Author Topic: What Coins are worth DAC Air Drops?  (Read 13008 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
In terms of other Airdrops. It must have been suggested before but what about making DAC's that replicate the exact features of certain coins but with DPOS and other benefits. Then we give existing holders of the coin we just improved  80% equity. (20% for Bitshares.)

So it would be 'Litecoin 2.0' for example. People would have almost the same % equity as they did in Litecoin 1.0

I think that could have some potential.

That is what I suggested with Blackshares months ago and almost half the forum thought it wasn't a good idea.

But I think its stupid to promote Proof of Work when we are Proof of Stake. Why would we want to reward Proof of Work? Litecoin, Bitcoin, Dogecoin, these communities don't even like Proof of Stake so it doesn't make any sense to expect them to hold. They are going to spend whatever you give them immediately because that is the culture.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

In terms of other Airdrops. It must have been suggested before but what about making DAC's that replicate the exact features of certain coins but with DPOS and other benefits. Then we give existing holders of the coin we just improved  80% equity. (20% for Bitshares.)

So it would be 'Litecoin 2.0' for example. People would have almost the same % equity as they did in Litecoin 1.0

If you can present it to them as a gift and not an attack...  :)

The gift of technological improvement ?  Of owning a coin without constant downward price pressure ?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's a good point Stan, maybe Litecoin 2.0 might sound a bit threatening.

However in general if you are offering improvements and people are keeping almost the same % share as they already own in the new coin it should be received quite well.

With NEM for example which was a NXT clone that aimed to have better distribution.
As people were able to get a stake for free and therefore replicate some of their NXT position. It was 'generally' received quite well. I think it was also doing quite nicely CAP wise till a recent scandal, despite not really solving the issues it set out to and despite  being listed on the NXT asset exchange, (the coin it was initially improving on.)

So all in all a coin that represents a real improvement for users and lets them replicate their existing % stake for free should do ok imo.

Getting the support/blessing of key devs on target coins could smooth the process too.

I could see some anonymous dev releasing ltc 2.0 with DPOS along with a 80/20 stake between ltc/pts/ags and a timeline projecting the amount of time it will take for the original ltc holders to be "made whole" from the dividends
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

The gift of technological improvement ?  Of owning a coin without constant downward price pressure ?  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

It's a good point Stan, maybe Litecoin 2.0 might sound a bit threatening.

However in general if you are offering improvements and people are keeping almost the same % share as they already own in the new coin it should be received quite well.

With NEM for example which was a NXT clone that aimed to have better distribution.
As people were able to get a stake for free and therefore replicate some of their NXT position. It was 'generally' received quite well. I think it was also doing quite nicely CAP wise till a recent scandal, despite not really solving the issues it set out to and despite  being listed on the NXT asset exchange, (the coin it was initially improving on.)

So all in all a coin that represents a real improvement for users and lets them replicate their existing % stake for free should do ok imo.

Getting the support/blessing of key devs on target coins could smooth the process too.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Yeah I'm generally against airdrops too, as I think they will mainly just create downward pressure on price, it's like giving away free money, people will just spend it.

However given our marketing problem and declining growth/distribution trend, I'm starting to think it could be worth a try. With something like 'LottoShares with big charity component'.
I think by giving Doge 50% and essentially giving them ownership of it that a) A Bitshares DAC gets Doge marketing team and b) Dogecoin users will be less inclined to sell.

(With 50/50 they hurt themselves just as much selling their stakes as they hurt Bitshares holders, while with a 90/10 split they can essentially sell their stake at the expense of Bitshares holders who will be longer more faithful supporters of Bitshares linked DAC's)

I'm also inclined to think a lotto DAC giving less away to charity (and therefore more back to players) will be more successful so airdropping a charity lotto DAC is something I'm less attached to and willing to experiment with airdropping - that is something a lot of the main members on this forum are big supporters of.

Edit: I even think branding it DogeLotto or something is even an option.

The downward pressure vs the free marketing is a very good discussion to have.  You should show up Saturday mornings for the mumble session.  We can use guys like you with a lot of insight outside the technical aspects.

