Author Topic: BitSharesX client and PTS  (Read 5618 times)

Offline roadscape

I downloaded the BitSharesX client, created an account, and kindly received 30 BTSX for doing so.

I've spent a few hours reading about BitShares and I'm impressed!

I'm also confused. I bought PTS on Cryptsy and want to withdraw it. The BitsharesX client appears to be an exchange, but from what I've seen it only handles BTSX. So I downloaded the BitShares-PTS client and am waiting for the sync. But how then do I exchange PTS for BTSX?

Is this 30 BTSX from a promotion? How do I get it?

Do you have the wallet? http://bitshares-x.info/

Then: If you need BTSX to finish the registration, Just post your account key here.

Welcome!
http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline Bomberman

• View Profile
I downloaded the BitSharesX client, created an account, and kindly received 30 BTSX for doing so.

I've spent a few hours reading about BitShares and I'm impressed!

I'm also confused. I bought PTS on Cryptsy and want to withdraw it. The BitsharesX client appears to be an exchange, but from what I've seen it only handles BTSX. So I downloaded the BitShares-PTS client and am waiting for the sync. But how then do I exchange PTS for BTSX?

Is this 30 BTSX from a promotion? How do I get it?

Offline Thom

I was reading elsewhere here on the forum and someone else in that thread raised an issue about cold storage.

I can't find it tho. Only one thread popped up in the search results for cold storage and that wasn't the one I was reading.

I've completed registration. If I export my wallet to a usb key and my computer is lost in a fire or stolen, can I restore my local client by importing the json wallet file into a new client on a different computer?

How stable will the structure of the json wallet file be over time? In this alpha stage of development is it unreasonable to assume future client version will be able to import old wallet json files?
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Thom

Most excellent, thx for that info RiverHead.

I would presume the export / import option would be the better choice, since Windows files copied would not necessarily have the same permissions settings if the wallet is imported.

Seems better to let the linux client do the import and thus set permissions.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline Riverhead

A question about interoperability.

I'm about to install the BitShares Windows client but I am very interested in the Linux client as that is my preferred platform. If I start with the Windows client and create an account, register it and buy BTSX with it and have them in my (Windows) wallet, can I later export them to the wallet of my Linux client? What's the procedure for such a transfer?

If not would I have to create another account and wallet and simply send the shares from the windows account to the address I registered with my Linux client?
The wallet is os/device agnostic. There are a couple options. Copy the wallets directory over or in the client file-> export wallet and import that JSON file into your Linux client.

Offline Thom

A question about interoperability.

I'm about to install the BitShares Windows client but I am very interested in the Linux client as that is my preferred platform. If I start with the Windows client and create an account, register it and buy BTSX with it and have them in my (Windows) wallet, can I later export them to the wallet of my Linux client? What's the procedure for such a transfer?

If not would I have to create another account and wallet and simply send the shares from the windows account to the address I registered with my Linux client?

Offline jernau

• View Profile
If you want the Linux GUI client, your only choice at the moment is to compile it. Do you know how to clone a github repository? If you do, clone the dacsunlimited repository and read the Ubuntu readme in the root directory for instructions on how to compile. Post here if you're stuck. I'm sure one of us can help. If you're starting fresh, you'll need a bit of persistence :)
PTS: PgiEykg2RATYwWYhFtyNRqwSxQyEApLSmW

Offline foulowl

• View Profile
This all seems very complicated for the average consumer. But then maybe bitshares isn't for the average consumer? I just started researching bitshares today and I am very interested in getting started. Is there a bitshares client for Linux? Where can I find the download?

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

You can also earn Interest (dividends) on bitUSD starting tomorrow.

Isnt it interest on ALL assets? (providing they function correctly)

I think so but wasn't sure.

Cant say 100% but im 99% positive )))  :)
btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline Riverhead

I think so but wasn't sure.

Offline serejandmyself

• View Profile

btsx - bitsharesrussia

Offline Riverhead

When everyone transitions their bitPTS out, does the downward pressure on bitPTS get balanced out by placing shorts?

Not sure, my market dynamics knowledge is weak. However if you'll notice BTER supports trading in bitUSD. It wouldn't surprise me if they started supporting trading in bitPTS. If they do you may be able to cash out directly to PTS (i.e they may buy it off you for around 1:1). They already do this for all the other currencies. When trading on a centralized exchange your money is in their wallet and you're trading BTER-BTC and BTER-PTS and they buy the virtual cash off you when you cash out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:48:27 pm by Riverhead »

Offline roadscape

When everyone transitions their bitPTS out, does the downward pressure on bitPTS get balanced out by placing shorts?

Offline Riverhead

It's starting to make sense, thank you!

So if I simply want to invest in PTS, it doesn't really matter if its in PTS or bitPTS, except that:
 - Keeping PTS I'll be eligible to receive equity from new DACs
 - Keeping bitPTS I'll be able to earn dividends/rewards

Do I have it correct?

You got it. Just remember before the snapshot you'll want to transition your bitPTS to a PTS wallet you control so you'll own the private key. Some exchanges are starting to honor PTS balances for snapshots but it's not a sure thing.

Offline roadscape

It's starting to make sense, thank you!

So if I simply want to invest in PTS, it doesn't really matter if its in PTS or bitPTS, except that:
 - Keeping PTS I'll be eligible to receive equity from new DACs
 - Keeping bitPTS I'll be able to earn dividends/rewards

Do I have it correct?