Author Topic: Bitshares Me effectively from 28th Feb Snapshot?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Anders

• View Profile
That's all I know of:
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_ME

Compare this part:

"Conversely, somebody with a great idea for how to monetize something could create incentive for people to buy his stock by promising to return a certain percentage of future profit back to shareholders, by purchasing back a certain percentage of the issued shares and destroying it." -- http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/BitShares_ME

With:

"Say for example Occulus Rift, the new 3d gaming hardware that was recently purchased by Facebook for 2 billion dollars, had crowd-funded itself on ME instead of Kickstarter. They could have issued shares in themselves, and kept a certain percentage of them, say fifty percent. Then people wanting to fund this project could buy these shares, causing the market price per share to increase. As the price increases the issuer of these shares now has the option to sell and acquire the startup funds he needed."

If I create my own ME shares then when people buy them, the value of the shares would belong to the owners. Only if I keep a percentage to myself or buy shares myself would I own any. The first quote seems to be built on trust, so that if the issuer becomes successful then he/she will buy a certain number of shares and destroy them, which will make the price per share go up. I like the trustless model in the second quote more, but then for it to be trustless BitShares ME needs to have a guaranteed way of making sure that the percentage of shares the issuer keeps can be publicly verified on the blockchain.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline Anders

• View Profile
I haven't found much information about BitShares ME. I found this:

"So what is this ME proto-DAC franchise? Why, its nothing less than dynamically user-defined shares in anything, and even full-scale do-it-yourself “IPOs”! Sell shares in yourself. Offer custom shares in anything! It doesn’t take much more skill than you need to make a designer pizza. Then trade your shares against all other shares on a free open market where you can trade anything for anything. " -- http://static.squarespace.com/static/51fb043ee4b0608e46483caf/t/532f76d9e4b0f59c297b79a3/1395619545023/News%20Letter%2006%20-%20March%202014.pdf

I like the idea. The ME shares would as I understand it be completely virtual, meaning that the value would only be stored on the blockchain. This prevents fraud. The biggest risk is government regulation, such as laws making such exchange illegal or so heavily regulated that only big players will be able to issue ME shares. Hopefully the virtual nature of ME will make it free from government regulations.

If a company would issue ME shares, then those shares would not have real connection to the company other than the brand. The ME shares would not like ordinary shares represent the actual company. And could therefore perhaps be free from government regulations.

Offline Anders

• View Profile
I don't know much about how it will work, but maybe Bitshares ME can use BTSX instead of having its own cryptocurrency. And then it could cost a tiny amount of BTSX to create new customized shares, to prevent spam. And the ME shares themselves could be traded and given a value in BTSX.

The names of the ME shares could be squatted on or what it's called when people just hoard names. To prevent this one solution is that ME shares must have a corresponding domain name, such as OrganicShares.org and only .com domain names would be given an ME name without the extension, so that for example TechnoTokens.com would have the ME name TechnoTokens without any dot extension.

When registering an ME name, then the website owner must put a public key in a URL such as domain.com/bitshares-me-authentication.txt.

People without any domain name at all can be given an extension -me to the name, such as JoeSmith-me, or the extension -shares or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:39:02 am by Anders »

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Can we crowdfund a developer to work on BitShares Me? It's an important piece in the infrastructure and could be a good gateway drug. I'd chip in for a crowdfunded campaign.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I don't think there are solid plans for it... I have big ideas but they will have to wait a few months

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

It seems like it will be a fork of Bitshares X code base.

What functionality do they expect to remove from Bitshares X?  Is Bitshares ME not going to have market pegged assets?   What are the thoughts behind that ?

'Bitshares ME is not going to have market pegged assets' - That's my guess.

[edit] Plus,  funnier robots will be added.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:02:11 pm by TheOnion »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline gamey

• View Profile

It seems like it will be a fork of Bitshares X code base.

What functionality do they expect to remove from Bitshares X?  Is Bitshares ME not going to have market pegged assets?   What are the thoughts behind that ?
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Anders

• View Profile

Bitshares ME is designed for average user-issued assets.   The X chain will be geared toward major IPOs such as Overstock, Maidsafe, LTBcoin, etc and will charge a very high registration fee in an attempt to keep out spam from every one issuing their own personal IOU / IPO.   

Is Bitshares ME still being developed? For example it could have a sharded blockchain, such as a distributed hash table of 100 separate blockchains (or even more) to deal with a huge number of customized shares.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian

Bitshares ME is designed for average user-issued assets.   The X chain will be geared toward major IPOs such as Overstock, Maidsafe, LTBcoin, etc and will charge a very high registration fee in an attempt to keep out spam from every one issuing their own personal IOU / IPO.   

Regarding LTBcoin, things are happening fast over there, and if there is a chance at convincing Adam B. Levine to come over to BitShares now could be the right time.
See this post http://letstalkbitcoin.com/forum/post/its-expensive-using-bitcoin?page=1 where Adam says "It's Expensive Using Bitcoin!" for the distribution of LTBcoin. On page 3 of the post he hints at moving to DogeCoin. On page 5 someone says, "In the future, you can mirror LTBcoin on the Bitshares platform, or others. Maybe it will be cheaper.", and someone replies, "how would that work?".

Is this an opportunity to drum up some business? Could BitShares solve the problem for LTBcoin?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

From the newsletter it seems that Bitshares Me will be incorporated in Bitshares X, does that mean any AGS donations/PTS obtained March and afterwards will be useless for it?

If it is then that's seriously changing the deal. I scraped together money and continued investing after snapshot as I was led to believe that those will earn me Bitshares Me (amongst others). Suddenly depriving me of that is seriously wrong :(

So in plain language, the ordinary Me will be obtainable by current AGS/PTS?

The plan looks good

#TrustInBM

Yes
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

sumantso

From the newsletter it seems that Bitshares Me will be incorporated in Bitshares X, does that mean any AGS donations/PTS obtained March and afterwards will be useless for it?

If it is then that's seriously changing the deal. I scraped together money and continued investing after snapshot as I was led to believe that those will earn me Bitshares Me (amongst others). Suddenly depriving me of that is seriously wrong :(

So in plain language, the ordinary Me will be obtainable by current AGS/PTS?

The plan looks good

#TrustInBM

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

sumantso

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:27:37 am by sumantso »