Many thanks to xeroc for replying so quickly!
Apologies to the community, this was a case of a non-tech user trying to muddle through the registration process.
So here's what happened:
- Created new account with new name
- I attempted to send funds to the new account to register
- Did not realize I had to send the funds to the public key rather than the account name; this is why I could not receive funds
- Sent funds to public key, received
- Tried to register name
- Could not register name because someone is already using it
So lesson learned - we need to have a more directed 1-2-3 account creation guide/wizard that pops up when a new account is created, ie:
Step 1. Choose user name (should tell you if user name is available before allowing Step 2)
Step 2. Send funds to this address (show public key automatically)
Step 3. Register user name