*note* I do not know how the lotto DAC works. I am making assumptions below.

There is also the issue of large volatility. If everyone in the airdrop gambles with their shares and it ends up in the hands of one person who does not want to be a longterm holder.  What happens if the winner just dumps all their shares ?  I mean the price will likely be a roller coaster and after being down really low, will people want to buy it ?  We are in such unchartered areas.  With a prize structure like a all or nothing lottery, you're going to REALLY screw with the market. 

I should post this in the gaming section I suppose...

I'm not sure how the current lottoshare format works or what % of the market cap the big prize could represent. You're right if it's too big it would decimate the price.

My suggestion was a model where shareholders are automatically entered into the draw, but the daily/weekly prize fund is determined by how much new money flowed/is flowing into the coin on average less a few %.

That way the lottocoin should be sustainable and your shareholding should gain in value (More money coming in than is awarded in prizes) even if you never win.

Maybe an idea to put on the backburner if this one doesn't work.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Yeah I'm generally against airdrops too, as I think they will mainly just create downward pressure on price, it's like giving away free money, people will just spend it.

However given our marketing problem and declining growth/distribution trend, I'm starting to think it could be worth a try. With something like 'LottoShares with big charity component'.
I think by giving Doge 50% and essentially giving them ownership of it that a) A Bitshares DAC gets Doge marketing team and b) Dogecoin users will be less inclined to sell.

(With 50/50 they hurt themselves just as much selling their stakes as they hurt Bitshares holders, while with a 90/10 split they can essentially sell their stake at the expense of Bitshares holders who will be longer more faithful supporters of Bitshares linked DAC's)

I'm also inclined to think a lotto DAC giving less away to charity (and therefore more back to players) will be more successful so airdropping a charity lotto DAC is something I'm less attached to and willing to experiment with airdropping - that is something a lot of the main members on this forum are big supporters of.

The downward pressure vs the free marketing is a very good discussion to have.  You should show up Saturday mornings for the mumble session.  We can use guys like you with a lot of insight outside the technical aspects.

*note* I do not know how the lotto DAC works. I am making assumptions below.

There is also the issue of large volatility. If everyone in the airdrop gambles with their shares and it ends up in the hands of one person who does not want to be a longterm holder.  What happens if the winner just dumps all their shares ?  I mean the price will likely be a roller coaster and after being down really low, will people want to buy it ?  We are in such unchartered areas.  With a prize structure like a all or nothing lottery, you're going to REALLY screw with the market. 

I should post this in the gaming section I suppose...
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
+5% .. although i dont see bitshares at a near-failure considering most recent development and in what short time the devs developed towards the first test chains ... imho ... still in 100% t(h)rust mode ;)

No I don't see Bitshares at near-failure either. I think it's got the best technical talent in the field. I have complete faith in Bytemaster to deliver the best products and adapt/adjust where necessary. I don't think anyone can compete with him/Bitshares.

The conundrum though is that awareness and interest in this field is exploding. NXT, XCP and Ethereum are really generating a lot of buzz while Bitshares is in the doldrums.

Although the technical delays are a contributing factor, I think Bitshares forum history metrics speak for themselves. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=stats . (3200 new members in March, 1800 April, 1600 May, 1100 at current rates for June - Point to a downward trend when our rivals growth is exploding.)
The fact that >50% of people (Who are Bitshares supporters)  think that the website is average at best https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4712.0 and our failure to help market the Lottoshares snapshot that just took place in any meaningful way stick out at me.

So my issue is just with Bitshares marketing. I highlighted it as the weak point a few months ago but since then have refrained from complaining too much as it would be counter-productive. As it stands, I'm still incredibly confident in my current Bitshares investment. However I would invest double the amount if I had confidence in the marketing. With only 30+ days of AGS issuance left I think I should speak up, because i3 may be getting much less exposure and funding because other investors have the same concerns I do.

We're all ears if you have specific, actionable suggestions!

I do have some thoughts and suggestions that I'll try put together in a post sometime on the marketing forum by the end of the weekend.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

No I don't see Bitshares at near-failure either. I think it's got the best technical talent in the field. I have complete faith in Bytemaster to deliver the best products and adapt/adjust where necessary. I don't think anyone can compete with him/Bitshares.

