Author Topic: mesh networking, last mile problem, and BTSX  (Read 21039 times)

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile
Quote from: fussyhands
No I didn't.  I already answered them in a previous post in this thread.  To recap:  mainstream adopters do not care about centralization regardless of how upset libertarian cryptonerds feels about it.  Circle, Coinbase, etc are planning to offer pegged balances.  For most people a balance denominated in USD on Circle is the equivalent or even better than BitUSD.

I'm assuming these solutions you speak of will be like the current Locks system offered by Coinapult. Basically e-Gold. I'm not convinced.

What aren't you convinced?

Its a centralized solution subject to local regulations. For example, Coinapult won't offer Locks to the U.S. currently because of legal concerns. You also can't directly transact with the pegged asset like you can with bitUSD. The user would have to manually use a pegging service. I also can't see there ever being a yield offered. An e-Gold type pegging service will be expensive to run, considering they're actually buying the physical asset with the BTC.

Of course, I'll know more when / if these services are ever offered. I suspect if it were as easy as you're suggesting, it would have been implemented long ago. Hence, I remain unconvinced.

Interesting.  Do you know what the specific legal obstacles are?  Will these legal obstacles apply to BitAssets like BitUSD?  It might seem like decentralization makes BitUSD immune to regulation, but to actually be useful directly in transactions,  BitUSD needs to be integrated into the payments systems of the companies that you actually make payments to, almost all of whom will follow the rules pretty closely (mortgage company, utilities, cellular providers, restaurants/bars, groceries/retail, taxis/buses/airplanes/uber, shooting range, Amazon, whatever...all easy to regulate).  I don't see how decentralization is a big advantage legally.

I also don't see much problem with account balances in USD and transfers in BTC.  What does the user care how the money is transferred if it shows up as USD in their account?  Directly transacting in the pegged assets doesn't seem very important.

Also, my Bitshares X client shows zero yield.  Am I doing something wrong?  What is the yield expected to be?  You remain unconvinced because you haven't seen pegging services in the US yet.  By the same token, I'm unconvinced about the yield because I haven't seen it yet, and I don't see any reason that it would be substantial.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 02:17:34 pm by fussyhands »

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx
No I didn't.  I already answered them in a previous post in this thread.  To recap:  mainstream adopters do not care about centralization regardless of how upset libertarian cryptonerds feels about it.  Circle, Coinbase, etc are planning to offer pegged balances.  For most people a balance denominated in USD on Circle is the equivalent or even better than BitUSD.

I'm assuming these solutions you speak of will be like the current Locks system offered by Coinapult. Basically e-Gold. I'm not convinced.

Its a centralized solution subject to local regulations. For example, Coinapult won't offer Locks to the U.S. currently because of legal concerns. You also can't directly transact with the pegged asset like you can with bitUSD. The user would have to manually use a pegging service. I also can't see there ever being a yield offered. An e-Gold type pegging service will be expensive to run, considering they're actually buying the physical asset with the BTC.

Of course, I'll know more when / if these services are ever offered. I suspect if it were as easy as you're suggesting, it would have been implemented long ago. Hence, I remain unconvinced.

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile

Offline Method-X

• VIRAL
    • View Profile
    • Learn to code
  • BitShares: methodx

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile
You ignored the price stability and centralization arguments.

Also, there is still a non-trivial risk of double spend with zero confirmation payments in Bitcoin. Given any fixed period of time, the probability of double spend is lower in DPOS than in POW. Looking at the difference in risk of double spend between BitShares X and Bitcoin in just a 20 second time period is absolutely amazing. I think this will appeal to merchants, especially since it along with price stability means they can cut out middlemen like BitPay.

Merchants are already using Bitcoin.  How many of them are experiencing double spend problems by accepting zero confirmation transactions?  Almost none?  If they end up losing 0.05% of income to double spend attacks do you think it's that big a deal?  No.  What they are excited about is not having to pay 3% transaction fees, and losing 5% in charge backs.  7% improvements are a big deal.  0.05% improvements hardly even register. 

But fine, let's say you don't think that is a big deal. Fast transactions make the decentralized exchange possible. It would be too slow to run an exchange if the block intervals were 10 minutes. The decentralized exchange makes BitAssets and price stability possible. And of course it will be incredibly useful for later DAC functionality like trading cryptostock (remember BitShares is bigger than Bitcoin).

User doesn't care about any of that.  They just go to Circle and click the "peg to USD" button.

Also, your argument that the innovations of Bitcoin over traditional financial systems being more significant than the innovations of BitShares over Bitcoin don't make a lot of sense to me. From the perspective of an outsider in the traditional financial system, both BitShares' and Bitcoin's network effect look absolutely puny. I think it's the marginal benefit in the network effect that is going to seem insignificant to the outsider rather than the marginal benefit in the technology. If even a small fraction of outside wealth pours into BitShares (rather than Bitcoin because the technology advantages of BitShares makes it far more desirable to these outsiders), then BitShares can quickly gain network effect that rivals that of Bitcoin. So, I think it makes a lot more sense to target people who are currently outside the cryptocurrency community. And we have the technology to make it palatable to them: BitAssets with yields, TITAN, an exchange, etc.

