Author Topic: DAC Personality?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
We often dismiss insanity as broken understanding, but often it is just creative understanding taken to its limit, where it is easy to slip into malfunction or worse, delusions..

We do live in a mythical, ideologically saturated landscape, but in modern times we tend to dismiss it as irrational, insane or unhelpful. Perhaps a revival is possible, but it seems to emerge always with a Lynchian undertone we might not be ready for (threat of delusion) https://vimeo.com/44583147

The more comfortable direction is to invoke Mechs to evoke space race age nostalgia, Back to the Future, and various other things that seem naive now - but I think it makes blurry the distressing importance of the things at stake.

In the end perhaps we require these blurred symbols to protect our own health and sanity, and certainly as marketing we should doubt that honesty and truth is king, as it is often terrifying and even unhelpful to individuals.

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Hahaha, this is awesome.  +5% +5%

If you follow the bitcoin subreddit, imagine the "epic bearwhale fight" painting, with the BTSX-robot or another anthro-blockchain fighting instead of the bitcoin warrior. It'd be like the Hercules artworks of ancient Greece.

Seriously, it would be absolutely amazing marketing to have this kind of symbolism - like a slightly more serious version of dogecoin. I'm gonna put some more thought into how this should actually be executed.

+5% +5% +5%

I love this idea. The mythical landscape where Bitcoin, BitShares, NXT, Ethereum, etc. exist and battle it out and form friendships and face common enemies. Soon enough a lot of talented artists eager to make real money will flock to help out and co-create the ideology.

Offline Riverhead

I am friendly and here for your protection.

I could use a nickname - I like puns with the word "key".

The Cyclops of Crypto is happily protecting your identity!

Nicknames...hmm. I do love puns; I'll get back to you on that one.

Offline cube

• Bit by bit, we will get there!
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: bitcube

I like this friendly simple icon - a circle with a few strokes.  Easy to remember. +5%
ID: bitcube
bitcube is a dedicated witness and committe member. Please vote for bitcube.

Offline Stan

• You need to think BIGGER, Pinky...
    • View Profile
    • Cryptonomex
  • BitShares: Stan
How X could be represented:

I'd say any graphic representiation of a robot could be X, the nature of BTSX is that they're able to convert themselves into all kinds of currencies, so it can have any robot shape it wants. Different colors schemes could represent different currencies such as blue = BTSX, green = bitUSD, red = bitCNY, orange = bitBTC, etc.

The distinguishing feature could be the "weapon"/symbol as it is for greek gods. In the case of X the symbol could be a giant flag with an X on it, just like the linkin park bot. I think X is the best name for the bot since it makes it possible for the Chinese members of the community to understand the name.

I disagree that the avatar should not be doing anything. The whole point is to have a way for the community to connect with the blockchain, and to make it into something that people care about for more than just the profit. We need all kinds of artwork and ways to represent it in different situations. My wet dream is an end user wallet with a clipper style mascot that then transforms itself into different colours whenever you execute a market order, that would make an excellent wallet to use for microtransactions in games by the younger demographic.

The existence of this avatar would increase the emotional investment into the system, and would thus increase engagement from the average user into community things such as voting.

Very cool.  Nice thinking.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract of any kind.   These are merely my opinions which I reserve the right to change at any time.

Offline donkeypong

• View Profile

Offline Rune

• View Profile
How X could be represented:

I'd say any graphic representiation of a robot could be X, the nature of BTSX is that they're able to convert themselves into all kinds of currencies, so it can have any robot shape it wants. Different colors schemes could represent different currencies such as blue = BTSX, green = bitUSD, red = bitCNY, orange = bitBTC, etc.

The distinguishing feature could be the "weapon"/symbol as it is for greek gods. In the case of X the symbol could be a giant flag with an X on it, just like the linkin park bot. I think X is the best name for the bot since it makes it possible for the Chinese members of the community to understand the name.

