Author Topic: Blue Screens  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Riverhead

I ran the 0.4.4 client yesterday on a ThinkPad T60 c2d and it took about 4 hours to sync from scratch install with a few crashes. No bsod's though.

As for age I watched live as Bill himself blue screened Win98 on stage with usb device. Thankfully things have gotten much better :).

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
I haven't had any BSOD's (not on windows) so I can't help you there, but perhaps after a full json backup of your wallet a wallet_dump_private_key <account name> for all accounts would be a good idea.  Then you can rename your wallet directory, and re-import just the 1 or 2 account names you want to use daily.  You will have to do a wallet_rescan_blockchain after the wallet_import_private_key <private key> to get the balances right, and any transactions you have made to non registered accounts will show up a little screwy, but it might help you not BSOD all over the place.

Any instruction how to do that?

And no, manually importing the private keys for those accounts does not work! (Tried it  and failed). Ref:
https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7049.0

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:31:59 am by TheOnion »
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline puppies

• View Profile
  • BitShares: puppies
I haven't had any BSOD's (not on windows) so I can't help you there, but perhaps after a full json backup of your wallet a wallet_dump_private_key <account name> for all accounts would be a good idea.  Then you can rename your wallet directory, and re-import just the 1 or 2 account names you want to use daily.  You will have to do a wallet_rescan_blockchain after the wallet_import_private_key <private key> to get the balances right, and any transactions you have made to non registered accounts will show up a little screwy, but it might help you not BSOD all over the place.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline tonyk

• View Profile

No? Nobody experiencing those issues?

Let's change the question then - what laptop should I buy?

And from where?

Keep in mind I am pretty stretched - I over invested in BTSX like 3x my initial target... :)

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
Most of you guys are too young to remember what the blue screens were in prior versions of window. ... They were daily occurrence.

Well today I saw 2 of them. And I believe the BTSX client is the reason for them.

Disclosure:

-I ran a 2+ old computer, as I just cannot buy a new one every 3 mo. Yes, I have couple newer ones, but they go to the more important users - wife, kid, other kid etc...

-I have 17 account in my BTSX wallet - Yes 17. And I still have them because: 1.I can not delete any of them 2. I can not export just one of them to a new wallet 3. I cannot run 2 client on the same machine (well technically I can do it, on 2 operating systems).

So, anybody else getting them old blue screens and/or any steps taken so the BTSX client can run on not so top-notch machines?

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:51:03 am by TheOnion »