Author Topic: Zero To One, by Peter Thiel  (Read 4691 times)

Offline bytemaster

The article linked was very interesting and got me thinking about "natural monopolies" being beneficial for capital accumulation.

I think it is all a mater of perspective and in the end it all comes down to a single moral principle: don't initiate force against others.    Thus free competition will result in natural monopolies which allow capital accumulation and that is just the nature of good competition.   Unnatural monopolies are the ones that are dangerous (such as those granted to patent / copyright holders) or via regulation.  Anti-trust laws are also a major problem.

In what way would "natural" monopolies differ from "unnatural" one's in the real world?

The use of FORCE.... to prevent competition it is in the definition. 

An unnatural monopoly can remain in power despite better, more innovative, efficient, alternatives.   It doesn't matter *how much you innovate* you cannot overcome an unnatural monopoly. 
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bitsapphire

The article linked was very interesting and got me thinking about "natural monopolies" being beneficial for capital accumulation.

I think it is all a mater of perspective and in the end it all comes down to a single moral principle: don't initiate force against others.    Thus free competition will result in natural monopolies which allow capital accumulation and that is just the nature of good competition.   Unnatural monopolies are the ones that are dangerous (such as those granted to patent / copyright holders) or via regulation.  Anti-trust laws are also a major problem.

In what way would "natural" monopolies differ from "unnatural" one's in the real world?
Register and get your personal Moonstone Wallet Beta here: https://moonstone.io/login-register.html

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

YES!  These are all covered in the book. 

...He also talks about marketing, increasing your monopolistic advantage by orders of magnitude in comparison to the next competitor, and why it matters so much to build something that's never been done before instead of wasting time on incremental improvements (like what most of Silicon Valley has been doing since the dot com bubble burst).

Absolutely. It's about doing something different vs. adding features.

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

YES!  These are all covered in the book. 

...He also talks about marketing, increasing your monopolistic advantage by orders of magnitude in comparison to the next competitor, and why it matters so much to build something that's never been done before instead of wasting time on incremental improvements (like what most of Silicon Valley has been doing since the dot com bubble burst).

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline D4vegee

• View Profile
Awesome book. Have you read this yet? Opened my eyes to how those banksters operate :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flash-Boys-Michael-Lewis/dp/0241003636

Offline G1ng3rBr34dM4n

I was pondering if this should be posted in random, but I'll start it here for higher visibility... (mods, feel free to move)

Just finished reading "Zero To One" over the weekend.  I'd highly suggest it for anyone interested in how billionaires think, how BitShares nails all 7 questions that need to be answered in order to change the world, and if you've been looking for a clear articulation for why this project (and others like it) will revolutionize business in the future.  There's a plethora of strategies and truly thought-provoking questions that I know I'll be personally working on developing answers for.  Pretty quick read - only took about 4 hours.

...Do you believe in secrets?  I do.

http://zerotoonebook.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Zero-One-Notes-Start-Future-ebook/dp/B00J6YBOFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411393003&sr=8-1&keywords=zero+to+one