Author Topic: Stanford University Cryptography-Learn about the inner workings of cryptography  (Read 2237 times)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Basic cryptography isn't really that difficult compared to the Bitcoin blockchain

I think that's 100% backwards.

Blockchains in general only use crypto 101 concepts. "Crypto" has been overloaded to mean cryptocurrency stuff when really the mathematics we use in our systems are barely scratching the surface of actual cryptography... "It hasn't been peer reviewed"?, more like "it has almost nothing to do with it to begin with"

I guess it depends on which crypto techniques you're talking about. The stuff in that particular class doesn't look significantly difficult. I think the difference is that crypto is already invented and they are explaining algorithms which are old, problems which have been solved, there usually is a book you can look through to find all the math formulas you need.

Now you look at Bitshares and there is documentation, there is a systematic way to figure out how it works, and you're right the crypto parts are routine cryptography, but on a conceptual level and on understanding all the potential attack vectors I would say it's very hard.

You have a good argument when you say Bitshares may not be similar to Shor's algorithm or Shamir's secret sharing algorithm for instance. But if you look at a blockchain it does something unique which is not described in any book on computer science or cryptography really. I think people are underestimating the effort of building a functioning cryptocurrency from scratch, in my opinion the Cryptography 101 class is easier. I suppose the hardest parts would be the discrete probability math but if you can write the sort of code to make up Bitshares I would say compared to that it's trivially easy work.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:12:15 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
Dan's whitepapers haven't been peer reviewed, have they? Furthermore these classes are taught by professors that teach in renown universities. I think it is best for Dan to do his thing and work on the toolkit. Teaching will not really buy us much.

If Bitshares X works then I would rather receive a lecture from Dan than from some professor who hasn't written anything like that. Teaching is the only way knowledge can be distributed so if Dan is a wizard he has to set something up so the world can understand what he made in detail.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Actually I suppose stealth addresses are a non-trivial cryptographic technique, might have to wait until halfway through the crypto 101 course to cover material of that difficulty
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
Basic cryptography isn't really that difficult compared to the Bitcoin blockchain

I think that's 100% backwards.

Blockchains in general only use crypto 101 concepts. "Crypto" has been overloaded to mean cryptocurrency stuff when really the mathematics we use in our systems are barely scratching the surface of actual cryptography... "It hasn't been peer reviewed"?, more like "it has almost nothing to do with it to begin with"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Dan's whitepapers haven't been peer reviewed, have they? Furthermore these classes are taught by professors that teach in renown universities. I think it is best for Dan to do his thing and work on the toolkit. Teaching will not really buy us much.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

Interesting...

https://www.coursera.org/course/crypto

We need Dan Larimer to teach a class on DPoS and the blockchain.

At this point it's becoming so knowledge dense and centralized around so few people that it's wizardry even to experienced programmers.

Basic cryptography isn't really that difficult compared to the Bitcoin blockchain and I would say the Bitshares toolkit is significantly less complicated, but it's still complicated enough that most of us have only a high level conceptual understanding of it but not a low enough level of understanding to contribute code.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:35:57 pm by luckybit »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
you can expect a lot of 'strange' math such as calculations in galois fields, modulo operations, fourier transforms in fields ..

crypto math is tough .. but worth learning imho

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:57:50 am by liondani »