Author Topic: TITAN Privacy Now and in the future.  (Read 4562 times)

Offline Markus

• View Profile
OK, I'll be patient until you release it.
Keep up the good work!

Offline bytemaster

Apparently that call is not exposed via RPC (probably good because it isn't heavily tested).
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Markus

• View Profile
BitShares currently implements a "multi-part" transfer feature in the console.  This feature will generate as many transactions as necessary to transfer the desired amount from one person to another.   These independent transactions are unlinkable and could be going to One person, N people, or simply back to yourself assuming they were broadcast at random intervals rather than "all at once".   

Is this already implemented as of 0.4.6? What is the command syntax? I can't find anything in the console help.

Offline Riverhead

As it takes 2 blocks it automaticaly costs more fees ...

Indeed, I just wanted it made clear in the interface. However that dialog box comes up (which much better detail now) so that's all good.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I imagine eventually "send" "include memo" and "send privately" .. appropriate fees
In TITAN "send to a name" and "include memo" are the same thing .. AFAIK

the name of the sender is part of the memo .. (when I recall that correctly)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I imagine eventually "send" "include memo" and "send privately" .. appropriate fees

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
That would work just like it would with bitcoin. 

If you want to prevent funds from being linked then you can use different accounts in your wallet.

What about a "Secure Send" option (perhaps a red button beside the green) that costs twice the transaction fee and creates a few new "burner" address, sends the money there first, then sends it to the intended recipient. Would take two blocks (a whopping 15 seconds) but would add a level of obscurity. Maybe it already works like this?

As it takes 2 blocks it automaticaly costs more fees ... Bytemaster quickly described what he wants to do with his multi-sig and extreme privacy .. but I couldn't follow 100%.... let's stay excited ;-)

Offline Riverhead

If you want to prevent funds from being linked then you can use different accounts in your wallet.

What about a "Secure Send" option (perhaps a red button beside the green) that costs twice the transaction fee and creates a few new "burner" address, sends the money there first, then sends it to the intended recipient. Would take two blocks (a whopping 15 seconds) but would add a level of obscurity. Maybe it already works like this?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Would off-chain mixing serve the same purpose here as it does with bitcoin? Would it be just as secure?
Here it will be much securer as you will hold all private keys that are involved in the progress ...
off-chain mixing is so last century ..  8)

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
Bitcoin best practices is pretty dang private.
Analysis is possible but if you can't link it to a name what is the threat?

I think until something like timing analysis becomes practical and can actually affect people why worry about it? I do think you can theoretically achieve more privacy for TITAN by continuously improving upon it so I support that initiative but I don't think many people are capable of attacking it.

Analysis might reveal what kinds of activities are taking place but it doesn't reveal who is doing it. This capability has pros and cons.

Would off-chain mixing serve the same purpose here as it does with bitcoin? Would it be just as secure?

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
Mabe we can come up with a few best-practice articles on the use of accounts for private, company, exchange, etc.

Offline bytemaster

Analysis might reveal what kinds of activities are taking place but it doesn't reveal who is doing it. This capability has pros and cons.
I was thinking about this.

1) Since it's unlikely you'll send your entire BTSX balance to one person other than yourself your change comes back to the same address
2) At some point you're going to make a transfer to a centralized exchange and the receiving address can be linked to an account.

The question is can you know which addresses belong to an exchange that can be subpoenaed. Or more likely they'd go to an exchange they have jurisdiction over and get your deposit addresses. There are only a handful of exchanges so the net wouldn't have to be that wide. Once they have that they can monitor the flow of funds in and trace them back to your address in #1.

Someone please tell me this would never work .

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Riverhead

I was thinking about this.

1) Since it's unlikely you'll send your entire BTSX balance to one person other than yourself your change comes back to the same address
2) At some point you're going to make a transfer to a centralized exchange and the receiving address can be linked to an account.

The question is can you know which addresses belong to an exchange that can be subpoenaed. Or more likely they'd go to an exchange they have jurisdiction over and get your deposit addresses. There are only a handful of exchanges so the net wouldn't have to be that wide. Once they have that they can monitor the flow of funds in and trace them back to your address in #1.

Someone please tell me this would never work .
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:46:10 am by Riverhead »

Offline MktDirector

• View Profile
I'll get this on the Wiki. Good write up. B

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Bitcoin best practices is pretty dang private.
Analysis is possible but if you can't link it to a name what is the threat?

I think until something like timing analysis becomes practical and can actually affect people why worry about it? I do think you can theoretically achieve more privacy for TITAN by continuously improving upon it so I support that initiative but I don't think many people are capable of attacking it.

https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads