Author Topic: Large sum sent to wrong address  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Riverhead

It might just take a while. The name of the account implies it's not one they look at a lot.

Also create a new thread on the forum like: BTSX Account "offline" please read this.

Or something to get their attention if they check the forums.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
You can send them a small amount, like 0.1 btsx and put a message in it.

I did. Sent him/her a transaction/message asking for btsx back...

I feel so dumb and disgusted right now..  >:(  :'( :-\
I have post in Chinese board.
wish you can get them back.

Thanks. I have very little hope..
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline alt

• View Profile
  • BitShares: baozi

I have post in Chinese board.
wish you can get them back.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 04:58:39 am by bitcoinerS »
>>> approve bitcoiners

Offline Riverhead

Offline gyhy

• View Profile
用你的热钱包,可以给你的冷钱包注册名字的。
这样就不会出问题了。
建议增加直接发送地址功能。

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
Best practice for future reference:

All local/private accounts should be child accounts of a registered account you control.  This way you don't have to worry about someone else taking your name.

...and try to break big operations up into smaller ones.  Trust, but verify. 
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline bytemaster

Best practice for future reference:

All local/private accounts should be child accounts of a registered account you control.  This way you don't have to worry about someone else taking your name.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bytemaster

The gui should have an indication of whether an account is local or public next to the account suggestions when submitting a transaction.

In the 0.4.4 GUI we already have that :)
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

clout

The gui should have an indication of whether an account is local or public next to the account suggestions when submitting a transaction.

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Maybe this local accounts are a bad idea in general. I did my share of stupidity with them also (not quite financially damaging for me but still).

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7051.msg93941#msg93941

What the above post is missing is the continuation of my story (as it is off topic in that thread).

To prevent further damage I 'renamed' the account... Just to find out that the renaming is for local/in wallet use only...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:58:56 am by tonyk »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline bytemaster

=[

since receiver can see "from" address maybe they will be nice and send it back.

Good opportunity to think about how to prevent user from doing this. At the end of the day the problem is that you specified to send to "offline" which is a real account... Only thing is to say "I remember you recently had an account named this, are you sure this is what you are trying to do?"

Lets have the delegates vote for a rollback...   

Just kidding..

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
=[

since receiver can see "from" address maybe they will be nice and send it back.

Good opportunity to think about how to prevent user from doing this. At the end of the day the problem is that you specified to send to "offline" which is a real account... Only thing is to say "I remember you recently had an account named this, are you sure this is what you are trying to do?"
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline bitcoinerS

• View Profile
I may have lost a bunch of BTSX :( :'(

Here is how it happened.
I had a second wallet created to keep funds that were intended to stay offline and created a local unregistered account called:
then I added a contact in my default wallet to this account using BTS address. I wanted to keep funds offline on an account that was unregistered.

Code: [Select]
>>> wallet_list_accounts
NAME (* delegate)                  KEY                                                             REGISTERED            FAVORITE       APPROVAL       
offline                            BTSX6HiUejJHnU3sLfrQNCFP3PnSSHXzWboFRc9CozCbnPszJzzTpJ          NO                    NO             0     

I transferred funds to this account without problems, till today when I tried again and got this error

>>> wallet_transfer 260000 BTSX slavix offline
20025 duplicate_account_name: duplicate account name
Local account name conflicts with registered name. Please rename your local account first.
    {"to_account_name":"offline"}

Not quite thinking this through I thought maybe if I change account name transfer will work.

>>> wallet_account_rename offline clouds
OK.

Then I transfered funds

>>> wallet_transfer 260000 BTSX slavix offline
RECEIVED            BLOCK     FROM                TO                  AMOUNT                  MEMO                                        FEE                 ID     
======================================================================================================================================================================
2014-08-20T02:25:23 PENDING   slavix              offline             260,000.00000 BTSX                                                  0.50000 BTSX        f48debdf

but they did not get to my offline account.. instead they went to some one else who apparently registered account offline and now has my BTSX  :'( :'( :'(
>>> approve bitcoiners