The conundrum though is that awareness and interest in this field is exploding. NXT, XCP and Ethereum are really generating a lot of buzz while Bitshares is in the doldrums.

Although the technical delays are a contributing factor, I think Bitshares forum history metrics speak for themselves. https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?action=stats . (3200 new members in March, 1800 April, 1600 May, 1100 at current rates for June - Point to a downward trend when our rivals growth is exploding.)
The fact that >50% of people (Who are Bitshares supporters)  think that the website is average at best https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=4712.0 and our failure to help market the Lottoshares snapshot that just took place in any meaningful way stick out at me.

So my issue is just with Bitshares marketing. I highlighted it as the weak point a few months ago but since then have refrained from complaining too much as it would be counter-productive. As it stands, I'm still incredibly confident in my current Bitshares investment. However I would invest double the amount if I had confidence in the marketing. With only 30+ days of AGS issuance left I think I should speak up, because i3 may be getting much less exposure and funding because other investors have the same concerns I do.

I do agree the points here. I can see the forum volume going down tremendously in the past several months, and we have like 1-2 new active members per day compared to beginning of the year (30-40/day). Even the XTS test did not attract new members. It is not a good sign as we are getting close to a release and end of AGS donation.

From the news I read. Ethereum are having lots of local meetings globally. Counterparty team traveled to Silicon Valley to promote the product. Maidsafe had more than 500 devs signed up to participate the project. NTX AE are having close to 100 assets now and is the first choice for new projects now. I agree we are in the doldrums. And the new website can not even satisfy the current users. We need some modification in the marketing strategy.

Airdrop might be a solution here, but I don't think it will help much. Since the 50/50 promise for XTS allocation, the only thing we can airdrop is the XTS from PTS that in the AGS fund. If people never heard of bitshares before, we can't expect too much from the ~7% airdrop. And it may even cause a huge sell without good marketing. Lottoshares is supposed to be a good news, but even the PTS community are not fully aware of it.

Same to Empirical1, I have faith and confidence in Dan and whole dev team. But before we have adjusted the marketing strategy, I disagree with the airdrop, although Stan has stated several time that airdrop will happen.

I don't seem to remember saying "airdrop will happen", what was the context?  I have been known to advocate doing airdrops as part of a comprehensive targeted marketing plan, for example airdropping to a competitor's shareholders makes a lot of sense to me.

In general I use airdrop and snapshot interchangeably (a snapshot is a subclass of airdrop), so in that sense, many airdrops to AGS and PTS holders had doge-gone well better happen!   :)

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Airdrop might be a solution here, but I don't think it will help much. Since the 50/50 promise for XTS allocation, the only thing we can airdrop is the XTS from PTS that in the AGS fund. If people never heard of bitshares before, we can't expect too much from the ~7% airdrop. And it may even cause a huge sell without good marketing. Lottoshares is supposed to be a good news, but even the PTS community are not fully aware of it.

Same to Empirical1, I have faith and confidence in Dan and whole dev team. But before we have adjusted the marketing strategy, I disagree with the airdrop, although Stan has stated several time that airdrop will happen.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:23:58 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum

I do agree the points here. I can see the forum volume going down tremendously in the past several months, and we have like 1-2 new active members per day compared to beginning of the year (30-40/day). Even the XTS test did not attract new members. It is not a good sign as we are getting close to a release and end of AGS donation.

From the news I read. Ethereum are having lots of local meetings globally. Counterparty team traveled to Silicon Valley to promote the product. Maidsafe had more than 500 devs signed up to participate the project. NTX AE are having close to 100 assets now and is the first choice for new projects now. I agree we are in the doldrums. And the new website can not even satisfy the current users. We need some modification in the marketing strategy.

Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
+5% .. although i dont see bitshares at a near-failure considering most recent development and in what short time the devs developed towards the first test chains ... imho ... still in 100% t(h)rust mode ;)

We're all ears if you have specific, actionable suggestions!
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc