Author Topic: The current path of USD to bitUSD  (Read 9050 times)

Offline Vizzini

• View Profile
  • BitShares: vizzini
Any progress now?
(Sorry for reviving old post)

Don't be sorry. It's pretty darned important.
Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Offline clayop

• View Profile
    • Bitshares Korea
  • BitShares: clayop
Any progress now?
(Sorry for reviving old post)
Bitshares Korea - http://www.bitshares.kr
Vote for me and see Korean Bitshares community grows
delegate-clayop

Offline Thom

So if this year people will be able to purchase bitUSD directly, then how many transactions would it take for all the fees to start increasing the value of bitsharesX?

Do anyone how to calculate this?

It really depends on why they are buying BitUSD. If it's a means to spend it all and cash out, then the value impact is really a wash. Once BitUSD is being used for transactions, it needs to be something the recipient will hold, or change into BTSX, etc, staying in this ecosystem. One they get confident in BitUSD itself, it could become a virtual bank account, but that will take time to earn the sort of trust needed. Because once it gets converted to BTC, fiat, etc., then that added volume has not increased the value. Just look at Litecoin with all the mining and cashing out--plenty of volume, but minimal appreciation for awhile now. Regarding pre-paid debit cards, I'm not aware of the numbers on those, but I do know that $1-2 billion in gift cards go unused every year. People often tend to hold, forget, or lose pre-paid cards when small amounts are involved.

And even with normal use it's fairly rare when gift card holders spend 100% of the card's balance. Usually there at least a few cents, if not a few dollars left on the card where the balance is so small it isn't practical to use it in many cases.
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere - MLK |  Verbaltech2 Witness Reports: https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php/topic,23902.0.html

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
So then maybe the best strategy is to hand out prepaid cards to people that trade and hold a lot of USD, I wonder who those people could be.
BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
So if this year people will be able to purchase bitUSD directly, then how many transactions would it take for all the fees to start increasing the value of bitsharesX?

It really depends on why they are buying BitUSD. If it's a means to spend it all and cash out, then the value impact is really a wash. Once BitUSD is being used for transactions, it needs to be something the recipient will hold, or change into BTSX, etc, staying in this ecosystem. One they get confident in BitUSD itself, it could become a virtual bank account, but that will take time to earn the sort of trust needed. Because once it gets converted to BTC, fiat, etc., then that added volume has not increased the value. Just look at Litecoin with all the mining and cashing out--plenty of volume, but minimal appreciation for awhile now. Regarding pre-paid debit cards, I'm not aware of the numbers on those, but I do know that $1-2 billion in gift cards go unused every year. People often tend to hold, forget, or lose pre-paid cards when small amounts are involved.

Offline bluebit

• View Profile
So if this year people will be able to purchase bitUSD directly, then how many transactions would it take for all the fees to start increasing the value/profits of bitsharesX?

BTSX TipMe: bluebit

Offline tonyk

• View Profile
cool, this year ")

just 3 months left  ;) ;)

And when he wrote "this year" he was pointing on the calendar to  .  .  .  2014, we hope!

LOL
Lack of arbitrage is the problem, isn't it. And this 'should' solves it.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile
cool, this year ")

And when he wrote "this year" he was pointing on the calendar to  .  .  .  2014, we hope!

Offline yoo

• View Profile
cool, this year ")

Offline xfund

• View Profile
    • FUND投票基金
  • BitShares: xfund
Asset:FUND

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Soon to be 1 step.

+5%

I3 just keeps nailing it.

What is really fantastic about bitUSD though, is that it lends itself so perfectly to something like localbitcoins. It will be almost impossible to be scammed or ripped off if the seller just charges a % fee and then gives you bitUSD one for one.

Localbitcoins is interesting because it provides a way to completely sidestep the banking complex and exchange physical assets for digital assets.

It would very, very interesting if, in addition to CC/debit gateways, I3 could integrate a P2P gateway for direct conversion of physical to crypto.

So P2P USD -> bitUSD, CNY -> bitCNY, gold -> bitGLD, silver -> bitSLV etc. etc.

Circle + Localbitcoins.

Edit: I just re-read... imagine the love child of Circle/LBTC integrated into the client.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:59:50 pm by OldMan »

Offline Rune

• View Profile
What is really fantastic about bitUSD though, is that it lends itself so perfectly to something like localbitcoins. It will be almost impossible to be scammed or ripped off (on the price) if the seller just charges a % fee and then gives you bitUSD one for one. Average people will feel a lot safer getting into it, I think.

Offline Gentso1

• View Profile
  • BitShares: gentso
+5%
This is very good. Hopefully 1 step globally, not just in the U.S.

The rest of the world should be easy, US is probably the tricky part because of banking laws.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
 +5%
This is very good. Hopefully 1 step globally, not just in the U.S.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads