Author Topic: Dry Run 7: The Power of DPOS  (Read 127582 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I haven't had a chance to read all 22 pages.  What happened to the network last night.  Seems like my delegate node forked, and now on a rebuild I am having a hard time rebuilding the chain.  I've gotten stuck around block 2700 a few times now.  Looks like I am past it now (haven't unlocked my wallet) 

"blockchain_average_delegate_participation": 28.973034997131382,

And it looks like I am not the only one having difficulties?

Several people did massive flood tests, and Dan checked in a bad DB change which prevented syncing. So lots of delegates got knocked off.

The good news is that we seem to have recovered, in the sense that there is one longest chain and most delegates are on it. Participation is on the rise as more people build the latest / vote in new delegates.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
I haven't had a chance to read all 22 pages.  What happened to the network last night.  Seems like my delegate node forked, and now on a rebuild I am having a hard time rebuilding the chain.  I've gotten stuck around block 2700 a few times now.  Looks like I am past it now (haven't unlocked my wallet) 

Everything looked nice at first... until people started using/stressing/testing it.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline toast

• View Profile
Code: [Select]
--- syncing with p2p network, 10764 blocks left to fetch
Peer 59.54.114.187:53545 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid
--- syncing with p2p network, 16761 blocks left to fetch
--- there are now 23 active connections to the p2p network
What is "16761 blocks left to fetch" standing for?
Why is that number constantly increasing ?
--- syncing with p2p network, 86726 blocks left to fetch
--- there are now 25 active connections to the p2p network

That's a bug, you can restart and it'll go away

I just restarted...
This is 50 secs after starting the client.
Should I wipe datadir?

Weird... wiping shouldn't change anything. But also it's not a critical bug I think, doesn't affect anything
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline emski

• View Profile
Peer 59.54.114.187:53545 disconnected us: You offered us a block that we reject as invalid

I just restarted...
This is 50 secs after starting the client.
Should I wipe datadir?

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline emski

• View Profile

Offline kickky

• View Profile
Maybe a simple tut for non-programmers?
花爷PTS钱包地址:PmUahfrEvADd7KewwpcZwNBg6LNGgzCyAG
花爷比特币钱包地址:1Ggfyb5HN6Eb7S5j3zax3NpQ4V6ZWStHeh

Offline kickky

• View Profile
花爷PTS钱包地址:PmUahfrEvADd7KewwpcZwNBg6LNGgzCyAG
花爷比特币钱包地址:1Ggfyb5HN6Eb7S5j3zax3NpQ4V6ZWStHeh

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
can someone please explain this voting thing. i approved of vikram's delegates. i want to disapprove them but when i make transactions there approval stays. I also want to add approval to my own delegates but they currently have a fraction of my approval. from what i think i know each transaction votes for three delegates. is there a way that i can make transaction that votes or unvotes for more than that?

This answer from bytemaster a few post back maybe will partially help...

Quote from: liondani on Today at 06:44:14 PM
How do you explain that my best delegates "liondani" (27 produced 1 missed) is in the stand by list and 4 of my worst delegates that have 0 produced and about 2-3 missed are on the top delegates?(liondani-delegate-1, -3, -4, -8)

PS only liondani-delegate-1 has funds

There is no auto-voting right now.  Unless someone has given you an approval vote and then made transactions to that effect it will not change your ranking.

Is the delegate ranking based on the amount of funds transmitted by wallet(s) with wallet_approve_delegate  <delegate(s)> in each round, in total, other?  Perhaps you could direct me to some reference material pm the subject.

Thanks,
Fox

It isn't based on transaction volume, but instead every balance is voting for N delegates.  When you transfer funds you update the balance and the votes.

PS Actually I believe if "auto-voting" was enabled we would not had the lasts problems (not so hard at least)
     Because right now many delegates that was disconnected where on the top 101 only because of trust improvement (they where disconnected for a reason and that's why many of them  would get is standby mode after some autovotes when they started to miss blocks.... (or am I missing something!

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:24:34 pm by liondani »

clout

can someone please explain this voting thing. i approved of vikram's delegates. i want to disapprove them but when i make transactions there approval stays. I also want to add approval to my own delegates but they currently have a fraction of my approval. from what i think i know each transaction votes for three delegates. is there a way that i can make transaction that votes or unvotes for more than that?

Offline itnom

• View Profile
    • Bitsapphire - The web development group that makes disruptive startups happen
If you had delegates enabled it won't scan new transactions. That's why it appeared you disabled and rescanned.

Ok makes sense now!
Back our bid as a BitShares Delegate! http://bitsapphire.com/Bitshares-Delegate

wallet_approve_delegate bitsapphire true

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
liondani, take your delegates off, you havent produced a single block

that means I am on a fork?

delegates off do you mean:

wallet_enable_delegate_block_production liondani false
or delete chain directories and rebuild toolkit ?

PS sorry for my stupid question  :-[

Are your delegates even enabled? I doubt you are on a fork.
do "wallet_list_my_accounts"

if they say "NO" for block production enabled do:
"wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL true"

On my linux system  (Mint 17)

liondani (unlocked) >>> wallet_list_my_accounts
NAME (* delegate)                  KEY                                                             REGISTERED            FAVORITE       APPROVED       BLOCK PRODUCTION ENABLED
liondani *                         XTS7DcP75mjsqxMSKUjoS7pKZQd6ZVgJcE2LbJSyApHAjDEhT7ijv           2014-07-01T22:37:45   NO             1              YES                     
liondani-linux *                   XTS7kn3gC9d6iKeFxieMj2Sf5PSLuerYZZFzGBQC7Ktu2p1dsyGGE           2014-07-02T00:26:15   NO             1              YES                     
liondaniel                         XTS6d5fuzezqyaBqzSJY6ityNWV59nGxoaf3ydHLPhFZQGKpuSfhP           NO                    NO             0              N/A                     

On my win7 system

YES the where ALL NOT  ENABLED   
I fixed that , many thanks!

One question. I was sur I had them enabled....
Is it possible they switch off automatically when directory "chain" is deleted or for other reasons?  (forks etc.)

Offline toast

• View Profile
and make sure wallet is unlocked

Offline toast

• View Profile
liondani, take your delegates off, you havent produced a single block

that means I am on a fork?

delegates off do you mean:

wallet_enable_delegate_block_production liondani false
or delete chain directories and rebuild toolkit ?

PS sorry for my stupid question  :-[

Are your delegates even enabled? I doubt you are on a fork.
do "wallet_list_my_accounts"

if they say "NO" for block production enabled do:
"wallet_delegate_set_block_production ALL true"