You overlook what is keeping Bitcoin so far in the lead despite its technical inferiority:  all that outside wealth you are hoping will close that gap is thinking the same thing I'm arguing here, i.e. Bitcoin is way ahead on network effects and none of the altcoins offer anything truly compelling to users.  They are overwhelmingly betting on the leader.  Also as far as developing infrastructure Bitcoin is 1-2 years ahread of Bitshares.  That is a long lead time.

The Bitcoin network currently spends approximately $500 million per year for its current level of security (based on current prices, and assuming profit margins from mining tend toward zero). And only about a $1 million per year of that is from transaction fees. This is for a market cap of approximately $5 billion. As the value of bitcoin grows, would we want more or less security protecting the network? If we want to keep the network security the same as it is today (which I think would be a bad idea if it gets really big) then you have a valid point. Eventually, as the coinbase reduces to zero, that $500 million has to come from somewhere. You need it to come from a 500x increase in total transaction fees. This shouldn't be a problem if we assume the total transaction fees accumulated grows with the transaction volume. Right now Bitcoin transaction volume is on average equal to approximately 1 tx/s. Let's say this gets to Visa/Mastercard levels (4000 tx/s). This means transaction fees could be reduced to 1/8 of their current cost (of course this analysis is not including additional costs to the servers for handling this scale, but let's consider that negligible to the cost of POW). But now do you really think it is realistic to keep the security of a potentially multiple trillion dollar network secured by only $500 million per year. If we wanted the security of Bitcoin to scale with its market cap (with the proportionality constant it has today), then at coinbase saturation and Visa/Mastercard levels of transaction volume, the Bitcoin network could only support a $40 billion market cap without needing to increase transaction fees. If it needed to get to a trillion dollar market cap with this level of security, the transaction fees would have to increase by more than an order of magnitude.

$500m is plenty of security for a trillion dollar network, given that the benefits of attacking are so limited.  All it really gets you is the ability to perform a denial of service against the network.  Nobody would spend that kind of money to double spend small transactions, and double spending large transactions will just land you in jail.  Furthermore it will shatter confidence in the network and destroy your astronomical investment in specialized mining hardware.  The numbers just don't add up for a criminal organization.  For a hostile state... well what keeps them from printing a 100 trillion dollars worth of USD and dumping it on the world?  There are other incentives not to attack the world financial system...

But again, maybe you think $4 billion per year of security is good enough for even a trillion dollar network. Fine, then you are correct, transaction fees don't need to increase. But so what. Why settle for mediocrity when they can get lower transaction fees with higher effective security by using DPOS. People will eventually stop being blinded by the Bitcoin delusion and realize this. I generally think people are irrational, but I don't think they are that irrational.

*I* wouldn't settle for mediocrity.  But mainstream users don't give a shit about the technical details of the security, and even if they cared, they wouldn't have the capacity to make an informed decision.

Network effect is huge with currencies, I won't deny that. But look at the network effect of the US dollar. And yet, Bitcoin has the audacity to challenge that network effect. But you are saying it is unrealistic to expect BitShares to take on Bitcoin?

Bitcoin offers HUGE advantages over dollar denominated systems in terms of transaction fees, speed, security, etc.  If it has a chance, which is debatable, it is because of these paradigm shifting advantages.  Bitshares doesn't really offer much of any user tangible advantage over Bitcoin.

My understanding of your position is that you believe in the technology of BitShares but are constantly questioning yourself regarding whether BTSX could succeed over BTC.

That's right.  I want Bitshares to succeed because it's really similar to a system I designed on paper 3 years ago but didn't bother to make.  That is what got me excited about Bitshares.  Its technical superiority.  But the more I think about it, the less it seems to matter.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:49:58 pm by fussyhands »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
personally of course not.. I have invested in crypto how can I be in debt? :)

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Seriously do you know that the US debt is $17 trillion and adding the health insurance, pensions etc it goes to +$65 trillions.. How much more debt do you think the US will be able to issue until someone (mostly Chinese) require repayment of this debt?
Greece defaulted on its debt for +300 billions. Sure % wise it is higher than it's GDP but still... we are talking about trillions in the US...

Just to show you a small idea about debt worldwide.. http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock

Nobody talks about these things... Greece is the bad guy since we owe more than our GDP but no one is going to question the US...yet...! I think that in a couple of years people will realise the illusion of holding Gold bars, US $, paper currencies, worthless stocks and will realise that cryptos can be more valuable in exchanging them for olive oil, food, clothes etc..
I am very pessimistic about the future. IMHO we will experience a much much bigger crisis worldwide soon that is imaginable yet..

Are you in debt?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
ut that doesn't change the fact that to me, eventhough there are people commenting on how fast crypto is moving, I'm worried that we will not make it in time.

I am worried about this as well unfortunately..

