Author Topic: [GUIDE] Mining on Amazon EC2 using Spot instances  (Read 35723 times)

Offline wirel1

• View Profile
Re: [GUIDE] Mining on Amazon EC2 using Spot instances
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2013, 09:31:21 am »
Same issue , illegal instruction (core dumped) with 0.7avx on beeer via ec2

Offline runderwo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2013, 11:25:03 pm »
I'm using the ptsminer git version against beeeeer.  This same code works on non-AVX server (because it doesn't try to use AVX).

The binary jhprotominer against ypool fails due to outdated version and I can't find a newer linux version.
I got it here: http://www.theopeneffect.com/jhprotominer-yvg1900-M7c-linux64-core2.tgz

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2013, 11:09:43 pm »
I'm getting illegal instructions because of VMX.  Is anyone able to get VMX working (on the C3 servers)?

which version are you using? I mean the miner version and which pool?
If I helped you and want to show your appreciation donate any amount:
Pjem2V2FDPGZa6yAvpL2fN5yZKXYUNLSv5

Offline runderwo

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 11:00:00 pm »
I'm getting illegal instructions because of AVX.  Is anyone able to get AVX working (on the C3 servers)?

Edit: brainfart.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:28:58 pm by runderwo »

Offline Pocket Sand

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2013, 03:02:12 pm »
Great Guide, Thanks for the contribution

Offline Setil

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2013, 01:10:30 pm »
Guys becareful the new mine by yvg-1900 seems fishy, I'm running it on 5 of my servers and non are being registered at ypool. Its running pretty fast and finding shares I doubled checked my worker name and password and everything else is working.

I am looking at ypool and non of the servers are connected, my worker is not even active wtf...

Reverting back to the old miner I don't know who got those shares but I am sure I didn't.

He can keep that 10% gain in col/min I don't need it.

Try checking your params. I had same problem because of -m512 param. After I had removed it worker connected to ypool normaly.

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:08 am »
Guys becareful the new mine by yvg-1900 seems fishy, I'm running it on 5 of my servers and non are being registered at ypool. Its running pretty fast and finding shares I doubled checked my worker name and password and everything else is working.

I am looking at ypool and non of the servers are connected, my worker is not even active wtf...

Reverting back to the old miner I don't know who got those shares but I am sure I didn't.

He can keep that 10% gain in col/min I don't need it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 02:20:17 am by smokim11 »

Offline timegrinder

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2013, 03:00:04 pm »
Don't forget that when new clients come out they might be worth testing (especially if you can squeeze a little extra juice out of the instances)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvp4wwek8jpohj7/RlW6hzYqTz

is an example, though you'd need to change your launch scripts to compensate (eg remove build requirements, wget the relevant package for the instance, untar the archive and so on -- though each archive contains each memory size, it's not a simple argument (eg not -m512)).

Offline xhor

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2013, 02:50:47 pm »
Glad it helped ;)

And if you made $$load of PTS thx to that, you can always tip me at PgnxU3ttMAYh15hgoaVPXDaUdsFcnu2kVA  8)

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2013, 01:19:19 pm »
Xhor could you please post something for ypool?

After having lost 3/4 of my PTS/BTC in transfers from/to btc38 (after having made a *lot* in arbitrage), I'm taking a small break  8)
Seems like someone just did that, there: http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=736.0
Just take his commands, put then in the User Data part, and it should work right away. I don't believe the initial
Code: [Select]
sudo -sis necessary though.

Note: not tested.

Thanks I managed to figure it out after hours of searching and asking. I went with the c3.8xlarge I think its called that anyways its a 32 core server. I managed to get get for 0.7$/hour which was pretty profitable before difficulty went up today.

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2013, 09:39:00 am »
Here is a small guide to exploit the Spot instances @ Amazon and make a quick several hundreds i7 farm ;)

What is a Spot instance?

