Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 2059 times)

Offline bytemaster

I see no reason for a 10% cap on delegate transaction fee cut.  Why shouldn't delegates individually allocate 100% of transaction fees between destruction for dividends, their own cut, and funding development or charity or whatever they think the stakeholders want?

shhhhh, don't reveal our secrets ;)

Exactly.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I see no reason for a 10% cap on delegate transaction fee cut.  Why shouldn't delegates individually allocate 100% of transaction fees between destruction for dividends, their own cut, and funding development or charity or whatever they think the stakeholders want?

shhhhh, don't reveal our secrets ;)
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

The inactivity fee could just be replaced with total destruction of funds after a year or so of inactivity, but that might make people nervous.  Is the another reason for the inactivity fee besides eliminating the need for permanent storage of old blocks?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Absolutely. I'm not sure there's any way to run a simulation of this beforehand. People will need to understand that there must be some tweaking as this goes forward.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
 +5%
great post Tony. I share the concern, and agree that we should be thinking carefully about these things to get a better idea of the tradeoffs involved.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
You sure should....
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bytemaster

I think I recognize those thoughts.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Random thoughts.... (not necessarily mine)

Price Fixing in the abstract sense is anytime a parameter of our system is not based upon market forces. 

Examples Include:
1) 5% fee for margin calls
2) 5% fee for moving old outputs forward (inactivity fee)

3)Delegates’ cut of total fees 10%
4) Margin call when collateral falls to 150%
5) 200% initial margin

6) Number of delegates 100

Each of these numbers represents an 'arbitrary' choice based upon one opinion / estimate of what is optimum.   They are also static and the reality is that the optimum setting for these numbers must change over time.  So what works today may be 'too high' tomorrow.   In a low volatility market, calling margin at 150% may be entirely too conservative and many people would consider 200% initial margin to be too conservative.   The point is that all of these numbers represent a form of price fixing that could leave the market vulnerable to both competitors and in the worst case complete failure.

The network needs to gather meaningful, honest, information upon which to make decisions on where to set these numbers.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:05:07 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.