Author Topic: How do you backup a wallet? (resolved)  (Read 5902 times)

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
So I deleted all of the files except the wallet file installed the 0.4.6 client. The client uploads without asking for a password and the wallet is syncing from 34 days when I;ve been on there 2 hours ago. what happened did I delete the wrong file?

Offline cryptkeeper

• View Profile
I'm trying to get an understanding of this. So if I simply go to export and save the json file i'm not really backing up my wallet? Excuse me if I sound dumb but I rather be safe than sorry.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline cygnify

• View Profile
DO NOT DELETE config.json file which is located outside the wallets folder. This is your equivalent .dat wallet!

Sorry, but config.json it's NOT equivalent of wallet.dat
Anyway @kripeecakes to be "completely safe"^2 make a backup of whole "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" folder.

Whats the equivalent ubuntu folder? ~/BitShares X correct? With sub folders logs, chain, wallets, exceptions, peers.leveldb ?
Just double checking

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
really???

I didn't know that!!! I was under the impression that only the json file is the wallet! Hopefully I did also make back up to the whole wallet folder but only once...

If I don't see my BTSX after I install the new version it will make me very very sad...

Offline testz

DO NOT DELETE config.json file which is located outside the wallets folder. This is your equivalent .dat wallet!

Sorry, but config.json it's NOT equivalent of wallet.dat
Anyway @kripeecakes to be "completely safe"^2 make a backup of whole "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" folder.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai

not true, config.json doesn't mean much
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline testz

I have a windows 8 machine. I need to backup my wallet. Could someone please tell me how?

I know this is rudimentary stuff, but there are a lot of folks like me who want to invest in crypto, but are totally lost.

My wallet won't sync anymore so before I do anything I need to back it up.

Thanks

1. Do File->Export.
2. To be completely at safe side, make a backup of folder "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X\wallets"

3. Delete all files/folder from "C:\Users\<User name>\AppData\Roaming\BitShares X" except wallets folder
4. When uninstall old client, install brand new 0.4.6 from here https://github.com/dacsunlimited/bitsharesx/releases
5. Run the client
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 10:39:43 pm by testz »

Offline kripeecakes

• View Profile
I have a windows 8 machine. I need to backup my wallet. Could someone please tell me how?

I know this is rudimentary stuff, but there are a lot of folks like me who want to invest in crypto, but are totally lost.

My wallet won't sync anymore so before I do anything I need to back it up.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:26:52 pm by kripeecakes »