Author Topic: Getting started with KeyID / importing wallets  (Read 36442 times)

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
Not being in newbie in the crypto scene and experience with different clients, I don't quite understand what it does not work for me….
Any help is appreciated

No problem. We will do our best to help you.

I am not familiar with mac. But I can try to help you with the same concept used in Window client.  If the Mac GUI import is not working for you, we can try using the console command.  You will need to find out the file path of the wallet.dat.  It will be something like "~/Library/Application Support/BitShares-PTS/wallet.dat".  Are you able to find out the wallet.dat file path?

Hmm not really, I guess…
How does one do that? :-)

There is a guide with visual help. See if this helps.

http://superuser.com/questions/371513/how-to-tell-full-path-of-file-on-mac

Edit: If you can get the file path, you may be able to paste it into the 'wallet path' box and click 'Import Wallet'.  This will save you from having to try the console method.

Hi

There is no 'wallet path' box in the OSX version?

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube
I seem to be stuck on block 1251.  My wallet stopped syncing.  Any reason you guys can think of?

There is another person who had problem with the Mac GUI but succeeded with the CLI (command-line client).  See https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=10122.msg132078#msg132078

The program client bitshares_client is in subfolder /programs/client. Have you tried that?
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline JakeThePanda

• View Profile
I seem to be stuck on block 1251.  My wallet stopped syncing.  Any reason you guys can think of?

Offline cube

• View Profile
Not being in newbie in the crypto scene and experience with different clients, I don't quite understand what it does not work for me….
Any help is appreciated

I am not familiar with mac. But I can try to help you with the same concept used in Window client.  If the Mac GUI import is not working for you, we can try using the console command.  You will need to find out the file path of the wallet.dat.  It will be something like "~/Library/Application Support/BitShares-PTS/wallet.dat".  Are you able to find out the wallet.dat file path?

Hmm not really, I guess…

There is a guide with visual help. See if this helps.

http://superuser.com/questions/371513/how-to-tell-full-path-of-file-on-mac

Edit: If you can get the file path, you may be able to paste it into the 'wallet path' box and click 'Import Wallet'.  This will save you from having to try the console method.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:07:48 pm by cube »

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
Any help is appreciated

Hmm not really, I guess…

Offline cube

• View Profile
Any help is appreciated

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
Any help is appreciated

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
back up the account to a .dat file?
that worked
now importing it into the keyid client… seems import wallet in the tabs does not work?
does the complete blockchain has to be downloaded first before I can import?

best regards

Are you using the latest keyid wallet - version 0.0.4? If not, please download from http://keyid.info and upgrade your wallet.  I have put up a screenshot of how to import from bitcoin/pts using the latest wallet.  Please check that you see the tags "Keys" and "Import Keys from Wallet".

http://keyid.cubeconnex.com/img/import-pts.png
On second thought, it is easier for a new user to import the PTS wallet.dat (ie ignore the dump-pts-key step).  You do not need to wait for the blockchain to sync before importing. The balance will show up after the blockchain is synced.

How do I import the wallet.dat file into the keyid client?

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to#Attempting_a_wallet_import_to_receive_BTSX_from_February_28th_snapshot

It doesn't work.
In the keyid client, I don't have the option to pick a bitcoin-format wallet or any other.
There is only one option and that is to select the tab on top of the keyid client 'file', then 'import wallet'. But when I try to locate the 'wallet.dat' file I created from the backing up of the PTS client, it is not highlighted so I can't select it to be imported.
In the wiki.bitshares.org tutorial that you sent me I can see that the complete directory has to be selected to be able to import the wallet. However, there is no directory in OS X….
A .dmg package installer creates a bishares PTS .app file. That's about it in OSX…There is no directory as in windows….

Best regards

?

Offline cube

• View Profile
that worked
now importing it into the keyid client… seems import wallet in the tabs does not work?

best regards

Are you using the latest keyid wallet - version 0.0.4? If not, please download from http://keyid.info and upgrade your wallet.  I have put up a screenshot of how to import from bitcoin/pts using the latest wallet.  Please check that you see the tags "Keys" and "Import Keys from Wallet".

http://keyid.cubeconnex.com/img/import-pts.png
On second thought, it is easier for a new user to import the PTS wallet.dat (ie ignore the dump-pts-key step).  You do not need to wait for the blockchain to sync before importing. The balance will show up after the blockchain is synced.

http://wiki.bitshares.org/index.php/Bitshares-x-how-to#Attempting_a_wallet_import_to_receive_BTSX_from_February_28th_snapshot

It doesn't work.
In the keyid client, I don't have the option to pick a bitcoin-format wallet or any other.
There is only one option and that is to select the tab on top of the keyid client 'file', then 'import wallet'. But when I try to locate the 'wallet.dat' file I created from the backing up of the PTS client, it is not highlighted so I can't select it to be imported.
In the wiki.bitshares.org tutorial that you sent me I can see that the complete directory has to be selected to be able to import the wallet. However, there is no directory in OS X….
A .dmg package installer creates a bishares PTS .app file. That's about it in OSX…There is no directory as in windows….

Best regards

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
that worked

best regards

It doesn't work.

Best regards

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
that worked

best regards

BTSX: codeblooded   |   PTS: PiiQ6ZECCRYawcZFc8ZGbvjuCjCnBVuPjA
BTSX delegate: wallet_approve_delegate codeblooded true

Offline Bitty

• View Profile
that worked

best regards

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
Okay, now I attempted to import my private key for my Bitcoin wallet that contributed to AGS, but I am not being rewarded.   I found my address in the genesis block using the link Xeroc provided.   Can't figure it out.  It pulls back blank transactions with not "claim" memo. 

Offline cube

• View Profile
that worked

best regards

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:39:27 pm by cube »

Offline educatedwarrior

• View Profile
An error can occur on attempting to dumpprivkey, which does not explain that you need to first unlock your wallet. To unlock your PTS wallet for a bit, you can use this command in the console / debug window:

walletpassphrase <your_password> 9999999 true

Then you can try dumpprivkey.

pgbit, that did it.  THANKS!!!!!!