Some AWS instances are powerful, but they are quite expensive: a powerfull c1.xlarge instance (8 heavy cores) is at 0.730$/h (or 525$/month)
What is not well known is that Amazon will auction their extra unused capacity for much cheaper! Those are the Spot instances (see http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/spot-instances/ ) In our c1.xlarge example, you can get them at 0.07$/h (or 50$/month), or 90% less.
The thing is, whenever people ask those instances through the normal, expensive channel, the spot price will fluctuate, and if it goes above your offer, you'll get kicked out of your instances (they'll shut them down). So say you tell I want an c1.xlarge at 0.11$/h max, you'll have it as long as the spot price stay below 0.11.

How to use spot instances?

1. Register at Amazon Web services
2. Go to the EC2 service
3. Select the "Spot Requests" tab
4. Check the current spot prices by looking at the spot prices history.
This is in North Virginia in the US (us-east-1)

And this is in Sydney in Australia (ap-southeast-2)

So choose the region with the less fluctuations! I prefer Sydney and most of the Asia datacenters for that. You can choose your region by using the top right menu.

5. Click "Request spot instance"
6. Choose "Ubuntu 13.10" image, then a c1.xlarge instance, then:
Number of instances: Max this out ;)
Maximum price: As high as you allow them to run. The price is stable at 0.07$ best case in us-east-1, but fluctuate too much; it's a little bit more expensive in ap-southeast-2, 0.11$, but it never changes.
Persistent request: If you check this, and if you get kicked due to spot fluctuation, your instance will get recreated as soon as the price gets back lower.
Advanced data -> User data: IMPORTANT! This this the script that will get auto-executed when you instance is launched. Because you don't want to manually install the miner software each time you launch an instance... This is an example to mine at the beeeeer mining pool:
#! /bin/bash
sudo apt-get -y install git build-essential htop libboost-dev libboost-system-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-thread-dev libssl-dev libdb++-dev libminiupnpc-dev git
git clone https://github.com/donSchoe/ptsminer.git
cd ptsminer
git reset --hard 03e2d73566fb5b380fd3584e220894464a9a0510
cd src/
make -f makefile.unix -j8
echo '#! /bin/bash' > run.sh
echo 'while true; do ./ptsminer -poolip=ptsmine.beeeeer.org -poolport=1337 -poolpassword=xx -pooluser=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -genproclimit=8; sleep 1; done' >> run.sh
chmod +x run.sh
nohup ./run.sh &
Of course change the pooluser to your own, and change the git commit if you want to use another version of the miner... I had to use the 03e2d73566fb5b380fd3584e220894464a9a0510 commit because newer commit were failing...

Now, click "Review and launch", and then you'll see your spot requests turn green and the instances will appear in the "Instances" tab.
You can then review the script getting executed by ssh'ing into the instance...

Once you tested it for 1 instances, gogo hundreds of them ;)

Enjoy! And if you appreciated the guide, you can tip me at PgnxU3ttMAYh15hgoaVPXDaUdsFcnu2kVA ;)

Thx man for your guide...
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline xhor

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 06:36:32 pm »

After having lost 3/4 of my PTS/BTC in transfers from/to btc38 (after having made a *lot* in arbitrage), I'm taking a small break  8)
Seems like someone just did that, there: http://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=736.0
Just take his commands, put then in the User Data part, and it should work right away. I don't believe the initial
sudo -sis necessary though.

Note: not tested.

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 10:51:11 am »

Offline gee

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2013, 08:58:34 pm »
Oh I see.

I am planning to hold on the PTS, not to sell them right away... hoping that they will increase in value.
But I only have 6 so far :D
PTS: PrMPxrY1cG6ftfpy3Ae5NEBhW7bqNbVZU5

Offline smokim11

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 07:44:22 pm »
Are people still making a killing with this?
Through various providers, I got a few free VMs to test, some of them have pretty good specs (like on Azure), but I get maybe 5PTS a day... Unless PTS go crazy high I'm not sure how interesting this is... especially when I will have to pay...

What are the things I'm missing to make this profitable?

It was much better a couple days ago when difficulty was 0.000120 instead of 0.000514

If your looking for a short term profit then this won't work, if you think PTS will be worth alot in the future than using to mine would work.

I tried their 32 core server was getting 500 col/min. Wonder how much PTS a hour that would generate. That costed me 2$/hour tried it for 1 hour only though too much for my budget to be running 24/7