Author Topic: Basic How To  (Read 3535 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
We need a voting HOW-TO...

1) Approve some delegates
   2) Transact your whole balance to yourself.

Items to note:
   1) If you approve more than 101 delegates, then 101 will be selected at random from your list.
   2) Nothing changes until you actually make a transaction
   3) When you do make a transaction votes are moved from whoever your stake was voting for to who it is voting for now.

You do not vote for a delegate by sending funds to that delegate.

An improvement over this could be a way to "Transact your whole balance to yourself" after hitting "cast vote" or similar button in the client GUI.
The concept of "Nothing changes until you actually make a transaction" while you've "approved delegates" in the UI is difficult to comprehend for first-time users.
It is easier to explain why "cast vote" button costs (as much as normal transaction fee) than how things work.

Yes, this! Voting needs a lot of help; it's very confusing if you're trying to figure it out from scratch. The idea of votes being weighted by stake will not necessarily be intuitive to newcomers.

I think a "cast vote" button in the GUI would be a huge improvement. It would also be good to add a basic how-it-works to the GUI voting screen itself.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline gamey

• View Profile
http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to

Please comment.  This will constantly be an in progress page.  This is also a first edition. 

If you are ever confused, visit dacsunlimited.com and download from there.
Thanks for your work.  My main suggestion would be to remove any unnecessary technical/crypto "jargon". 

Examples:

Instead of saying "Creating accounts using DPOS" just say "Creating Accounts".

Instead of "The associations between the accounts and your wallet are cryptographically private.", just say "The associations between the accounts and your wallet are private".

Change "If you continue to get errors, please make sure the username has not already been chosen" to "If you receive an error, please make sure the username has not already been chosen".

Change "This is similar to a "receive" address in a BTC wallet but not the same" to "This is similar to a "receive" address in a Bitcoin wallet."

Also, be consistent in your terminology, use "Bitcoin" instead of both "Bitcoin" and BTC.

This type of Basic how-to and or wiki is really needed.  I have been lurking around here for months, have a strong IT background and barely understand how it works and how I could  use it.

Thanks for helping people get started.

This (and bytemaster's) feedback is what I like to see.   Specific non-obvious actionable feedback !  Writing does not come naturally for me.  It takes a few passes to shave off the extraneous things.  I'm going try to to keep a balance with some educational content, but if it doesn't add value then I'll remove it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 01:55:33 pm by gamey »
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline Riverhead

Items to note:
   1) If you approve more than 101 delegates, then 101 will be selected at random from your list.
   3) When you do make a transaction votes are moved from whoever your stake was voting for to who it is voting for now.

This clears up a few of my questions.  Thanks!

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG

Items to note:

An improvement over this could be a way to "Transact your whole balance to yourself" after hitting "cast vote" or similar button in the client GUI.
The concept of "Nothing changes until you actually make a transaction" while you've "approved delegates" in the UI is difficult to comprehend for first-time users.
It is easier to explain why "cast vote" button costs (as much as normal transaction fee) than how things work.

Offline bytemaster

Items to note:

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline GaltReport

Please comment.  This will constantly be an in progress page.  This is also a first edition. 

Thanks for your work.  My main suggestion would be to remove any unnecessary technical/crypto "jargon". 

Examples:

Instead of saying "Creating accounts using DPOS" just say "Creating Accounts".

Instead of "The associations between the accounts and your wallet are cryptographically private.", just say "The associations between the accounts and your wallet are private".

Change "If you continue to get errors, please make sure the username has not already been chosen" to "If you receive an error, please make sure the username has not already been chosen".

Change "This is similar to a "receive" address in a BTC wallet but not the same" to "This is similar to a "receive" address in a Bitcoin wallet."

Also, be consistent in your terminology, use "Bitcoin" instead of both "Bitcoin" and BTC.

This type of Basic how-to and or wiki is really needed.  I have been lurking around here for months, have a strong IT background and barely understand how it works and how I could  use it.

Thanks for helping people get started.

Offline alexkravets

• View Profile
Thanx for the nice guide.

Can you explain how one imports a keyhotee identity ?

I tried running

wallet_import_keyhotee <firstname> <middlename> <lastname> <brainkey> <keyhoteeid>

With my middlename being "" since my keyhotee profile does not show a middle name and brainkey being the password that unlocks my keyhotee profile and I get this:

10 assert_exception: Assert Exception
false: Account name is already registered under a different key
    {}
    bitshares  wallet.cpp:1228 bts::wallet::wallet::add_contact_account

What magic incantation or trick am I missing ?
(yes I3 I'm making fun of how ridiculously unusable this release is for actual human beings / early supporters)

Thanx

I do not think this is supported yet.  Keyhotee was put on the backburner to get btsx out and liquid.

What does this mean ? Was there an official post that said that keyhotee import was not going to work in Bitshares X release ? Why is the command there ? If not supported, should early keyhotee founders create throw away accounts now ?

Offline gamey

• View Profile

I tried running

wallet_import_keyhotee <firstname> <middlename> <lastname> <brainkey> <keyhoteeid>

With my middlename being "" since my keyhotee profile does not show a middle name and brainkey being the password that unlocks my keyhotee profile and I get this:

{}

(yes I3 I'm making fun of how ridiculously unusable this release is for actual human beings / early supporters)

Thanx

I do not think this is supported yet.  Keyhotee was put on the backburner to get btsx out and liquid.

Offline alexkravets

• View Profile

I tried running

{}

Thanx

Offline Simeon II

• View Profile
Nice explanation ..
could you crop the screenshots to only show the main window?

Of course. :) I'm probably going to wait until a release with X background and not XT and redo them all at once.  It was late and I wanted to get something out there that can be linked to and should prevent anyone from getting hungup on the process.  Tonight I'll go over it again, get rid of the bullet points and create proper captions etc. 

edit - It appears I have outed myself. lol.  I am one of many, Friends of Bitshares.

No just rename yourself UF   ;D

Offline bytemaster

Note:  Saying an account is equal to a Receive address on bitcoin is going to cause misuse.    Please update the wiki with the KEY DIFFERENCE between our accounts and bitcoin:

1) With bitcoin you have one account per person you receive from.
2) With BTSX you have ONE account per public identity... most users only need ONE account and if they want to create more than ONE then they should know what they are doing and why.    If someone has more than a few accounts.... you're probably doing it wrong.

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Yuzu

• View Profile
The screenshots are very easy to follow.  Thank you.  Perhaps I'm missing something very simple, but is there any way in the Mac wallet to copy the account key to the clipboard?  Highlight/copy does not work.  In other wallets there is a 'copy to clipboard' button, but I don't see one here.  I feel like I'm missing something very obvious.

Offline gamey

• View Profile
Nice explanation ..

Of course. :) I'm probably going to wait until a release with X background and not XT and redo them all at once.  It was late and I wanted to get something out there that can be linked to and should prevent anyone from getting hungup on the process.  Tonight I'll go over it again, get rid of the bullet points and create proper captions etc. 

edit - It appears I have outed myself. lol.  I am one of many, Friends of Bitshares. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Nice explanation ..

Offline friendsofbitshares

• View Profile