Author Topic: rethinking P2P as suffix of domain name . not mobile user friendly  (Read 6028 times)

Offline arhag

• View Profile
    • My posts on Steem
  • BitShares: arhag
  • GitHub: arhag
for the end user there are not so much changes .. the browser/operating system just asks a resolver that is BitShares DNS capable to resovle a domain name into an IP .. the local users not necessarily needs the whole blockchain ... If more trust is needed we could go for a SPV wallet which is currently not yet implemented ...
No .. the classical end-user justs points its DNS entries to a different, BDNS capable, resolver ..
thinkg of if as what google runs at 8.8.8.8

Unfortunately, only using a resolver just gets you the domain name to IP mapping but none of the security that BitShares DNS can provide. But there is a way to provide a moderate amount of security while remaining backwards compatible. We can have the delegates act as the certificate authority signing the SSL certificate for a BitShares DNS domain. This signed certificate can also act as the cryptographic proof to get a delegate fired if the delegate signed a false SSL certificate (verified by looking at the full blockchain). A user then needs to add the current delegates as trusted certificate authorities to their device (and keep them up to date as delegates change).

This is obviously not an ideal setup. There is another method that may also work. It is really useful if you can run a daemon on your local device. You basically run an HTTP proxy which intentionally man-in-the-middle attacks your SSL connections (check out http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/BumpSslServerFirst). This then allows the proxy to read the SSL certificate from the server and dynamically rewrite it to its own signed SSL certificate. As long as that proxy's certificate authority is the only trusted CA on the device, you can have backwards compatibility, securely access legacy domains, and securely access new BitShares domains. Unfortunately, a third-party cannot be trusted to run this proxy, since they will have access to the plain-text communication between the user and the server. So, I am not sure if this is a workable solution on most mobile devices (it could probably work on an unrooted Android, but I am not sure if this is possible on the iPhone).

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I agree .p2p is not very easy to type on mobiles, maybe .ptop as an alias for .p2p
confirmed :(

But I'm not sure how Bitshares DNS would work on mobile phones (especially when you're connecting through 3G/4G or public WIFI)?
for the end user there are not so much changes .. the browser/operating system just asks a resolver that is BitShares DNS capable to resovle a domain name into an IP .. the local users not necessarily needs the whole blockchain ... If more trust is needed we could go for a SPV wallet which is currently not yet implemented ...

Would large ISPs/telcos need to support Bitshares DNS?
If we achieve broad acceptance they might need to add BitShares DNS support to their resolver

Or would you need to install a custom app?
No .. the classical end-user justs points its DNS entries to a different, BDNS capable, resolver ..
thinkg of if as what google runs at 8.8.8.8

Offline weryx

• View Profile
I agree .p2p is not very easy to type on mobiles, maybe .ptop as an alias for .p2p

But I'm not sure how Bitshares DNS would work on mobile phones (especially when you're connecting through 3G/4G or public WIFI)?
Would large ISPs/telcos need to support Bitshares DNS?
Or would you need to install a custom app?

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Personally for simplicity sake please only do only one .(insert letters)
I know it nice to categorize but sometimes its best to keep things simply and easy to remember. I think its sometimes trying to get people to remember that everything isn't just .com.

Offline yellowecho

Since we are catering to an extent to business, why not have business forcast TLD as well

.corp  for corpoation
.comp for company
.priv for private
.pers for personal
.nprf for non-profit

+5%
I like .me for personal
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline bytemaster

Since we are catering to an extent to business, why not have business forcast TLD as well

.corp  for corpoation
.comp for company
.priv for private
.pers for personal
.nprf for non-profit

+1

.inc
.llc
.sol
.scorp
.ccorp
.ltd
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Pheonike

.corp  for corpoation
.comp for company
.priv for private
.pers for personal
.nprf for non-profit

Offline bytemaster

is .con a traditional Top-Level Domains? how about use the subfix .con? con stands for connection, and it is also familiar with .com, would it be easier for people to accept the new domain?

Sounds like a con job.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline crazybit

is .con a traditional Top-Level Domains? how about use the subfix .con? con stands for connection, and it is also familiar with .com, would it be easier for people to accept the new domain?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:39:24 am by crazybit »

Offline liondani

• Inch by inch, play by play
    • View Profile
    • My detailed info
  • BitShares: liondani
  • GitHub: liondani
If the name will be BitShares DNS.... DNS makes sense....

Offline bobmaloney

I like .ptp, but .pop is probably the easiest and quickest to both say and type with a mobile qwerty.
Maybe we can just have .p"any alpha numeric"p all direct to .p2p?
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
The actual domain rwsolution doesn't happen on the dac but I n the resolvers, so it is no problem for ".ptp" to work along with ".p2p" and point to the same thing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline sfinder

• 4 Cores CPU+100GB SSD+anti-DDoS Pro
    • View Profile

i heard lots of complains from chinese community since chinese  heavily depend on  mobile phone and has around 1 B mobile user. It is not convenient for them to key in alphabet and number  by using one hand.  ie. for "P2P", mobile user need to switch to number keypad screen twice.

p2p is not mobile user friendly . Can we change to something more mobile user friendly suffix like "ppp" ,"dns", "ooo"

DNS 发布在即,等了好久都没人提出这个问题。

P2P 这可是数字和字母混搭,犯了优秀域名的大忌。老外的网站可是宁愿10个字母以上也不愿意用字母数字混搭的。以后如果发展到移动平台上,输完字母 ' p ' 还要切换到数字键盘输入 ' 2 ', 再切换到字母键盘输入 ' p ' 这可不是一般的麻烦。而且美学上说google.p2p   baidu.p2p  这样的域名也是不够好的。我觉得后缀就算直接用   .dns 也比这个要好。大家怎么说呢?
微博:星在飘我在找|BTS X 受托人delegate ID:baidu
中国教育书店合作将20%收入捐献给贫困山区学生。
Cooperating with China Education Bookstore and will donate 20% of delegate income to the poor students