Author Topic: TLD suggestions for Agent86's model.  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I want to be able to install a browser extension which hijacks normal operation of the URL bar so when I type

google.com -> Takes me to google.com.p2p as determined by BDSN and I don't want to ever want see the .p2p. ever. Is this technically possible?

Who owns google.com.p2p? Google or someone who was lucky enough to buy the name google.com on BDSN?

The highest bidder. But I'd use a system that makes them very expensive to start the bidding for in the first year. Very high minimum opening bid which decreases over time & for the most valuable legacy ICANN domain names, the minimum auction opening bid, would be their $ value at start of DAC divided by maybe 10 000 with a 25% monthly drop.

As long as we reserve the name "com" (and other current TLDs) on the BDSN global namespace, no one is able to buy any names that end with .com (or .org, or .edu, or any of the other current ICANN TLDs). Because no one is able to own those names, the browser extension is able to unambiguously know you are talking about a domain name on the legacy ICANN system. So, it will use that legacy system to find the IP address 4.53.56.93, and take you to Google's website. This means early adopters who use the BDNS browser extension can still use all old domain names like they regularly did. This helps adoption.

Thanks for the explanation! Great! I think I understand now. So we're reserving them on purpose so that BDSN takes our browser extension users to that domain name on the legacy ICANN system.

But you're saying my request it's technically possible? - For a BDSN  browser extension to completely ignore ICANN .coms & .orgs & redirect users to our .com namespaces,  or at least our .com.p2p namespaces where the .p2p is always invisible to the user? Which may or may not be owned by the same people that own the domain names on the legacy ICANN system.

If so - Woohoo!

I'm probably wrong, but I think then the current model is great & will be a success. But the current BDNS with our unique TLD's is to domains what Bitcoin is to USD but my BDNS model is to domains what BitUSD is to USD.

It's 3:30 am here, so I'll explain my thinking in the morning...

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
I want to be able to install a browser extension which hijacks normal operation of the URL bar so when I type

google.com -> Takes me to google.com.p2p as determined by BDSN and I don't want to ever want see the .p2p. ever. Is this technically possible?

Who owns google.com.p2p? Google or someone who was lucky enough to buy the name google.com on BDSN?

As long as we reserve the name "com" (and other current TLDs) on the BDSN global namespace, no one is able to buy any names that end with .com (or .org, or .edu, or any of the other current ICANN TLDs). Because no one is able to own those names, the browser extension is able to unambiguously know you are talking about a domain name on the legacy ICANN system. So, it will use that legacy system to find the IP address 4.53.56.93, and take you to Google's website. This means early adopters who use the BDNS browser extension can still use all old domain names like they regularly did. This helps adoption.

+5%  BDNS operates in parallel with traditional DNS, there are no conflicts, only new TLDs
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag

Who owns google.com.p2p? Google or someone who was lucky enough to buy the name google.com on BDNS?

As long as we reserve the name "com" (and other current TLDs) on the BDNS global namespace, no one is able to buy any names that end with .com (or .org, or .edu, or any of the other current ICANN TLDs). Because no one is able to own those names, the browser extension is able to unambiguously know you are talking about a domain name on the legacy ICANN system. So, it will use that legacy system to find the IP address 4.53.56.93, and take you to Google's website. This means early adopters who use the BDNS browser extension can still use all old domain names like they regularly did. This helps adoption.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:11:22 am by arhag »

bitbro

.own seems very palatable

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Sorry, if I'm asking the same kind of dumb question in 5 different ways,

My point is that I want to be able to install a browser extension which hijacks normal operation of the URL bar so when I type the following in my browsers URL bar I can get to the following corresponding websites:
  • google.com -> Takes me to google.com servers as determined by current ICANN DNS system

