Author Topic: Negative Post about Bitshares  (Read 23304 times)

Offline gamey

• View Profile
By way of explanation, this article was posted by a founder of Eris Industries:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/eris-industries?trk=ppro_cprof

"Eris Industries designs and builds distributed autonomous organisations (DAOs) and smart contract solutions for corporate and institutional applications using advanced technology to reduce client costs with a specialization in the finance, insurance, and construction sectors."

"Eris Industries was founded by Casey Kuhlman, Dennis McKinnon and Preston Byrne after its founders designed, built, and deployed the world's first useable DAO platform."

This platform reportedly runs on .... Ethereum:
http://www.coinfeed.net/news/lifestyle/bitcoin-millionaire-announces-the-winner-of-his-100k-bounty.html

If I was looking for a firm to implement something and came across that blog post of his I would likely have had the same reaction I did reading it from this forum.  Good luck with that approach, Preston Byrne.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
The farm I am betting is the farm I could buy if I sold out today :)

To be totally honest your farm is safe, based on the rest of the stuff you have developed.
You are just betting that the peg will work and you will be the next Bill Gates (both moneywise and name-recognition-wise)

My $2000 or 2 BTSX.  :)
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
I'm pretty sure he thinks he understands it. Did you not get that impression?

Operative word 'thinks'(as in believes), which apparently gives him the right to put his inner anger in semi-decent piece of writing.

And No, I do not find any value in reputing every word somebody decides to put out there, especially if the main focus of the author is to show us how great he is in proving his own statements.

Do you understand Bitassets?

no, but out there are trillions on asset backed securitys, Collateralized Debt Obligation (CDO) and so on and so on invested in USD and no one understands them. in reality it doesn't matter. Thats the whole point. bitAssets are not a new invention. Already used thousends of times in existing markets. Futures, Options etc. .  The point in BTSX is, it is total decentralised, the rules are open. No one is frontrunning, no one is hidden betting against you. You can not prefent everything. But the market could/should be working.

why did i know it? because i am from the future and i already saw it, it is already in my past. so don't worry guys.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:30:22 pm by Shentist »

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Before I start my opinion I am not a trader or shorter and have no real interest in playing the market so to speak.

I understand that to create a bit asset you need to use btsx as collateral.

I believe most of this hinges on btsx basically holding some value. As the author puts it if btsx lost alot of value very quickly this would cause the system to close(I believe thats the term) on said collateral.

I understand that bitusd will be pegged through feeds to the price of usd(so they trade roughly the same other then the point of interest to bitusd), which in theory so give bitusd a edge.

I have been exploring the next forums and have been doing research on how their asset's work. Basically anyone can make any asset with no collateral and it seems to be based solely on reputation. I think it will be interesting to see how it develops but for the moment it is pretty ripe with scams. I did find it interesting that a company has been created and is offering a service to audit real world holdings so that digital assets have a little more weight(no pun) to them. I think its a interesting idea. Heck I would like to see a system that is able to use different kinds of digital assets(bitcoin, pts, nxt, whatever.....) and also has  a mix where users can create their own asset, pay a company to come out and audit them for their real world holdings. Best of both worlds. I believe bitshares has the potential to do all of the above and more with the addition of contracts.

Please understand this is just my rudimentary understanding and feel free to correct me where necessary..... :P

Offline Pheonike

Do you own any BitShares Adam? If you expect them to rise in value then you are in essence betting on something you don't understand.

Offline pgbit

• View Profile
By way of explanation, this article was posted by a founder of Eris Industries:

http://www.linkedin.com/company/eris-industries?trk=ppro_cprof

"Eris Industries designs and builds distributed autonomous organisations (DAOs) and smart contract solutions for corporate and institutional applications using advanced technology to reduce client costs with a specialization in the finance, insurance, and construction sectors."

"Eris Industries was founded by Casey Kuhlman, Dennis McKinnon and Preston Byrne after its founders designed, built, and deployed the world's first useable DAO platform."

This platform reportedly runs on .... Ethereum:
http://www.coinfeed.net/news/lifestyle/bitcoin-millionaire-announces-the-winner-of-his-100k-bounty.html

Offline bytemaster

The farm I am betting is the farm I could buy if I sold out today :)
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Simeon II

• View Profile
I am  as tech-not-savi as you are. Sorry, not meant as an insult, if you have hi esteem in your abilities in that field.

@AdamBL - I am ready to take you bet on which of the 2 will work - bitUSD or LTBcoin.

I perceive some negative opinions on the bestest of the best coin developers in the world, tonyk!

... There will be consequences!

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!
However, I am betting the farm that it will work :)

Speaking of betting:

@BM, Stan needs to post a picture of the farm otherwise I just take your bet against all the bitUSD I currently own!  :)

@AdamBL - I am ready to take you bet on which of the 2 will work - bitUSD or LTBcoin.

I don't bet on things I don't understand, your results may vary.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

Speaking of betting:

@BM, Stan needs to post a picture of the farm otherwise I just take your bet against all the bitUSD I currently own!  :)

Offline gamey

• View Profile

Operative word 'thinks'(as in believes), which apparently gives him the right to put his inner anger in semi-decent piece of writing.

And No, I do not find any value in reputing every word somebody decides to put out there, especially if the main focus of the author is to show us how great he is in proving his own statements.

Mainly.
I am  as tech-not-savi as you are. Sorry, not meant as an insult, if you have hi esteem in your abilities in that field.

Yeah see this is the issue, I don't understand why it will work  I understand why it is supposed to work (grossly simplified: because people won't bet against reality since they can't control which way everybody else bets so unless the majority of the market colludes against itself the bitasset should track the real asset) but I don't see why this would work.    My interest in Protoshares was that it gave me something else, the what-was-the-something-else never really mattered.

It is a very complicated thing and I think you've probably struck on the point that it needs the most explanation.  We have some analogies but they still leave one hanging at an overview level of understanding.  Perhaps walking through examples with real money and explaining the outcome is the next thing that should be done.  Maybe then you can suggest what doesn't click with you.  That would be welcome.

There is this, but it needs better content.  http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Market_Peg

BTW I bought PTS too without having any interesting in Bitshares X, but now the whole idea intrigues me to no end.  It might work, might not.  We'll see.
I speak for myself and only myself.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
that quote is meant to be on a shirt!

Offline bytemaster

I do not think anybody has ever said IT WOULD work. The best I have ever heard this SHOULD work because...

It is like trying to explain to someone how a bank works, almost no one knows or understands and yet they use them every day.  What is a dollar or a bitcoin?  99% of the people who use them don't understand.   So trying to get people to understand how BTSX works when they don't even understand stuff that has been around for 5 years or 100's of years and they use every day seems like a unreasonable expectation.... 

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I do not think anybody has ever said 'IT WILL' work. The best I have ever heard is 'This SHOULD work because...'

Offline AdamBLevine

• View Profile
    • Let's Talk Bitcoin!

Mainly.

Yeah see this is the issue, I don't understand why it will work  I understand why it is supposed to work (grossly simplified: because people won't bet against reality since they can't control which way everybody else bets so unless the majority of the market colludes against itself the bitasset should track the real asset) but I don't see why this would work.    My interest in Protoshares was that it gave me something else, the what-was-the-something-else never really mattered.
Email me at adam@letstalkbitcoin.com