Offline JoeyD

Seriously do you know that the US debt is $17 trillion and adding the health insurance, pensions etc it goes to +$65 trillions.. How much more debt do you think the US will be able to issue until someone (mostly Chinese) require repayment of this debt?
Greece defaulted on its debt for +300 billions. Sure % wise it is higher than it's GDP but still... we are talking about trillions in the US...

Just to show you a small idea about debt worldwide.. http://www.economist.com/content/global_debt_clock

Nobody talks about these things... Greece is the bad guy since we owe more than our GDP but no one is going to question the US...yet...! I think that in a couple of years people will realise the illusion of holding Gold bars, US $, paper currencies, worthless stocks and will realise that cryptos can be more valuable in exchanging them for olive oil, food, clothes etc..
I am very pessimistic about the future. IMHO we will experience a much much bigger crisis worldwide soon that is imaginable yet..

Well they do talk about it, but proponents of the current "system" (bit of a rhetoric trick in my view, because by using the term the suggestion is made that there actually is a system) interpret the chart you just posted differently. If your currency is in the form of IOUs, then you could argue the redder your country is, the more liquid it is as well. And that's all that matters to them, throughput, and the actual numbers on either end of books seem to be just arbitrary values to them, or not their problem.

I share your pessimism though, I can't put my finger on it, but somehow I've been feeling very uncomfortable about end 2014 and the year 2015. Also doesn't help that I keep running into researches pointing to the same year as the expected turning point in the cycle, then again that might just be me being oversensitive to that particular year. But that doesn't change the fact that to me, eventhough there are people commenting on how fast crypto is moving, I'm worried that we will not make it in time.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:41:37 am by JoeyD »

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile

Offline JoeyD

Perhaps you can build a delay tolerant mesh network for the "Internet of Things" with this DAC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtRTzXJvtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RusR2PiqPs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-tolerant_networking

Let's put CubeSats in space and use delay tolerant networking.

Ever since hearing of a similar project for bitcoin I've been wondering about what kind of actual throughput is possible with cubesats. With gps the satellites only send their own unique signal and you triangulate those signals on the ground, but I don't know how practical it would be to try and run a payment network via satellite.

Delay-tolerant-networking is just one tiny bit of the puzzle with mesh-networks, because mesh-networks need to be more adaptable  than just the occasional broken static connection route. Ideally a mesh network should also work in isolation but also be able to reconnect and resynchronize when mesh networks (re)connect. That is not an easy thing to solve.

So far we've only talked about extending the current existing network through mesh-networking, but I'm not aware of practical solutions for a mesh network that can divide and rejoin without any issues. It takes the problem of forks in a blockchain to a whole different level where forks are allowed to live side by side and then get merged when they touch each other.

I lack the technical knowledge in this field and I can't code, so I don't know the details about what happens when a fork is resolved and what will happen to the transaction history of the smaller mesh/fork joining a larger one. You'd probably need delay tolerant blockchains. Maybe a global heartbeat where all members send a signal at regular intervals, which would make clear who is part of the currently connected  nodes on this part of a meshnetwork and store that in the collective data. Then it might be possible to fit the separate pieces of the puzzle together afterward even if those pieces have been disconnected for an extended period of time.

EDIT
and to add some more sauce to the above...wait until the Chinese government start claiming repayment of the US debt to see what will happen...
*autsch* .. do you have any 'hard facts' on this? are they talking about this already?

Seems the opinions are divided on which country will be used to cash out on the shorting of the euro, but some bankers seem to think France is the next in line after the successful attempt to make some cracks with Greece.

If France goes I think even bitEUR would use it's utility, or maybe a number of historic museums would like it. Sort of like crypto coin collectors or something.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:05:01 am by JoeyD »

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
and to add some more sauce to the above...wait until the Chinese government start claiming repayment of the US debt to see what will happen...
*autsch* .. do you have any 'hard facts' on this? are they talking about this already?

Offline mf-tzo

• View Profile
I'm not sure what this interesting discussion has to do with the OP, but I'll resurrect my 0.02 bitUSD here to enrich the volatile fuel-air mix:

http://bitshares.org/stans-thoughts-on-dpos-and-bitcoin/

Wait and see what will happen when there is a Bank run in Greece, which I think will come by H1 2015 with all the political uncertainty and a new Grexit scenario from Eurozone... Cyprus bank crisis of last year will be nothing compared to what is coming and cryptos will experience the biggest pump ever. It will be bitcoin's latest pump to $2-$3k Imho before it collapses..

I just hope the biteur - bitusd market peg holds when this day comes because I need to move my fiat money asap. We need a stable finished client, some merchants to accept bitassets, fiat gateways and the rest will be history...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:54:23 am by mf-tzo »

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Perhaps you can build a delay tolerant mesh network for the "Internet of Things" with this DAC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWtRTzXJvtI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RusR2PiqPs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delay-tolerant_networking

Let's put CubeSats in space and use delay tolerant networking.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:08:45 am by luckybit »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline oldman

• View Profile
TITAN, bitUSD, yield.

That is all.