I disagree that the avatar should not be doing anything. The whole point is to have a way for the community to connect with the blockchain, and to make it into something that people care about for more than just the profit. We need all kinds of artwork and ways to represent it in different situations. My wet dream is an end user wallet with a clipper style mascot that then transforms itself into different colours whenever you execute a market order, that would make an excellent wallet to use for microtransactions in games by the younger demographic.

The existence of this avatar would increase the emotional investment into the system, and would thus increase engagement from the average user into community things such as voting.

Offline KeyID

• View Profile

Offline luckybit

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Luckybit
Seeing this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29456257 prompted a thought that perhaps DACs could be given a personality - just an avatar would do. Given BitShares liking of robots, I wonder that giving a face to a name, might help each different DACs characteristics register with users more quickly. The trouble atm with Bitcoin2.0 is there are too many threads and anything that helps to clearly distingush them will help.
Good idea.
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline davidpbrown

Simple benevolent gods overseeing the activity would do. They don't need to be doing anything directly except supping on ambrosia and mead.. maybe later they can be seen to have acted - plumelling the opposition or laying them to rest.
฿://1CBxm54Ah5hiYxiUtD7JGYRXykT5Z6ZuMc

Offline Rune

• View Profile
and obviously, don't forget Godesses too!..

Incidentally, I would suggest avoid looking to pick a fight.. there's too much petty infighting between some crypto supporters, that only pushes people away. Best to rise above conflict and just focus on the positives.

True, and an "exchange robot" doesn't really have the capability to fight. Anyway, I realized that there are already precedents for these avatars. Bitcoin has the bitcoin wizard, and doge has the doge. It would be interesting to see imaginary interactions between these different avatars, that would also help foster a shared community across all cryptos.

Offline davidpbrown

and obviously, don't forget Godesses too!..

Incidentally, I would suggest avoid looking to pick a fight.. there's too much petty infighting between some crypto supporters, that only pushes people away. Best to rise above conflict and just focus on the positives.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
I hadn't in mind Gods as I have an aversion to religions but it perhaps does fit here. DAC's being dieties would avoid the need for them to have a personality that was available to interact with. Would be like the Greek gods of old.. us mear mortals just suffer their power and idiosyncratic characters.

If you follow the bitcoin subreddit, imagine the "epic bearwhale fight" painting, with the BTSX-robot or another anthro-blockchain fighting instead of the bitcoin warrior. It'd be like the Hercules artworks of ancient Greece.

Seriously, it would be absolutely amazing marketing to have this kind of symbolism - like a slightly more serious version of dogecoin. I'm gonna put some more thought into how this should actually be executed.

Offline davidpbrown

I hadn't in mind Gods as I have an aversion to religions but it perhaps does fit here. DAC's being dieties would avoid the need for them to have a personality that was available to interact with. Would be like the Greek gods of old.. us mear mortals just suffer their power and idiosyncratic characters.

Offline Rune

• View Profile
This actually resonates with some of the ideas I have had for growing a healthy political/voting culture in the community of stakeholders as well. There's needs to be a specific DAC culture that reflects it is more than just a company or a coin. Crypto communities have this trait of being extremely zealous of their chosen brand, and also deifying people or ideas. In Bitcoin we've seen this deification particularly well with Satoshi, due to his anonymous nature. He is consistently seen as the highest authority on any question that has to do with blockchain technology, with every developer or bitcoin celebrity appealing to his authority.

In the bitshares community, rather than have our "God" be the developers, it could be the system itself. One of the interesting things with the DPOS system is that it actually becomes possible for the DAC itself to take on certain anthropomorphic traits, such as the ability to have persistent opinions about certain subject due to persistent delegate voting habits of stakeholders, especially the early whales.

I imagine that the virtual robot avatar of our blockchain God would name himself X, the Exchanger, given what this DAC is about. If we can't change it, we'll have to leverage the stupid x in the btsx name somehow and this would make sense.