Author Topic: DNS DAC Question About Current Model  (Read 4697 times)

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
It means if you win the auction you win the name. No or low renewal fees.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline GaltReport

I never said fixed cost. It's the same auction model as all of the test networks we've done.

Okay, now I'm confused.  "One-time up front cost" would be interpreted by many as fixed cost.  So, what does one-time up front cost mean?

Offline Thom

* It is a "throttled auction" model - search "DNS auction parameter discussion"
* DNS DAC uses DPOS just like anything else using the toolkit at this time. This includes the testnet, I don't know why you thought it was POW.
* The test networks are only for the blockchain/client, not any infrastructure. Though the DNSchain integration might be available for the next auction testnet.
* There are two core developers (me and dbrock on the GUI) and a few guys contributing some time on infrastructure. As the core functionality is developed there should be more available for us to outsource to devs who want to contribute. A lot of our effort goes into BTSX right now.

Thx toast for that info. I'll go away now & get edumacated.

I assumed PoW b/c of the use of the word snapshots, but I'll readily admit I don't know what the "throttled auction model" you mentioned is, by that name at least. But I don't think that's an influence on PoW / PoS. It was just an assumption based on conversations about the test network. My bad.

You differentiate your client and GUI work from infrastructure, but I don't know what that is exactly. I'll ask again later if my reading hasn't answered my questions.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline bitmeat

• View Profile
Toast, you need to put a sticky post with updates from you on here! It would be great for new comers as well as those willing to get updates. And it gives you a one go to place to keep the current design even if it is not set in stone.

If it is easier I recommend start recording brief videos of you speaking about the current plans. Or perhaps a mumble session might be good.

Offline toast

• View Profile
I never said fixed cost. It's the same auction model as all of the test networks we've done.

My apologies. A one time up front charge? For what? Perhaps a more detailed explanation is in order. I thought that meant a single fee, presumably the same for all buyers. You may not have said it was variable based on the class of name (popularity or some other criteria), but for a specific name the cost isn't variable is it?

Lets go back to my post.

Is this the place the DNS DAC is discussed; i.e. if I monitor this thread is this where I'll be best informed of everything concerning a "blockchain DNS"?

I've noticed some effort here for DNS work on a blockchain, but it appears to be a PoW style blockchain, presume this is the test networks discussed here is that right?

When will it become a PoS DAC and why the PTS snapshot at this stage of the DNS DAC development? What is the purpose of these "test networks", is it to flush out the code for a wallet / GUI or browser plugin code, or code to be inserted into or replacement for the name resolution layers of a network protocol stack?

I am still confused about this tho I've tried to find out as much as I can. Just doesn't appear to have the same strength of effort as BitShares, and nowhere near the volume of discussion about it.

Is Derrick still one of the developers involved?

And since I seem to be a fountain of questions here's another: Is the approach you've taken for the development of this DNS DAC typical of how future DACs are created? What I mean is starting with a PoW blockchain implementation and ending with a PoS DAC under the BitShares umbrella?

Sorry for the flurry of questions but unlike bitshares this DNS DAC is harder to get current info for. If anyone has info to answer these questions or other links to help me understand this better please let me know so I don't have to post dumb questions.  :P

* It is a "throttled auction" model - search "DNS auction parameter discussion"
* DNS DAC uses DPOS just like anything else using the toolkit at this time. This includes the testnet, I don't know why you thought it was POW.
* The test networks are only for the blockchain/client, not any infrastructure. Though the DNSchain integration might be available for the next auction testnet.
* There are two core developers (me and dbrock on the GUI) and a few guys contributing some time on infrastructure. As the core functionality is developed there should be more available for us to outsource to devs who want to contribute. A lot of our effort goes into BTSX right now.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline Thom

My apologies. A one time up front charge? For what? Perhaps a more detailed explanation is in order. I thought that meant a single fee, presumably the same for all buyers. You may not have said it was variable based on the class of name (popularity or some other criteria), but for a specific name the cost isn't variable is it?

