Author Topic: skyscraperfarms, your new alternative marketing delegate!  (Read 8027 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
I still don't know where you are getting dilution from. How would you dilute the system that already has a fixed and decreasing number of share? If dilution was implied, that was not my intention, but I would like someone to point out in my post where I alluded to it.

Dilution was discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this forum.  You did not suggest it anywhere.  It was just an observation made by other people.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Ggozzo

We plan to up the min fee to 1 btsx but what you want to do requires dilution.  BTSY will have to try that out.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean about dilution? I was just saying price is so low that the fees don't really, or can't pay for anything beyond running a server at this point in time. So, I am not sure where dilution came from.

BTSY? What is that?

Your marketing tactic had such a pricetag that it would require dilution of shares to cover...  or fees would have to be increased a great deal.

I still don't know where you are getting dilution from. How would you dilute the system that already has a fixed and decreasing number of share? If dilution was implied, that was not my intention, but I would like someone to point out in my post where I alluded to it.

As for fees, I never said they need to be raised, I am merely pointing out the fact that the fees are "low" as in worth pennies at this point and no profit can be made. If BTSX was trading at $10 per or .12BTC per, the fee structure would be sufficient to cover a marketing campaign for a single delegate. That does not require the amount fees to be raised at all.

Offline jae208

• View Profile
http://bitsharestutorials.com A work in progress
Subscribe to the Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BitsharesTutorials

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
We plan to up the min fee to 1 btsx but what you want to do requires dilution.  BTSY will have to try that out.   

Not sure what you mean about dilution? I was just saying price is so low that the fees don't really, or can't pay for anything beyond running a server at this point in time. So, I am not sure where dilution came from.

BTSY? What is that?

Your marketing tactic had such a pricetag that it would require dilution of shares to cover...  or fees would have to be increased a great deal.

Right now we can get enough free marketing to not increase fees but at times things seem to stagnate. It does not seem like the crypto economy is growing very much right now as the market cap of Bitcoin has been the same and the price has remained almost exactly $600.

Bitcoin is in need of marketing in my opinion so that new people can join the community. Bitshares needs marketing also and perhaps if the market cap were high enough the delegates could do it without dilution or higher fees.

But right now it's not high enough to even make sense economically to be a delegate. It's not at he break even point.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline gamey

• View Profile

BTSY? What is that?

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Hello all!

I have seen the need for advertising the brand and I know you have too.  The "grass roots", "word of  mouth" efforts have proven to be lacking in effect. Even though for the past year a usable sellable product was missing, the interest in Bitshares pales in comparison with the likes of other projects which will remain nameless.

With that said, I have decided I will put the delegate shares to work on helping bring more people to BitsharesX. 

I don't plan on web advertising or attempting some impact through somekind of social media. I believe there are already people in charge of that.

My first target area is Silicon Valley and the surrounding Bay Area.

I have contacted Titan 360 in regards to pricing poster advertisements on B.A.R.T (Bay Area Rapid Transit).

I have contacted Lamar Advertising, BlueLine Media and CBSOutdoor about pricing billboards in the South Bay Area.

I have also reached out to RTUI for receipt advertising in the Bay Area. (Not sure if this would be a go. Haven't heard back on price and isn't the most effective way to advertise, but I'm looking for these type of alternatives).

All that said, these things cost money and the delegate role isn't even paying for the server I am currently running in order to be up 100% of the time. Also, my main advertising point would have to be the exchange and bitUSD. Both not operating on a GUI friendly level as of yet.

So at the current rate it may be a month or two before I bank enough shares and price increases to begin operating. Could be longer. I will be completely honest in that I do not want to put my own capital into this as I have already invested in the system through buying shares. If I sell my shares, I reap no reward for my efforts because my delegate pay will be going to ad costs.  My effort and time will be my personal contribution to such project.  :)

In the meantime VOTE/APPROVE skyscraperfarms.

I am a quite reliable delegate. I have a 98%+ reliability with near 400 blocks produced!

Thanks! Feedback allowed. Like it or hate, let me know.

This is the first post that has inspired me to want to become a delegate. I think I could do a lot for marketing if the money were available and I also think it's these sorts guerilla marketing campaigns which are better off decentralized.

But you highlight a concern which is in order to be a delegate it actually costs money at this time. I believe it costs somewhere between $5-10 a month? It's within range but it's still a loss and the share prices are actually going down which doesn't inspire confidence.

You have a good business model and I will keep watching and learning about what the best role of a delegate should be.

