Author Topic: About Shares  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Chuckone

• View Profile
Just FYI: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=793125

"Artists will promote their music on social media to attract Songcoin Investors. If a Songcoin investor likes a song, they can invest as much or as little as they wish. Seventy percent of the invested revenue will go straight to the artist, and the remaining, divided between the preceding investors and the Songcoin technology partners."

I like the way part of the new investments are used to finance the artists, but do not like at all the way the rest of the 30 percent is distributed... You're paid dividends with the money of the people investing in after you...

Directly taken from Wikipedia, under Ponzi scheme definition:

"A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation where the operator, an individual or organization, pays returns to its investors from new capital paid to the operators by new investors, rather than from profit earned by the operator."

Edit: I don't want to say Songcoin is fraudulent, not my obtjective at all, and maybe I'm wrong, but there are stricking similarities between the business model of Songcoin and the definition of a Ponzi scheme

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:40:36 pm by Chuckone »

Offline testz

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
Hey Apple and Amazon: Rack 'em.

Offline cob

• View Profile
  • BitShares: cobb
So, music is pretty much free. In general, people aren't going to go out of their way to pay for music when it's pretty simple to youtube anything you want to listen too. Musicians can still make some money though performances, licensing, merch, etc..
Bitshares music/peertracks vision is to bring artist and fans closer together to cut out middle men and I think that's a great idea. So here are some rough ideas that i want to share with the community that I think would be neat.

1.  I suggest rather than focusing on selling music, artist only sell shares (artist coins) and they provide tools for the fans who buy their shares to become promoters and agents. For example, I'm scrolling through the site listening to tracks, I find something I like, I say "hey that's pretty good" and then I click an up arrow to buy 1000 of their artist coins because I think they might catch on.

2. Artist shares need to have some promise of value so artist should reward their fans who help promote them in some way. Ideally they could pay out dividends. I'm not sure about the legality of all this but one way to get around this might be to consider the fans that you're paying dividends to as a co-artist or something along those lines.

So for example,  a  fan/shareholder can book a show for an artist to help put together an upcoming tour and if the artist accepts the gig the fan can be rewarded(maybe in artist coins) and the artist can pay out dividends to all the fans once they have been paid. The important part would be making this process easy for your fans so they can do this without a back in forth email conversation.  They simply submit a form with the details and wait for the artist to confirm.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share some musings with you all.

Edit: Title didn't match
Hey sittingbull.
Well, to address your first point. On PeerTracks at least, the artist can set his own price for his music. So it opens up the possibility to what you are saying. The artist can also set the price for his artistcoin, he can simply give them away to his fans or whoever if he pleases.
This should be very interesting to watch. What strategy will work best? How creative can each artist/band + marketting department get with this? I expect we will be in for a surprise.
And here we are still just at the MVP (basic basic basic, create profile, upload music, sell it, sell user issued assets that are tied to your music sales).

This brings us to your second point.
We are not trying to build a gimmick. Or a kinda cool site for music. We want to create jobs (:
Think of ebay. People don't go to ebay because it's "kinda cool" they go there because it's their job. It's how they make a living. At one point I believe ebay was the biggest "employer" in north america.

We are creating a few separate jobs. There are the obvious ones, like the band itself, it sells its music right off of the platform and bags the money.
There are the talent discoverers that are experts in their own domain, say death metal, and will spot potential stars early, buy that band's coin and make a killing if they go big.

But i also want to add the DJ or "playlist creator/curator" in there as soon as we have a music streamng site. There is huge demand for well labeled quality playlists for just the right occassion.
Well we now have a way to incentivizes people to do just this

Few more features that could change the game for podcasters and audiobook authors also.

And to stay in line with your thinking, we also want to add tools that allow artists to "hire" their fans for work and pay them right there on the blockchain. These could be some kind of promoters.

But first the MVP!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:13:48 am by cob »
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline Sittingbull

• View Profile
So, music is pretty much free. In general, people aren't going to go out of their way to pay for music when it's pretty simple to youtube anything you want to listen too. Musicians can still make some money though performances, licensing, merch, etc..
Bitshares music/peertracks vision is to bring artist and fans closer together to cut out middle men and I think that's a great idea. So here are some rough ideas that i want to share with the community that I think would be neat.

1.  I suggest rather than focusing on selling music, artist only sell shares (artist coins) and they provide tools for the fans who buy their shares to become promoters and agents. For example, I'm scrolling through the site listening to tracks, I find something I like, I say "hey that's pretty good" and then I click an up arrow to buy 1000 of their artist coins because I think they might catch on.

2. Artist shares need to have some promise of value so artist should reward their fans who help promote them in some way. Ideally they could pay out dividends. I'm not sure about the legality of all this but one way to get around this might be to consider the fans that you're paying dividends to as a co-artist or something along those lines.

So for example,  a  fan/shareholder can book a show for an artist to help put together an upcoming tour and if the artist accepts the gig the fan can be rewarded(maybe in artist coins) and the artist can pay out dividends to all the fans once they have been paid. The important part would be making this process easy for your fans so they can do this without a back in forth email conversation.  They simply submit a form with the details and wait for the artist to confirm.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share some musings with you all.

Edit: Title didn't match
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 02:45:19 am by Sittingbull »