Author Topic: NAME BRAINSTORMING THREAD: Blockchain units and artist issued asset  (Read 8065 times)

Offline yellowecho

Blockchain name: Bitshares Music
Blockchain units: Votes
Artist Issued Assets: Clubs

This should be relatable for music fans.. clubs as an asset class because it relates to a "fan club" and votes as a unit so all fans can "vote" on the direction of the "club".  It basically decentralizes fan clubs and incentivizes fans to be active in the project.  It's also an interesting direction because fans in the club could cash in their votes for tangible products like performance tickets, merch, downloads, etc. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like this could potentially help alleviate issues with bands not being properly paid by venues too... "Vote for our band to play ___ music hall!"  Similar to kickstarter, if enough votes are collected then the band could pay the venue for the stage and pocket the rest!

As a musician, I'm really looking forward to this project!  Fundraising for studio time, production, promotion, distribution, etc would be sooo helpful.  Bands currently use kickstarter which is fine but it doesn't empower or incentivize fans for their time and money.. and it's inflexible in its "prizes".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:53:07 pm by yellowecho »
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Xeldal

Blockchain units:  Notes
Artist Asset :  Riffs or Vibes  (eminemRiff  RhiannaVibe)

so many notes on that Riff

-or-

Blockchain units: Riffs
Artist Asset: Vibes

so many Riffs on that Vibe

Offline amatoB

• View Profile
Yes, I think 'shares' might be troublesome. Even 'notes' has a legal connotation, though it's more of a civil law term, so probably less of interest to the government than to private parties (such as promissory notes, which are often called notes). For better or for worse, I think we should stick to 'play money' terms until regulations become clearer. The ideal terms would be some happy mixture of descriptive (e.g. coins) and fun (e.g. chips).

I do like 'slices'. Some other cool synonyms: chunks, doses, drags, bites, plums, whacks, rations, fragments, scraps, shreds, portions, atoms, flakes, slivers, drops, splinters, snippets, morsels, snatches. I'd like to buy some snatches, please.

For more playful terms (for 'shares' or artist-issued assets), how about jangles, jams, bling, skins, assets, dinero, hoohas, wampum, gravy, bread, scratch, chips, chords, riches...

Then there are the traditional 'coin' alternatives: bucks, bullion, reserves, mints, etc.

The concept of 'building blocks' might offer another metaphor: units, blocks, frames, bricks, parts, etc.

How about "vibes" for artist-issued assets? That seems to go well with Arabic numbers (Artist X's ranking increased today by +100,000 vibes... list of top movers for the day and the week, etc.). The term 'vibe' also has at least some connection with the whole music theme of the DAC.

On a side topic--if using the word "share" is problematic from a regulatory perspective, maybe "stake" or "claim" would be better. Users would probably be more excited if the language makes it clear that they're participating financially as stakeholders and can "buy in" and "cash out" sometime in the future. On the website they can be given options to "buy a stake", "sell a stake", etc. Also, instead of using the byline "Own your share", perhaps "Stake your claim" or "Claim your stake" would cause fewer regulatory problems?

The interview with Eddie and cob was really good stuff, quite heartening and informative. Can't wait to see the website...

Offline bytemaster

Lets just call them 'votes'... how many 'votes' do you have, would you like to buy some of my 'votes'?
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
Will there be various types of artist issued assets, i.e. for artist, song and album?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Yes, I think 'shares' might be troublesome. Even 'notes' has a legal connotation, though it's more of a civil law term, so probably less of interest to the government than to private parties (such as promissory notes, which are often called notes). For better or for worse, I think we should stick to 'play money' terms until regulations become clearer. The ideal terms would be some happy mixture of descriptive (e.g. coins) and fun (e.g. chips).

I do like 'slices'. Some other cool synonyms: chunks, doses, drags, bites, plums, whacks, rations, fragments, scraps, shreds, portions, atoms, flakes, slivers, drops, splinters, snippets, morsels, snatches. I'd like to buy some snatches, please.

For more playful terms (for 'shares' or artist-issued assets), how about jangles, jams, bling, skins, assets, dinero, hoohas, wampum, gravy, bread, scratch, chips, chords, riches...

Then there are the traditional 'coin' alternatives: bucks, bullion, reserves, mints, etc.

The concept of 'building blocks' might offer another metaphor: units, blocks, frames, bricks, parts, etc.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:41:10 pm by donkeypong »

Offline bobmaloney

I think we may be better off leaving bips exclusive for bank and exchange chains.

I think notes are best fit for artist issued assets.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Which would you use for which?

Notes for the Blockchain Units? Or Notes for the artist issued assets.

Do you buy MetaliccaNotes with Something coin?
Or do you buy MetallicaCoins with Notes?
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
1. BIP, just like bitshares x
2. LyraAsset. Just like a star, another star, and another star and all a Lyra.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:27:14 pm by Amazon »
Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline bobmaloney

Ugh.

Well, coins are already synonymous with blockchains, so...

Coins and Notes?
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bytemaster

Perhaps Decentralized Autonomous Clubs with Slices. 

I think calling things shares, corporations, etc may draw unwanted attention and confusion.   As much as I love the analogy.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org

Offline bobmaloney

Blockchain units: shares

Artist issued assets: notes
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

Blockchain units: __________________  This is the currency our platform is going to use. EVERYTHING will be price in these units.

"Notes" would be the obvious choice for this, as it relates to musical notes.
Notes is also a slang term for that old money they had before crypto - referring to bank notes!
It'd be kind of ironic don't you think?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
Hey  everyone.

Need some of your creative brain juice!

Fill in the blanks.

Blockchain name: Bitshares Music
Blockchain units: __________________  This is the currency our platform is going to use. EVERYTHING will be price in these units.
Artist Issued Assets: __________________ This is coin or token the artist sells to his fans to fund his career. Those assets need a family name. For example, RihannaCoin, EminemCoin, XzibitCoin, OneRepublicCoin, those would all be ____________. Just like a tree, another tree, and another tree and all a Forest.

So two things I need your input on. The unit of the Music DAC and the family name of the Artist Issued Assets.

Thanks!