Author Topic: BTSX Seems Slow  (Read 2082 times)

charleshoskinson

actually in any case all you need is blocknum -> blockhash   for the last block you are "sure" of. I'm not sure what we're discusssing TBH
Ah that's right because the last state ought to record all of the prior states. For a moment I was considering the data to be independent from block to block.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
actually in any case all you need is blocknum -> blockhash   for the last block you are "sure" of. I'm not sure what we're discusssing TBH
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline toast

• View Profile
In DPOS the block # is implicitly timestamped (genesis timestamp is hard-coded + block interval is constant). So you only need one block num + block hash to get the equivalent of blocknum -> blockhashhash+timestamp to get a checkpoint for full state up to a certain point.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

charleshoskinson

checkpoint is as simple as map from block num to block hash hard-coded in the client

Something like {:0 -> SHA256(block0), :1 -> SHA256(block1) ... :n -> SHA256(blockn)}? I must be mistaken because your growth rate given a 15 second blocktime would be around a 1 KB per minute. Just signing a single monthly checkpoint embedded both in the client and on the bitcoin blockchain seems more space efficient.

Offline toast

• View Profile
checkpoint is as simple as map from block num to block hash hard-coded in the client

we're looking at moving to a completely in-memory DB... I don't want to say much b/c vikram/dan/nathan are the brains behind this part

charleshoskinson

What are you thinking for a checkpoint? Something like Tx metadata on bitcoin with SHA256(blockchain@timeXYZ) || checkpoint# and then indexing the blockID on some trusted bootstrap server?

though we are switching real soon

Moving to Riak or something more exotic like Redis?

Offline toast

• View Profile
though we are switching real soon

Offline toast

• View Profile
@charles  No, the plan is to have checkpointed releases as soon as we have a way to pre-package the chain DB, at that point we can also make "official" checkpointed torrents but so can anybody else.

How are you guys storing the data? Using LevelDB?

yes

charleshoskinson

@charles  No, the plan is to have checkpointed releases as soon as we have a way to pre-package the chain DB, at that point we can also make "official" checkpointed torrents but so can anybody else.

How are you guys storing the data? Using LevelDB?

Offline toast

• View Profile
Every once in a while the client will just stop syncing. The easiest solution is to kill the "chain" directory in the data directory and re-sync. I realize this is frustrating, we're working out little edge cases like this as fast as we can get to them.

charleshoskinson

Do you guys have a checkpointed torrent?

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
weird.  mine says "last block is synced 12 days old" and stays there.

do i have to reinstall and download the whole block chain again?

Offline testz

My synced without problems.

Offline onceuponatime

My BTSX wallet won't sync.  Is it the same for anybody else?

Mine syncs.

Offline lucky331

• View Profile
My BTSX wallet won't sync.  Is it the same for anybody else?