Author Topic: mesh networking, last mile problem, and BTSX  (Read 20788 times)

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy
Some people is trying to bring mesh networking to bitcoin:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-wi-fi-system-enables-payments-sharing-internet/

It seems one of the long awaited “killer apps” of Bitcoin is almost here. A new video on YouTube shows off a Bitcoin Wi-Fi hotspot that can receive Bitcoin payments.

This means that anyone with a connection to the Internet could soon be able to share their connection with complete strangers in exchange for bitcoins. Although the demo of the concept in the video is quite basic, it gives us a glimpse of how Bitcoin may be able to fuel the mesh networks of the future.

Awesome!  This is along the lines of what was suggested in the OP.  How to implement the same concept in BTS or BitUSD?

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile
USD has been doing fine and is already decentralized in the sense that it is managed by a democratically elected government. 

I recommend you start by reconsidering every individual word in this sentence.   :)

I know it's pointless to even have a conversation with libertarian ideologues, but yes USD buying power has had very low volatility for many many decades and followed a smooth predictable trend line.  This makes it very useful as currency and unit of account, because it has been easy to predict how much it will be worth, and over the period of a few years its worth is pretty stable.  The same cannot be said for gold (whose buying power is EXTREMELY volatile), or for the dollar when it was on the gold standard.

But of course, there is not much point in even trying to discuss this with libertarian ideologues.

I actually think you are trolling.

Nope.  I'm just not deluded.

I've actually had people on this message board tell me that the buying power of gold is not extremely volatile!!!  All it takes is a 10 second Google search to see how absurd that is.

That's a special kind of delusion.  The religiously motivated kind.  In this case is the religion of libertarianism.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:00:43 pm by fussyhands »

Offline lakerta06

USD has been doing fine and is already decentralized in the sense that it is managed by a democratically elected government. 

I recommend you start by reconsidering every individual word in this sentence.   :)

I know it's pointless to even have a conversation with libertarian ideologues, but yes USD buying power has had very low volatility for many many decades and followed a smooth predictable trend line.  This makes it very useful as currency and unit of account, because it has been easy to predict how much it will be worth, and over the period of a few years its worth is pretty stable.  The same cannot be said for gold (whose buying power is EXTREMELY volatile), or for the dollar when it was on the gold standard.

But of course, there is not much point in even trying to discuss this with libertarian ideologues.

I actually think you are trolling.

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
Some people is trying to bring mesh networking to bitcoin:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-wi-fi-system-enables-payments-sharing-internet/

It seems one of the long awaited “killer apps” of Bitcoin is almost here. A new video on YouTube shows off a Bitcoin Wi-Fi hotspot that can receive Bitcoin payments.

This means that anyone with a connection to the Internet could soon be able to share their connection with complete strangers in exchange for bitcoins. Although the demo of the concept in the video is quite basic, it gives us a glimpse of how Bitcoin may be able to fuel the mesh networks of the future.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 05:12:17 am by 麥可貓 »
PTS: PmRVDPymZqSAZEXauHZSewrUrE66af7epT
BTSX: michaelcat
Delegate Team: x1.sun  x2.sun

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile

Offline lovejoy

• View Profile
    • Cryptofresh
  • BitShares: lovejoy

+5% +5% +5%
LOL

I can't resist: The truest words from Alan Greenspan ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGy-gTksnII
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:06:11 pm by bits »

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile

+5% +5% funniest sentence ever!

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan

Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline fussyhands

• View Profile
Or alternatively, Stripe or PayPal or some other big payment company will start offering fast low fee transfers before Bitcoin reaches critical mass and every cryptocoin will be consigned to be the play things of libertarian cryptonerds forever more.

I like Bitcoin because I think it's obscene that we pay a 3% tax on every card transaction we do.  Moving money around should not cost 3%.  It's flipping a few bits.  It should cost almost nothing.

I like cryptocurrency because of the possibility of building things like distributed meshnets for sharing internet connectivity.  In other words, because its reduces the constraints on creative freedom.

But if there are no killer apps, if there is nothing legitimately new and transformative that is enabled by cryptocurrency, I don't much care about it.

I think I finally understand your point of view. You don't care about Bitcoin or blockchain technology at all. You might still care about cryptocurrency in the sense of the push rather than pull model (meaning you sign specific transactions for specific amounts rather than giving away the keys to the kingdom with our current system of credit cards and ACH). What you want is essentially DPOS but where the number of delegates is exactly 1 (the corporation/government owning the system) and they cannot be voted in/out (hey that means you get faster confirmation times and better scalability than BitShares X!  :P). Decentralization? Who needs it (according to you). Either you personally don't care about decentralization of power, or you believe the masses will never care about it despite the benefits it provides.

I think decentralization is essential for a *cryptocurrency* to gain adoption.  But for a fiat currency (like USD) or for a bank, users don't much care.  I'm not that concerned about decentralization of power in regards to USD.  USD has been doing fine and is already decentralized in the sense that it is managed by a democratically elected government.  It's only the libertarian ideologues who are motivated by decentralization, because their eyes start to bleed every time they have to pay their tax bills.  I'm not one of those.  What I like about cryptocurrency is the technological barriers it can help us over come.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:18:20 pm by fussyhands »

Offline monsterer

Yes, it is using mesh network technology, from here:

I was looking here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireChat

Firechat appears to work in a similar way to the much more mature IEEE 802.11s mesh wifi protocol
My opinions do not represent those of metaexchange unless explicitly stated.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
For smartphones, iOS 7.0+ and android 4.0+ already have features required to implement mesh networking in you apps, and that's one of the reasons why apps like firechat are so popular these days.

I don't think firechat uses Mesh protocol - it might be some other technique like ad-hoc?

Yes, it is using mesh network technology, from here:
As throngs of pro-democracy protesters continue to organize in Hong Kong's central business district, many of them are messaging one another through a network that doesn't require cell towers or Wi-Fi nodes. They're using an app called FireChat that launched in March and is underpinned by mesh networking , which lets phones unite to form a temporary Internet.

Furthermore, the company developed firechat also has another app called opengarden that provide mesh networking for desktops (Win/OSX).

Offline monsterer

For smartphones, iOS 7.0+ and android 4.0+ already have features required to implement mesh networking in you apps, and that's one of the reasons why apps like firechat are so popular these days.

I don't think firechat uses Mesh protocol - it might be some other technique like ad-hoc?
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
Have you considered the technical issues at hand with this idea?

Most existing wifi routers would need a firmware flash to support the correct mode on the NIC. I'm pretty such most mobile phone do not support this either by default.

Routers did requires some customization, but I think it won't be a problem if there is a financial incentive, especially there are already many linux-based routers that can use free firmwares like totmato, dd-wrt, etc that can add any functions you want.

Offline monsterer

Have you considered the technical issues at hand with this idea?

Most existing wifi routers would need a firmware flash to support the correct mode on the NIC. I'm pretty such most mobile phone do not support this either by default.

Offline 麥可貓

• View Profile
in this article from WSJ blog, the mesh network technology is mentioned as important as blockchain technology. If bitshares can have them both, I think this would be the killer feature that is superior than any competitiors.