Author Topic: MaidSafe IPO on Mastercoin  (Read 101292 times)

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
please create a new topic with  the name "maidsafe" at:

BitShares Forum » Project Development » Other Projects

and move this thread there...

PS open there the topic NXT also and move all nxt related threads also...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:41:39 pm by liondani »

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info
“We thought we’d have $7 million but we just have $3 million. That’s tough, but we’re coping,” he said by Skype. “This whole way of funding is new. It was like test driving a car, and we crashed into a few walls.”

David Irvine

read more here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/06/03/mastercoin-maidsafe-crowdsale/

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Here is why I think it will not scale.

From the whitepaper
"Files on Sia are distributed
to a large number of randomly selected hosts."

Intuitively this does not make sense to me.

This should not be random distribution if you care about access times. It should be according to an optimization algorithm. Usually it's something like ant colony or something where the chunks (not complete files) are dispersed in such a way so that accessing them becomes faster the more they are requested. Popularity should have some influence on duplication in the algorithm. So the chunks would have to be deterministically distributed to a specific number of hosts, but I will not nick pick too much on that.

Honestly their algorithm is quite exotic. It will probably work but because it's so exotic there will be few people who will relate to it in a way as to write apps for it for instance. The developers of Siacoin will have to post here or on Bitcointalk so we can explore the algorithm further but I do see how it could have problems scaling.

MaidSafe is an orthodox design in a lot of ways. The areas where it tries new things will either be a major success or will fail in the testing phase which is going on now. So we are finding out right now whether or not their design has merit. The rest is just about finding an economic model but I think once you built MaidSafe there will be enough natural inertia from the 500 developers they claim to have working on it to have an economic model emerge naturally if they let it.

Developers will charge Safecoins for their apps and Safecoins will gain value quickly if the apps are there. If the apps are not there then Safecoins may end up being not worth very much. I'm taking the gamble that the apps will be there and bought Safecoins in the presale as a way of getting a lifetime supply of them for the time when there is an app I have to use.

None of us can forecast.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:34:49 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

The demand for the product exists and will grow.

http://www.siacoin.com/

I know about Siacoin, when I first heard about it I didn't think it could scale and I still I don't think by design it can scale. Also they don't seem to have much code for me to review at this time so I cannot tell you if it's going to work in practice.

But I can say they made a prudent decision going with sodium. This leads me to believe the developers are competent enough on the cryptography end but I don't know if this sort of project is something which can be done as just a coin. I also see it as being a bit too blockchain centric and I've never really seen that sort of design before for cloud storage (which is why I'm skeptical).

Siacoin isn't going to decentralize the Internet. From what I'm reading it's just storage. MaidSafe is storage, computation and bandwidth. I will keep an eye on it though because designs can change, code can be written, and it could become something special.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:59:34 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline luckybit

• View Profile

They only COMMITED to do thing ...
Imho thats work close to nothing unless things get real

Reminder: If not mistaken, MaidSafe set aside 15% of the funding they received to pay those developers.
+5%

Now for all the people who don't believe in MaidSafe how do you think the politics of network neutrality will influence the price of Safecoins?

The demand for the product exists and will grow.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Reminder: If not mistaken, MaidSafe set aside 15% of the funding they received to pay those developers.

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
Actually .. those 500 only commited the selfs to build services on top of maidsafe .. not neccesarily support the core development ... just saying

"only"!?... that's everything BitShares should want too. Having people make useful the network gives it all it's value. Having a perfect product that noone uses is not a good outcome. I wonder that those successes will follow from a balanced approach to getting devs and community engaged.

Ma'am, if you'll just move along....
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline davidpbrown

Actually .. those 500 only commited the selfs to build services on top of maidsafe .. not neccesarily support the core development ... just saying

"only"!?... that's everything BitShares should want too. Having people make useful the network gives it all it's value. Having a perfect product that noone uses is not a good outcome. I wonder that those successes will follow from a balanced approach to getting devs and community engaged.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc

Offline cass

• /(┬.┬)\
    • View Profile
█║▌║║█  - - -  The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear  - - -  █║▌║║█

Offline liondani

• View Profile
    • My detailed info