warranted.  I hate to say it but Stan's posts have been really sloppy and potentially cause more harm than good.

I'll add another:
Freetrade announces a new lotto coin/"DAC" that gives PTS 10%.
Stan responds by basically committing our marketing resources including "joint interviews and videos" for the price of 10% to AGS, to a project it seems like we know virtually nothing about.

I feel he's showing bad instincts for "under promise over deliver."

Luckybit,
hiring a PR firm is not the way to go.  This is expensive and they don't understand the product and community.
I think there is a general sentiment that resources should be carefully conserved and focus heavily on development and tech.