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
I would revise the structure to be:
.p2p or .bdns or nothing at all! (it really doesn't matter since it is just a way to mark the difference between a BitShares DNS resolver and an ICANN DNS resolver)
    .own
         .user-domain-1   (won by guaranteed-ownership model)
         .user-domain-2   ""
         ...                    ""
    .key
    .com, .org, .edu, .gov, ... (a snapshot of current TLDs)
    .legacy (the sub-namespace underneath this is dynamically determined by using ICANN DNS resolvers)
         .com
         .org
         ... (any other ICANN TLD in the future)
    .user-TLD-1   (won by carrying-cost model, perhaps agent86's model)
    .user-TLD-2   ""
    ...                ""

Agent86 and arhag seem to prefer #2. Disadvantages of #2 in my mind are that it is less intuitive (breaks the old way we think about TLDs) and that we better be damn sure of the final "TLD" sale model.

There is a legitimate worry that we may not get the sale model for the global TLD right from the beginning. At least the good thing about a pure leasing model is that if we have to change the rules, people can let the price readjust when their lease expires. My hope is that we don't ever have to change the rules of a sale model after it has been launched.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:57:19 pm by arhag »

Offline 天籁

• View Profile
.p2p
    .own
    .key
    .legacy
         .com
    .user-TLD-1   (won by agent86 model)
    .user-TLD-2   ""

It is p2p DNS system. +5%

Offline toast

• View Profile
So to be clear for newcomers, we're now discussing which of these hierarchies makes more sense / is more marketable:

BDNS
    .p2p  (the ".own" model)
    .key
    .agent86-model
    .com   <-- legacy forward

.p2p
    .own
    .key
    .legacy
         .com
    .user-TLD-1   (won by agent86 model)
    .user-TLD-2   ""

Agent86 and arhag seem to prefer #2. Disadvantages of #2 in my mind are that it is less intuitive (breaks the old way we think about TLDs) and that we better be damn sure of the final "TLD" sale model.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
What do you think of having the "good" sale model be for other "TLDs" (as opposed to having a single "good model" TLD)?

So initial model names are "example.own.p2p", but then all others would be "example2.p2p" ?

Do you think there needs to be a sub-TLD which experiment with the leasing model before it is promoted to a full TLD?
+5%  these ideas seem fine to me.

Offline toast

• View Profile
Is the good name ".p2p" still valuable if it is hidden during normal operations? If we used ".own" then it does not collide with any ICANN and so our extensions / resolvers would only need someone to type "example.own"

Is it a technical problem if it collides with any ICANN or is it an ambiguity problem?

Ambiguity. Our resolvers work like "is it a BDNS TLD? if yes look it up on blockchain, if no look it up on old DNS"

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Is the good name ".p2p" still valuable if it is hidden during normal operations? If we used ".own" then it does not collide with any ICANN and so our extensions / resolvers would only need someone to type "example.own"

Is it a technical problem if it collides with any ICANN or is it an ambiguity problem?

As in you don't think people will want to type Amazon.com in BDNS if it doesn't resolve/take you to the real 'Amazon.com'
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:20:19 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline toast

• View Profile
What do you think of having the "good" sale model be for other "TLDs" (as opposed to having a single "good model" TLD)?

So initial model names are "example.own.p2p", but then all others would be "example2.p2p" ?

Do you think there needs to be a sub-TLD which experiment with the leasing model before it is promoted to a full TLD?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:05:43 pm by toast »

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
I think arhag may share my view that the ownership model with fixed nominal renewal is not going to end up being very valuable and it's a shame to waste a more broadly descriptive TLD idea like .p2p on it.

I support arhag's proposed naming scheme.  I also like ".own"

Offline toast

• View Profile
How about simply ".bdns" as the meta-TLD / "perfect ownership model TLD", and use ".p2p" how you want to use ".own".

So early on when we are pushing this to blockchain/crypto fanatics and we only have one TLD with the ownership model we can promote it as ".p2p", afterwards we expand and promote "own your own TLD on Blockchain DNS".

So we don't need to reserve words on ".p2p" because ".bdns" is not implemented yet (though we will anyway just to avoid confusion).