Author Topic: Blindfold Trading  (Read 2250 times)

Offline quantumtangles

• View Profile
I knew Bitshares would increase in price over time, but I have not seen anything like this before. We may not be too far away from OM prices rises (Order of Magnitude Price rises) as when the 'penny dropped' about Bitcoin in 2012/13.

Hold on to your hats.

But there is a downside. Buying in is getting more expensive every few days. It now costs just over two BTC for about 33,000 bitshares.

Should that be a reason not be buy in?

In terms, NO.

I confess to having hoped the price would not equal or exceed 7000 satoshi for a few months to allow me to make further buy ins, but that was over optimistic on my part.

It looks as though bitshares will hit 7000 satoshi within hours or days.

But do not let this put you off (that is to say, one should avoid reminding yourself the price was about 2000 satoshi not long ago).

This is because OM rises actually seem likely here. In a year or so, you will look back fondly on the days when you could buy 33,000 bitshares for 100 BTC.

But you know this already, It is more aide memoir than anything else.

My plans have changed. My objective is to accrue as many bitshares as possible, liquidating all my other assets. This is less intrepid than it may appear.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:23:59 am by quantumtangles »

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I knew nothing about bitshares before noticing high volume trading on the BTER exchange last week. Within 15 minutes I put all my Bitcoin into bitshares and watched in disbelief. Buy walls of 25 bitcoin remained untouched. Sell walls being consumed in seconds.

Before going to sleep last night I picked a high value sale price for my bitshares, not really expecting it could rise so abruptly (unless I was awake and saw it happening with my own lying eyes).

Needless to say the bitshares had been sold when I woke up, presenting me with a mixture of delight and concern. How to get back on the runaway train...at a higher price.

Moving away momentarily from the arguably shallow world of trading for profit which I unashamedly inhabit, having profited in the interregnum despite ignorance of the underlying value the price was actually purchasing, I think I can see where this is going now. I am going to hold on to my bitshares. I reasonably believe you guys have achieved something remarkable. Bitshares may actually exceed the value of Bitcoin at some point. But even if they do not do so, prices of 0.05 BTC per bitshare are not merely possible. I think them ultimately inevitable. Thank you for making a trader oblivious to your ingenuity more money than he deserved.

Tell your friends!

Before seeing your response, I did indeed mention bitshares to a couple of friends, both much bigger players than I (one of whom is a fund manager).

Fund managers tend to be ultra conservative at the moment, but this may change.

Anyway I sent them some data and asked them to take a closer look. I lack the motivation to publicise bitshares more widely at this point because I intend to buy more at the end of the month. A lower buy price suits me for the moment (actually I am hoping the price stays below 7000 satoshi for a few months,  unlikely though that may be).

In any event, purely upward bitshare prices are not all that  exciting for traders. Cyclical movement represents opportunity. Give me a healthy sine wave over a high flat line any day. Judging short term zeniths and nadirs is the one great pleasure of trading...that is to say, the entertainment of arbitraging price differentials (whether between different exchanges or not). That the overall trajectory will most likely be upward (given sufficient elapsed time) reduces short term arbitrage risk.

My suggestion is that one avoid trying to pinpoint minima and maxima for short term trading. View the challenge at a higher level of abstraction. Accordingly, a better question to ask Is whether the sine wave is heading up or down (perhaps stating the obvious here). In essence, when dealing with a disruptive new technology such as bitshares, you can afford to take some risks because the overall trajectory is highly likely to be upward given enough delta t (elapsed time). I just love saying delta t  :D
Good read! Obvious but accurate. You don't get to see this (accurate) oftentimes.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
like your story and your tips quantumtangles, keep up the trading talk :D

Offline quantumtangles

• View Profile
I knew nothing about bitshares before noticing high volume trading on the BTER exchange last week. Within 15 minutes I put all my Bitcoin into bitshares and watched in disbelief. Buy walls of 25 bitcoin remained untouched. Sell walls being consumed in seconds.

Before going to sleep last night I picked a high value sale price for my bitshares, not really expecting it could rise so abruptly (unless I was awake and saw it happening with my own lying eyes).

Needless to say the bitshares had been sold when I woke up, presenting me with a mixture of delight and concern. How to get back on the runaway train...at a higher price.

Moving away momentarily from the arguably shallow world of trading for profit which I unashamedly inhabit, having profited in the interregnum despite ignorance of the underlying value the price was actually purchasing, I think I can see where this is going now. I am going to hold on to my bitshares. I reasonably believe you guys have achieved something remarkable. Bitshares may actually exceed the value of Bitcoin at some point. But even if they do not do so, prices of 0.05 BTC per bitshare are not merely possible. I think them ultimately inevitable. Thank you for making a trader oblivious to your ingenuity more money than he deserved.

Tell your friends!

Before seeing your response, I did indeed mention bitshares to a couple of friends, both much bigger players than I (one of whom is a fund manager).

Fund managers tend to be ultra conservative at the moment, but this may change.

Anyway I sent them some data and asked them to take a closer look. I lack the motivation to publicise bitshares more widely at this point because I intend to buy more at the end of the month. A lower buy price suits me for the moment (actually I am hoping the price stays below 7000 satoshi for a few months,  unlikely though that may be).

In any event, purely upward bitshare prices are not all that  exciting for traders. Cyclical movement represents opportunity. Give me a healthy sine wave over a high flat line any day. Judging short term zeniths and nadirs is the one great pleasure of trading...that is to say, the entertainment of arbitraging price differentials (whether between different exchanges or not). That the overall trajectory will most likely be upward (given sufficient elapsed time) reduces short term arbitrage risk.

My suggestion is that one avoid trying to pinpoint minima and maxima for short term trading. View the challenge at a higher level of abstraction. Accordingly, a better question to ask Is whether the sine wave is heading up or down (perhaps stating the obvious here). In essence, when dealing with a disruptive new technology such as bitshares, you can afford to take some risks because the overall trajectory is highly likely to be upward given enough delta t (elapsed time). I just love saying delta t  :D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 09:54:38 am by quantumtangles »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Welcome on board to the spaceship to moon ... fasten your seat belts and enjoy the ride :)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile

Moving away momentarily from the arguably shallow world of trading for profit which I unashamedly inhabit, having profited in the interregnum despite ignorance of the underlying value the price was actually purchasing, I think I can see where this is going now. I am going to hold on to my bitshares. I reasonably believe you guys have acheived something remarkable. Bitshares may actually exceed the value of Bitcoin at some point. But even if they do not do so, prices of 0.05 BTC per bitshare are not merely possible. I think them ultimately inevitable. Thank you for making a trader oblivious to your ingenuity more money than he deserved.

Tell your friends!
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline testz

Welcome aboard, I'm completely sure that you will enjoy by coming BitShares products and community.  :)

Offline quantumtangles

• View Profile

Moving away momentarily from the arguably shallow world of trading for profit which I unashamedly inhabit, having profited in the interregnum despite ignorance of the underlying value the price was actually purchasing, I think I can see where this is going now. I am going to hold on to my bitshares. I reasonably believe you guys have acheived something remarkable. Bitshares may actually exceed the value of Bitcoin at some point. But even if they do not do so, prices of 0.05 BTC per bitshare are not merely possible. I think them ultimately inevitable. Thank you for making a trader oblivious to your ingenuity more money than he deserved.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:50:42 pm by quantumtangles »