Author Topic: Bitshares Go  (Read 2125 times)

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I like the idea of athletes releasing AthleteCoins (RonaldoCoin for example). Sponsors could buy rights to sponsorship level like people buy rights to songs. A percentage of winnings from compatition would be paid out to the coin holders.

The tricky part is how do you get money into the system without having to sell Nike, FIFA, etc. on the BitShares eco system.

Sounds like a good project for Cob to take on next :).

You'd also need to navigate the policies of the various leagues (e.g. MLB, NBA, NFL), which may well prohibit this type of sponsorship. While the NCAA (college athletics) would strongly prohibit this, there is a huge amount of money in college football and basketball, etc. As you may know, some students (I think from Northwestern University in Chicago) recently filed a court action against the NCAA, arguing that student athletes should be paid. I expect at some point, they will be paid more, not as a salary but probably via some vastly expanded scholarship program. Matter of time. Now if an Athletecoin system came out at JUST the right time, it seems to me there might be a role for it somewhere in there. The thing is that neither the leagues nor the teams nor the agents would make money off it, so as with music, it would be best applied to the low-to-medium level artist who has a good quality product (music or game) and might not get noticed otherwise but needs cash. Another option would be to approach an independent, minor league team (this could work in baseball, which still has a number of these). Offer to coin the heck out of their players, raise them some money to sign better players, and watch this take off virally as others realized they're actually making money doing this. And if you're lucky, you bet on a future star or two also, which would increase publicity.

Offline Riverhead

I like the idea of athletes releasing AthleteCoins (RonaldoCoin for example). Sponsors could buy rights to sponsorship level like people buy rights to songs. A percentage of winnings from compatition would be paid out to the coin holders.

The tricky part is how do you get money into the system without having to sell Nike, FIFA, etc. on the BitShares eco system.

Sounds like a good project for Cob to take on next :).

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
Thought more about this and it essentially could apply to even riders who already have sponsorship where they would issue tokens out to the public and have a set share amount sent to the sponsorship company (redbull, nike, or smaller companies like those who produce wetsuits, moto x parts, tires, etc.)

What would the legality of issuing a self IPO where a rider sets a number on the IPO, say .001 @ 1.5 million tokens?

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
So after more and more thought on this, I think the leg work seems to have been done by Bitshares Music and after reading through some of Cob's writing I am totally impressed. I don't know how to start this up but I'd like to reach out to the community to see if anyone is interested in working on this?

Bitshares Go / Bitshares Ride or maybe Bitshares Scout (scout meaning talent cultivation) which would be the name of the DAC that is described in the title post of this thread.

It would work exactly like Bitshares Music but would be aimed at Extreme Sports and would provide a platform for those riders of the world who have no sponsorship. In my mind, this would work best with extreme sports as the path those athletes follow are completely different than traditional sports (for example: baseball, american football, soccer, hockey and other team oriented sports).

For action sports, all it tends to take for someone to become known worldwide is the upload of a youtube video (please see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o Danny Macaskill and his viral video of 2009 which led him to enormous ventures and sponsorship) and this is the nature of virality nowadays and applies to many elements of hobby life and music.

I'd really like to try to develop this idea more but I don't have the technical skills to work on this and I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone would like to work on this with me.

Thanks!

Offline bennyliaa

• View Profile
Bitshares go for sponsors to its fields, sounds nice!
My Personal BTS Account: stephen

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
I've thought along similar lines. It's just a matter of time before gambling, sports, and 'find the next big talent' TV shows come together in a big way. The right DAC could be right in the middle of that, but good luck getting the formula right. The whole entertainment industry will be right behind you.

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
putting RedBull (the company) into a blockchain sounds interesting ...
Then I could have bought shares of Baumgarten :)

imagination is the limit

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
putting RedBull (the company) into a blockchain sounds interesting ...
Then I could have bought shares of Baumgarten :)

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I have mentioned in another post the need for indexes. If as an industry we could create indexes that measure performance of surfers, payroll of artists, home prices, unemployment rates, indexes in whatever you can think, we can then create DACs that give p2p loans repayable depending on the index performances.

for example we have an index for surfers performance worldwide. A surfer gets a p2p loan. If the worldwide surfer index is performing well then our surfer will need to repay the full loan. In this way he can pursue his dreams and if he is good enough to keep up with the index he could repay the loan. If the surfer index doesn't perform well, our surfer will not have to pay the full loan since it was beyond his capabilities.

What I describe requires unbelievable data handling and I am sure is not that easy. Shiller describes something similar in the "new financial order" and if this could happen with the use of the technology it would be amazing!!!

Offline Riverhead

Pretty cool idea. Not off the mark at all. The shares could be used to buy advertising space on the gear, brand of board, etc.

We need people who aren't steeped in tech to bring ideas to the table that are outside our peripheral. Thanks!!

Offline feedthemcake

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm terrible at anything technical, I cannot code, and I often am blown away by the conversations and thoughts/ideas that are brought up in this forum.

Here's a thought:

Bitshares Go or Bitshare Ride.

This would be a DAC that sponsors riders/athletes who are competitive in their field but don't participate in traditional sports. Think Extreme sports and how they're often or almost exclusively done by one participant.

I come from the surf world where travel is one of the biggest humps to get over as a rider. Plane tickets are often expensive and there's a need for sponsorship if you're trying to pursue some sort of career in the field. Often surfers must take it upon themselves, and I'm sure it's the same in other sports, to find their own sponsorship and create that path themselves.

What if there is a sponsorship DAC? Something you could apply to, upload a resume, allocate yourself shares, and then use the exchange of shares you've created for some value. As you place in events and succeed in your career, the tokens or shares of your talent will rise and fall in value. Imagine a place where a surfer is basically riding on themselves, as they peak, their values rise, if they win a competition, maybe the value rises, if they get a DUI and screw up their career, it falls.

Am I way off the mark?

Thanks!