25 (27.2%)
KeyMail (Key ID)
15 (16.3%)
Leave it alone!
38 (41.3%)
Something else.
6 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Keyhotee Rebranding - BitMail / BitKey / KeyMail / KeyID  (Read 50636 times)

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
I agree, I think that Keyhotee will never catch on with that name.  It's quite off-putting (you really have to think about how to pronounce it -- I think that most people would pronounce the middle syllable "hot" and not be able to make the connection with Don Quixote) and I actually think of Don Quixote in a negative light as well.  "Tilting at windmills" is generally a negative phrase.  I haven't said anything so far because I know how nerds love their puns.  (Don't stone me, I'm a nerd too!)

I think that the "can it be used as a verb" thing is important.  In a perfect world, I would choose "Keyper", "Keypr", "Keepr", or something like that.  It seems that all of those domain names are taken.  We need some short verb that at least kinda makes sense to use with "Key".  Keyfixer/Keyfixr?  KeyHopper?  Keydigger?  KeyZapper?  KeypTabs?  KeypMe?

I think people would end up associating the name Keyhotee with the product Keyhotee and little else and it would not preclude it from being successful.  So if people like the product, they will come to like the name.  "Yahoo" doesn't have any good connotations; look up the definition.

The definitions for yahoo I found:
a rude, noisy, or violent person
a boorish, crass, or stupid person
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:04:34 am by Agent86 »

Offline bitbadger

• View Profile
I agree, I think that Keyhotee will never catch on with that name.  It's quite off-putting (you really have to think about how to pronounce it -- I think that most people would pronounce the middle syllable "hot" and not be able to make the connection with Don Quixote) and I actually think of Don Quixote in a negative light as well.  "Tilting at windmills" is generally a negative phrase.  I haven't said anything so far because I know how nerds love their puns.  (Don't stone me, I'm a nerd too!)

I think that the "can it be used as a verb" thing is important.  In a perfect world, I would choose "Keyper", "Keypr", "Keepr", or something like that.  It seems that all of those domain names are taken.  We need some short verb that at least kinda makes sense to use with "Key".  Keyfixer/Keyfixr?  KeyHopper?  Keydigger?  KeyZapper?  KeypTabs?  KeypMe?
Pei5BrnEUqcCuUdffNZmBPL3rg6duj3vnU

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
What about something like "Privee" (pronounced like the word privy - has the connotation of information you only share with those who should have it)

In any case I think if we were to switch names it should be something that people REALLY like and a clear consensus emerges. The community seems open to considering a new name (with keyhotee being the code name during development) but it would need to be something special that captures people's imagination and everyone gravitates to it, not just "BitMail."  There are big costs to making a switch, it needs to be marketed and a lot of people like keyhotee; at some point you have to stick to something.  So if you don't like the name, think of something that really captures people and gets a lot of support, gets people excited, get creative, think outside the box.  I don't think we should make a change if there is a large split in opinion.

+5%

Offline Agent86

• BTSX: agent86
    • View Profile
What about something like "Privee" (pronounced like the word privy - has the connotation of information you only share with those who should have it)

In any case I think if we were to switch names it should be something that people REALLY like and a clear consensus emerges. The community seems open to considering a new name (with keyhotee being the code name during development) but it would need to be something special that captures people's imagination and everyone gravitates to it, not just "BitMail."  There are big costs to making a switch, it needs to be marketed and a lot of people like keyhotee; at some point you have to stick to something.  So if you don't like the name, think of something that really captures people and gets a lot of support, gets people excited, get creative, think outside the box.  I don't think we should make a change if there is a large split in opinion.

Offline santaclause102

• View Profile
I respectfully submit the Keyhotee moniker is inadequate and may hinder widespread adoption.

Im glad someone has raised this issue - I was about to raise this as well.

Here is a list of communication networks that are extremely popular:

-Twitter
-Facebook

Now here is a list of communication networks that only techies have heard of:

-Bitmessage
-Torchat

Ignoring the fact that the second list require users to share hashes of public keys, there is another pattern there - successful product names are catchy, don't include techy jargon, and can often be used as a verb. I would assert that Keyhotee is NOT catchy, and is borderline jargon. Whilst you can say "Skype/Tweet me", the phrase "send me a Keyhotee" is never going to catch on.