In other words, marketing at any scale outside of the arms of social media and forum posting is just not feasible. If price went up 1000% it would take almost a year to have the bank roll to subsidize the smallest campaign. At current prices, all 101 delegates would need to pool all their fees for an six weeks just to get started.

With that said, there should be no realistic expectation of a delegates to perform marketing duties.Invictus/Bitshhares/ DacsUnlimited need to be marketing since they have the bank roll already to do so. I am surprised this hasn't happened already, but that is for another thread. The only thing delegates can do at this point is the "word of mouth" campaign we all do already(with less than adequate results).  And unfortunately there is no way to quantify those efforts.

What are the expectations of a delegate then? I mean that is the problem. It's not exactly clear what makes a great delegate. A good delegate is of course a delegate meets all the technical and uptime requirements, is trusted by the community.

A great delegate has a measurable beneficial impact on the community. Marketing is actually a great way to contribute to the community and it's measurable.
Sadly, when price does increase, there will be less delegates willing to spend earnings on marketing for two reasons. 1. Greed. 2. Perception marketing will not be needed at the point when BTSX is flourishing and at all time highs.

Bitcoin still needs marketing. I don't think we'll run out of a need for marketing. I also don't see why a greedy delegate would have an advantage with voters.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 04:06:38 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Ggozzo

BTSY? What is that?

Offline 天籁

• View Profile

Fix the min fee to 0.02 BitUSD or equivalent BTSX!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:00:10 am by 天籁 »

Offline gamey

• View Profile

And it is expected BTSY would be created off a BTSX snapshot ?

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Ggozzo

The marketing delegate will live if the delegate has an audience

I think you missed my point. What I am saying is campaigning for a delegate slot on a platform of marketing is unrealistic at this point. The fees are too small and the price is too low to be able to any viable marketing. 

Pay per click on google would get you like 6 clicks a day right now. That isnt factoring in any cost to run the delegate.

I would love to be a delegate based on Marketing, but the math doesn't work out right now. The Bitshares Marketing team needs to get on these types of deals. A penny earning delegate cant pay for any needed marketing at this point. We need to reach out beyond the cryptocurrency realm, they all know about this. They are either for it, think its a scam or invested elsewhere (BTC, NXT, etc.). You need to bring the new people in. Get them to come here FIRST. If the exchange can get up and running, a lot of people on Wall St., Silicon Valley, London and Hong Kong will jump in. But they have to hear about it first. It would be unfortunate for all of us if these people had to stumble across this on their own. And possibly too late.

bitbro

The marketing delegate will live if the delegate has an audience

Ggozzo

In other words, marketing at any scale outside of the arms of social media and forum posting is just not feasible. If price went up 1000% it would take almost a year to have the bank roll to subsidize the smallest campaign. At current prices, all 101 delegates would need to pool all their fees for an six weeks just to get started.

With that said, there should be no realistic expectation of a delegates to perform marketing duties.Invictus/Bitshhares/ DacsUnlimited need to be marketing since they have the bank roll already to do so. I am surprised this hasn't happened already, but that is for another thread. The only thing delegates can do at this point is the "word of mouth" campaign we all do already(with less than adequate results).  And unfortunately there is no way to quantify those efforts.

Sadly, when price does increase, there will be less delegates willing to spend earnings on marketing for two reasons. 1. Greed. 2. Perception marketing will not be needed at the point when BTSX is flourishing and at all time highs.

This is the death of the Marketing Delegate. I would like to contribute in this way still. if you have any ideas, let me know.

Ggozzo

BART ads are going to cost at minimum $3500, see my email below with responses

What are the price points for the different posters?  Individual units run between $500ea to $2,500ea per 4 weeks for our standard formats (Large format units will scale higher in cost)
What is the length of time they remain up?  We run on 4 week increments up to annual campaigns.
Is there a minimum or maximum number of ads required? We have a minimum spend of $3,500 per campaign.  There are no minimums or maximums (inventory allowing).
How long does it take to approve and deploy after receiving designs? 3 weeks is our ideal lead time for receiving digital art for printing.  We can condense this if need be and do a 2 week turn.

So at the cheapest end we could get 7 smaller posters for $500 each for a 4 week period. Or 1 poster for ~7 months(not likely as they are looking for bigger campaigns).

This is going to cost a lot more than I thought. At the current fee structure and BTSX price, it will take years to bank that much money.

Billboards were quoted at between $1500 to $10k depending on location. The higher travelled highways with more visible boards cost more.  Based on traffic studies they can roughly calculate the number of potential views the sign will get and thus charge more based on that.

I haven't called the RTUI rep back yet as this was just a secondary advertising possibility.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:46:13 pm by skyscraperfarms »