Author Topic: Stellar - not a fan, but a good case study for sharedrops  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
I think it will work.I am not a fan of huge air drops but no one can deny freebies of any kind get you noticed.

I have been looking but cant seem to find what is the current $ value of there airdrop?

I saw this on BTT

They just created a demand for it, by giving out only 125 stellar now.
Initially they gave out 6900 stellar, for any new account(who would link fb and their emails), and created a distribution.
Now they give 125, creating a shortage, so there is a demand, and prices increase. They can now easily sell their premined stellar at high prices.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=733999.msg8295491#msg8295491

I don't know if that's part of the initial startegy, but that's a big drop, giving away 7000 to giving away 125. ( A 98% drop!) Maybe they're learning the hard way about giving away money for free but I'm not sure.

So I think if that's right in $ terms they're down to giving away $0.5  :)
Yea I am reading through their thread now. Starting with 6900 stellar was huge and created a great buzz but they would have crashed the market if they didn't scale back when people started dumping.
125 stellar is more realistic. I think they gave themselves a very cost effective if not a little underhanded considering that stellar was also given to ripple holders which I believe is what stellar is based off of. So chances are if they have large ripple holdings they may recoup some of there airdrop funds while promoting a new coin that may* have some growth.

I won't invest in them but it is very cool to watch. Think they can break the top ten market cap by the end of NEXT month?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:02:46 pm by Gentso1 »

Offline soniq

• View Profile
Probably finding out the hard way how many fake Facebook accounts there are  :)
Pr7V9GUm59dtKWXG6RJSymPsyCaCKWwNEj
Soniq on Bitcointalk -- Verified
Bitshares btsx:soniq

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
I think it will work.I am not a fan of huge air drops but no one can deny freebies of any kind get you noticed.

I have been looking but cant seem to find what is the current $ value of there airdrop?

I saw this on BTT

They just created a demand for it, by giving out only 125 stellar now.
Initially they gave out 6900 stellar, for any new account(who would link fb and their emails), and created a distribution.
Now they give 125, creating a shortage, so there is a demand, and prices increase. They can now easily sell their premined stellar at high prices.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=733999.msg8295491#msg8295491

I don't know if that's part of the initial startegy, but that's a big drop, giving away 7000 to giving away 125. ( A 98% drop!) Maybe they're learning the hard way about giving away money for free but I'm not sure.

So I think if that's right in $ terms they're down to giving away $0.5  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:51:46 pm by Empirical1 »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
Many have been strong proponents of the large sharedrop type approaches that Stellar is attempting https://www.stellar.org/about/mandate/#Stellar_distribution

There has also been a lot of media hype and press around their launch and they also 'supposedly' got a $3 million injection for only 2% equity so they have some funds to work with.

They also have Jed McCaleb as a board member and co-founder of Dogecoin, Jackson Palmer as an advisor, among others, so if any team is capable of pulling this strategy off, it's probably these guys, https://www.stellar.org/about/

So now we have a front row seat to the type of sharedrop strategy some have been advocating.
Personally I'm not a fan of these approaches, but it's worth keeping an eye on, because if they succeed then we can learn things and apply them in future DAC's.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:27:14 pm by Empirical1 »