I dont want to have to go around my family evangelizing a product with the word "Bit" in the name either - its extremely geeky, and most people are not interested in the technology, they are interested in the social experience. For a communication system to actually get any momentum, the branding is just as important as the technology.

True good points. But the suggestions are so generic and also doent follow the patern you named. The suggestions are made up of two generic words. Skype etc. are newly made up words. And I think Keyhotee is very catchy and distinct. And the referrence to Quixote is great to make marketing stories out of it in NSA times...
Maybe there are other suggestions which keep the advantages and improve on length (Keyhotee has 3 syllables which also makes it hard to use as a verb), "verb-alizing" qualities etc.

Whatsapp and Facebook are not used as verbs by the way....

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
Good points by trader, more than five percentage points to him.

Offline speedy

• View Profile
  • BitShares: speedy
I respectfully submit the Keyhotee moniker is inadequate and may hinder widespread adoption.

Im glad someone has raised this issue - I was about to raise this as well.

Here is a list of communication networks that are extremely popular:

-Twitter
-Facebook

Now here is a list of communication networks that only techies have heard of:

-Bitmessage
-Torchat

Ignoring the fact that the second list require users to share hashes of public keys, there is another pattern there - successful product names are catchy, don't include techy jargon, and can often be used as a verb. I would assert that Keyhotee is NOT catchy, and is borderline jargon. Whilst you can say "Skype/Tweet me", the phrase "send me a Keyhotee" is never going to catch on.

I dont want to have to go around my family evangelizing a product with the word "Bit" in the name either - its extremely geeky, and most people are not interested in the technology, they are interested in the social experience. For a communication system to actually get any momentum, the branding is just as important as the technology.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 11:12:24 pm by trader »

Offline oldman

• View Profile
Keyhotee as the platform/protocol and individual child services (keyID, keyMail, keyWallet, keyMessage) is interesting.

One could easily imagine users asking "What's your key?" in much the same way as users now ask "Did you google it?".

Market as the 'key' to a secure/private/trusted space.

Offline oldman

• View Profile
The issue of alienating non-native English speakers is a real concern. The majority of the global population falls into this category.

This issue may be further exacerbated by the extra syllable; try pronouncing a three-syllable word in Spanish/French/Mandarin and then compare with a one or two syllable word.

Which word do you favour?

Offline mint chocolate chip

The Quixote cartoons are great, and hopefully so will be Keyhotee. Keep the name and let Keyhotee save us from the bad guys.

Offline hadrian

• View Profile
  • BitShares: hadrian
This idea may sound stupid at first, but bear in mind that people can quickly become accustomed to a company or product name.

DonKey

Named after Don Quixote, DonKey carries all the tools you'll need to protect your ID and communications as you ride around the internet.
With DonKey ID there's no need to use loads of passwords or to rely on trust. DonKey ID will protect you with honor and courage.
When it comes to your internet ID and communications DonKey can easily carry the load......blah blah blah

I think this sounds stupid.

I'd still use DonKey Mail though
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:09:19 pm by Hadrian »
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline CLains

• View Profile
  • BitShares: clains
I like to think of it as the Bitshares project and the Keyhotee ID project. The Bitshares project aims to give you  shares in DACs. They Keyhotee ID (KeyID) project aims to give you control over your identity.

Offline ripplexiaoshan

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: jademont
I like "keyhotee". To specify the function, it can be promoted as Keyhotee mail system. Not to mention it has been widely known in Bitcoin fans.
BTS committee member:jademont

Offline svk

I quite like Keyhotee, but that's because I pronounce it with an American accent and it actually sounds kinda cool with that accent.

What worries me about that name though is how it'll sound to all the non-english speakers of the world. I just asked my French coworkers to pronounce it, and to them it's kinda hard and does not sound the same..

I think Google in the beginning included a phonetic transcription of their name, if you stick with Keyhotee it would be a good idea to do so as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:21:49 am by svk »
Worker: dev.bitsharesblocks