Author Topic: bitsharesx platform - how do you retrieve old usernames  (Read 1898 times)

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
A random private key is MUCH more secure than any string that is generated by any human!

Sounds good.

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
A random private key is MUCH more secure than any string that is generated by any human!

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
Why cant they just make it like a Gmail or Facebook account so we can have multiple logins.

Because then you would have to trust a company like Google or Facebook with full control over your account.  The actual essence of these accounts is stored on your computer, so you have to move it if you want the account moved.  No one besides you has your account, so you can't get it back from them if you lose it.

When I mean "like" I dont mean use it.  I mean instead of just 'Password'  have

Login
Password
Retrieve Account

In the bitsharesx platform.

They could do that and have the entire account deterministically generated from the name and password, but people would undoubtedly pick insecure passwords and get their funds stolen.  As a default, the way it is now is much safer for users who may not understand all the risks.

Deterministically generated passwords and logins  +5%

A person would not just need your password but your login.

The system right now is safer in some ways but if you are not computer technical you could lose your entire bitshares stake.

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile
Why cant they just make it like a Gmail or Facebook account so we can have multiple logins.

Because then you would have to trust a company like Google or Facebook with full control over your account.  The actual essence of these accounts is stored on your computer, so you have to move it if you want the account moved.  No one besides you has your account, so you can't get it back from them if you lose it.

Login
Password
Retrieve Account

They could do that and have the entire account deterministically generated from the name and password, but people would undoubtedly pick insecure passwords and get their funds stolen.  As a default, the way it is now is much safer for users who may not understand all the risks.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Login
Password
Retrieve Account

Offline Troglodactyl

• View Profile

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
In the menu bar you have to do a backup .. you will get a JSON file .. carry that over to the new computer .. and import it there from the menu bar .

will be the same passphrase

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
you have to export your wallet in your old client, if not possible you already lost the name forever.

Offline eagleeye

• View Profile
If you get a new computer (which I have) and you want to retrieve your old usernames, how do you do this?  I mean the platform shows a password you need to type, but no login.