Author Topic: Time to Shutdown Cloud Mining - 1 BTC Bounty for GPU Implementation  (Read 19814 times)

Offline goldminer

• View Profile
Re: Time to Shutdown Cloud Mining - 1 BTC Bounty for GPU Implementation
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 11:45:18 pm »
I'd offer 25 pts towards a bounty that created a GPU miner, put my litecoin farm to better use :)

Offline nanobit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 11:06:04 pm »
I personally know two guys, each owns at least 5000 pieces of 7950.

The resolution when they play must be unbelievable.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 10:46:40 pm »
After a brief moment of wavering I have reconsidered cloud computing to be the most fair of all options because anyone can rent a cloud machine. 

Gpu bounty still stands because I want to see it done. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline HCarvalho

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 10:33:51 pm »
Cloud mining is the only option for guys like me with only one pc

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 10:19:56 pm »
Just speculating.  It seems there are no good options.   

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Amazon

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Forum
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 10:18:38 pm »

Since Observing this launch I have come to the conclusion that the ideal proof of work should be GPU friendly but not ASIC Friendly. 

I have also concluded that  rapid issuance of the money supply is a good thing    Because it reduces the time period during which ASIC can be developed  at extreme profit. 

Just trying to do our best. 

Mind to share how you draw the conclusion that the ideal POW should be GPU friendly? What about CPU, it is not ideal because of botnet and cloud servers???? I personally know two guys, each owns at least 5000 pieces of 7950.

How come the POW theory changed suddenly..

Forum Donation: PforumPLfVQXTi4QpQqKwoChXHkoHcxGuA

Offline pankkake

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:48 pm »
CPU ones are good for botnets too. Actually, they can use both at the same time ;)

On PTS the requirement of about 512 mb per thread is pretty low as most computers have that per core. I actually wonder why it has not been set higher, as it can get much harder to get (many architectures have hard limits).

Offline legitnick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:07 pm »

Sorry but this makes not a good picture of your project for me. First of all this posting is telling everything:
Even at hour wage for a competent gpu programmer that's a slave's pay - but if someone were to make this he could make way more just by mining
That can not be possible that you act like a newb in the business, with so much coins in the game -.-

Since Observing this launch I have come to the conclusion that the ideal proof of work should be GPU friendly but not ASIC Friendly. 

I have also concluded that  rapid issuance of the money supply is a good thing    Because it reduces the time period during which ASIC can be developed  at extreme profit. 

This, GPU's will curb those operating botnets/access to large data centers.

Offline iruu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:07:36 pm »
GPU algorithms are better for botnets (only recently). As of now, all cloud gpus are nvidias, but botnets can use users' gpus. Nowadays even a $200 amd pc has a powerful apu (or intel with cheap radeon, etc). 

I mean, even on reddit there's an ama - I think it was about 1.5 year ago - with a botnet operator. He mined bitcoins on users' gpus...

Now people without botnets at least can mine, it's not like renting servers is somehow restricted to wealthy individuals.

Edit, found
Most important quote from ama (although not from author):
Asian installs are very cheap, 15$/1000 installs and have good GPUs.
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/sq7cy/iama_a_malware_coder_and_botnet_operator_ama/c4mu8oj

So, yeah.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:47:45 pm by iruu »

Offline pankkake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:55:53 pm »
It is about how many people have access to those GPUs. 
I fail to see how ASICs are harder to get.
If you think it's because most ASICs are bought at a loss, well, here's the news: without ASICs the frenzy of wanting free money would have continued for Bitcoin, and it would have been losses too. Unless, you know, you're mining in your parent's basement.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 09:51:53 pm »

Sorry but this makes not a good picture of your project for me. First of all this posting is telling everything:
Even at hour wage for a competent gpu programmer that's a slave's pay - but if someone were to make this he could make way more just by mining
That can not be possible that you act like a newb in the business, with so much coins in the game -.-

Offline ikswobel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 09:44:02 pm »

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 09:42:50 pm »
It is about how many people have access to those GPUs. 

Offline pankkake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 09:41:58 pm »
GPU is still decentralized ASIC not so much
I don't think you understand that word.
By the way, how many GPU manufacturers are out there?

Yeah, talk about decentralization.

Offline bytemaster

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 09:40:35 pm »
GPU is still decentralized ASIC not so much