Author Topic: Better than Bitcoin Interview with Bit N Mortar  (Read 5830 times)

Offline carpet ride

• View Profile
In order to compare cryptos you need a frame of reference that allows you compare and contrast features and to determine value. That frame of reference is dependent on what your goals are for that crypto. Is the a company a perfect methaphor? No. But it gives us a set of metrics by which we can compare and contrast different functions. Since there is no uniform definition of what cryptos are yet, we have to use what we are already familiar with in order to describe them. I for one believe the company metaphor is accurate enough to compare and contrast if the goal of the comparison is decide if a crypto is economically feasible to exist. For some that is not the goal so this metaphor does not work for them.

If you're goal is not to make money for the shareholder, a la Bitcoin, then you are a charity?  Can you provide any examples of where the company or charity metaphor does not fit
All opinions are my own. Anything said on this forum does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation between myself and anyone else.
Check out my blog: http://CertainAssets.com
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Pheonike

In order to compare cryptos you need a frame of reference that allows you compare and contrast features and to determine value. That frame of reference is dependent on what your goals are for that crypto. Is the a company a perfect methaphor? No. But it gives us a set of metrics by which we can compare and contrast different functions. Since there is no uniform definition of what cryptos are yet, we have to use what we are already familiar with in order to describe them. I for one believe the company metaphor is accurate enough to compare and contrast if the goal of the comparison is decide if a crypto is economically feasible to exist. For some that is not the goal so this metaphor does not work for them.

Offline bytemaster

Considering BTC as a "cryptocurrency" is a misnomer for the reasons stated above as well as the fact that a useful function of currency is the property of being a stable store of value- which BTC obviously lacks.
In my view nobody yet has stated a logical reason why BTC is not or cannot be a currency, but that of course is just my view. Though I think its an argument that might work for some people, I'm still not seeing its relevance. BitUSD can be compared to BTC, with the benefit of stability etc. Bitshares is a different beast designed to make profit for owners and not be used for trade, it just uses the same block chain technology. Hmmm, you see how distracting this can all be? But all this is a minor point, it really was a brilliant presentation.

Anything can be a currency...  a currency is how something is used.   So the question is... what is bitcoin...  it is shares in an unprofitable company being used as a currency.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
Considering BTC as a "cryptocurrency" is a misnomer for the reasons stated above as well as the fact that a useful function of currency is the property of being a stable store of value- which BTC obviously lacks.
In my view nobody yet has stated a logical reason why BTC is not or cannot be a currency, but that of course is just my view. Though I think its an argument that might work for some people, I'm still not seeing its relevance. BitUSD can be compared to BTC, with the benefit of stability etc. Bitshares is a different beast designed to make profit for owners and not be used for trade, it just uses the same block chain technology. Hmmm, you see how distracting this can all be? But all this is a minor point, it really was a brilliant presentation.

Offline onceuponatime

Wow Brian! You hit it out of the park with this interview. I'm very impressed and grateful.

Offline robrigo

Offline sschechter

• View Profile
One thing I don't understand is why is it necessary to tell people Bitcoin is a company (an unprofitable one) not a currency. Firstly, I don't really understand the logic of why it cannot be considered a currency. But secondly if people want to think of Bitcoin as a currency, that's fine, because its not in direct competition with Bitshares. As I am a bit confused, maybe others are, so is it really a key marketing point?

From a BTS/DAC perspective, Bitcoin definitely resembles shares more so than a currency. The shares happen to be in an unprofitable company.

It's a great marketing pitch. When it clicks, there's an "ah-ha!" moment of understanding. Followed by a smug grin.

Yeah, one of the Larimers' early metaphors was that Bitcoin is a company that pays 100% of revenue and a huge dilution subsidy to security guards (aka miners). That really clicked with me, and is one of the reasons I'm with BitShares today.

+5%

Because using the wrong metaphor enables those to make all sorts of irrational excuses as to why their investment is losing money....
BTSX: sschechter
PTS: PvBUyPrDRkJLVXZfvWjdudRtQgv1Fcy5Qe

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
One thing I don't understand is why is it necessary to tell people Bitcoin is a company (an unprofitable one) not a currency. Firstly, I don't really understand the logic of why it cannot be considered a currency. But secondly if people want to think of Bitcoin as a currency, that's fine, because its not in direct competition with Bitshares. As I am a bit confused, maybe others are, so is it really a key marketing point?

From a BTS/DAC perspective, Bitcoin definitely resembles shares more so than a currency. The shares happen to be in an unprofitable company.

It's a great marketing pitch. When it clicks, there's an "ah-ha!" moment of understanding. Followed by a smug grin.

Yeah, one of the Larimers' early metaphors was that Bitcoin is a company that pays 100% of revenue and a huge dilution subsidy to security guards (aka miners). That really clicked with me, and is one of the reasons I'm with BitShares today.
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline roadscape

http://cryptofresh.com  |  witness: roadscape

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
This was a really great interview, keep it up.

I think it's important to explain that DACs are an extension of the cryptocurrency concept, otherwise people think of traditional companies and then start trying to decentralize them - this leads you astray very fast and doesn't capture what we're really about
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
This was a really great interview, keep it up.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
You explained bitshares elegantly and in an easy to understand way  +5%

Offline cgafeng

BTC:1EYwcZ9cYVj6C9LMLafdcjK9wicVMDV376

Offline Riverhead