Lets go back to my post.

Is this the place the DNS DAC is discussed; i.e. if I monitor this thread is this where I'll be best informed of everything concerning a "blockchain DNS"?

I've noticed some effort here for DNS work on a blockchain, but it appears to be a PoW style blockchain, presume this is the test networks discussed here is that right?

When will it become a PoS DAC and why the PTS snapshot at this stage of the DNS DAC development? What is the purpose of these "test networks", is it to flush out the code for a wallet / GUI or browser plugin code, or code to be inserted into or replacement for the name resolution layers of a network protocol stack?

I am still confused about this tho I've tried to find out as much as I can. Just doesn't appear to have the same strength of effort as BitShares, and nowhere near the volume of discussion about it.

Is Derrick still one of the developers involved?

And since I seem to be a fountain of questions here's another: Is the approach you've taken for the development of this DNS DAC typical of how future DACs are created? What I mean is starting with a PoW blockchain implementation and ending with a PoS DAC under the BitShares umbrella?

Sorry for the flurry of questions but unlike bitshares this DNS DAC is harder to get current info for. If anyone has info to answer these questions or other links to help me understand this better please let me know so I don't have to post dumb questions.  :P
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline Thom

The model I'm planning has a one-time up-front cost.

I guess some of us missed the memo.

No kidding! Is this the place where the DNS DAC is discussed? I recall reading a rather lengthy discussion of the pros and cons of the auction scheme, but I never saw a fixed cost model ever on the table. How does that make the DNS DAC any different than the traditional DNS in terms of purchase / ownership rights? I understand it provides protection from ICANN shutting down your website and DNS redirection, but I thought one of the main goals for the DNS DAC was to eliminate name squatting. How does a fixed cost / non auctioned "buy your DNS name here" scheme accomplish that?

Offline GaltReport

I have a question related to the usefulness of the DNS DAC.
Suppose I have a business and I plan on creating a website.
Suppose I have to choose between DNS DAC and traditional dns registration (assume all browsers support both and there are no compatibility issues).
Assume I have an unique unregistered name.

Traditional dns registration will cost me $15 per year and traditional security certificate (https://www.rapidssl.com/) about $50 => totaling $65 per year.
How can I plan the cost for the new DNS DAC ? It is actionable for every timeperiod. This year it could cost me $30 next year $3000.

Given the above scenario what should I pick and why? What benefits will I get using the DNS DAC ?

Am I the right target for DNS DAC? If not what is the target?

Which domain model are you talking about? I decided against agent's model after implementing it and thinking through some of the cases more carefully...

+5%

Offline jckj

• View Profile
Suppose I have to choose between DNS DAC and traditional dns registration (assume all browsers support both and there are no compatibility issues).

Traditional dns registration will cost me $15 per year and traditional security certificate (https://www.rapidssl.com/) about $50 => totaling $65 per year.
How can I plan the cost for the new DNS DAC ? It is actionable for every timeperiod. This year it could cost me $30 next year $3000.

Given the above scenario what should I pick and why? What benefits will I get using the DNS DAC ?

Which domain model are you talking about? I decided against agent's model after implementing it and thinking through some of the cases more carefully...

Great, Base ON blockchain?

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

I guess some of us missed the memo.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG
I was referring to the model with auctioning.
Can we have a sticky description of current design?

Offline toast

• View Profile

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
With traditional DNS registration, that's true on the costs, but not if you want a premium name. The premium names have all been snapped up and you really pay through the nose for something short or recognizable. Definitely not a fixed cost.

I don't understand how the DNS auction system will work. But I'd expect a flurry of initial excitement to claim some of the obvious sites, and then it probably will settle in to a more routine level of activity. If someone is registering a routine name, then the interest in it would be lower and therefore there should be fewer bidders. The price would not be predictable, but neither should it be insane.

Offline emski

• View Profile
    • http://lnkd.in/nPbhxG