Author Topic: How is the bitUSD peg holding up?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
There just isn't much demand for bitUSD atm. Hence the premium for it.
The only reason for this currently in my view is there are no solid other markets yet for bitUSD to be spent on or traded against (bitUSD <-> bitBTC would be one great helper).

In my eyes its going OK so far, more mature markets will help. As well as having more traders (as well as arbitrage opportunities) and less BTSX speculators (perma-bulls it seems) trading the markets.

Yeah, I'm not worried about the 15% discount. Any time people expect short-term rapid growth for BTSX, bitAssets will see a lot of shorting pressure. The price of a bitUSD is a combination of the price of USD and the aggregate expected short-term price movement of BTSX.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline cygnify

• View Profile
There just isn't much demand for bitUSD atm. Hence the premium for it.
The only reason for this currently in my view is there are no solid other markets yet for bitUSD to be spent on or traded against (bitUSD <-> bitBTC would be one great helper).

In my eyes its going OK so far, more mature markets will help. As well as having more traders (as well as arbitrage opportunities) and less BTSX speculators (perma-bulls it seems) trading the markets.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
So I'm seeing on bter that 1 BitUSD = 0.9999 USD. I'd say things are going very well so far? However, Dan (bytemaster) has been making posts that lead me to believe something isn't going right. What am I overlooking? Is it just that demand for BitUSD is (expectantly) low right now?

I'm not sure why it looks so good on Bter. The peg has been off by 15-20% on the bitshares network every time I've looked. My client has been massively buggy so I haven't been on there a ton. But suffice it to say that bitUSD is selling at a discount to fiatUSD.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

merockstar

So I'm seeing on bter that 1 BitUSD = 0.9999 USD. I'd say things are going very well so far? However, Dan (bytemaster) has been making posts that lead me to believe something isn't going right. What am I overlooking? Is it just that demand for BitUSD is (expectantly) low right now?

he's just involving the community in discussing the contingency plan. bracing for the worst and hoping for the best.

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline Empirical1

• View Profile
those price swings have been expected .. and most probably will stabilze once more money makers and bots go online

+5% I actually expected lower levels in the beginning.   

There are so many BTSX bulls and very few traders. Once you add in traders, bots, particularly CNY profit taking as BitCNY, people taking advantage of interest on their BTC in BitBTC and a stable version. I expect it, even within a month to trade a lot closer to the peg. Within 3 months I doubt the peg will be more than 3/4% lower on average for most BitAssets. 

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
those price swings have been expected .. and most probably will stabilze once more money makers and bots go online

Offline GordonS

• View Profile
Wasn't BITUSD going for 0.86 USD on BTER for a few hours yesterday, and again for a bit today?

Not to put a downer on things, but I think it's a but early to be hailing the peg as a great success.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Did you download the latest wallet.   4.8?   after installing it   no more crashes and syncing great over here.   Good job BitsharesX!   
latest is 0.4.9!

Offline mbaeichapareiko

• View Profile
Did you download the latest wallet.   4.8?   after installing it   no more crashes and syncing great over here.   Good job BitsharesX!   

Also amazing work with bitusd,  i think when goldusd kicks off, this is going to get really interesting.   Especially with all the political trouble in ukraine middle east and war,  gold takes off in times of war.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Good to hear the peg is holding up as planned. I'm going to wait a week and if everything is still running smooth, I'm seriously considering converting all of my BTC into BTSX. I definitely "get it" at this point... Somebody tell me I'm not being an idiot.

You're at the right place for people telling you buying BTSX isn't idiotic...

You might want to get in gradually instead of waiting a week and going all in, just to balance your early adoption risk against the risk of another growth wave before you convert.  Just depends on what your priorities are.

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
Good to hear the peg is holding up as planned. I'm going to wait a week and if everything is still running smooth, I'm seriously considering converting all of my BTC into BTSX. I definitely "get it" at this point... Somebody tell me I'm not being an idiot.

if you need someon to "talk you out" this is the wrong place  :)
we are all blinded or see something what other people will understand later.

i posted on twitter "maybe we discover a new world, or there is only the edge of the world"

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Market peg is holding up GREAT.

It really is amazing, isn't it??

+5% It's great, exciting stuff!

Can't wait to fast forward a month or so from now when most teething problems are out the way and more traders and longs are in the market.

'When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit'

It's actually quite amazing. It's like watching a baby try to take it's first steps. First we stumble around a bit but eventually we start to grow more confident. BitUSD was our first steps and we are learning how to stand and walk.

The BitUSD peg is magnificent. The naysayers said it was impossible and that the peg couldn't work. Now there is irrefutable evidence that it does work. It's not perfectly efficient yet but it does function which means efficiency can easily be increased over time.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline yellowecho

You can be an "idiot" like me then. I for one won't be talking you out of it. Although Ill hang onto some bitcoin's for sentimental reasons :)

Seriously... I converted by all my BTC to AGS way back in January!  :P
696c6f766562726f776e696573

Offline cygnify

• View Profile

You can be an "idiot" like me then. I for one won't be talking you out of it. Although Ill hang onto some bitcoin's for sentimental reasons :)