Author Topic: Fix for DNS Holders who lost money buying into DNS  (Read 36088 times)

Offline Overthetop

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:55:54 pm by Overthetop »
个人微博账号: Overthetop_万里晴空
“块链创新与创业”交流群: 330378613

Offline bobmaloney

"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline spoonman

• View Profile
We don't want anyone to lose out, especially those who bought into the systems like DNS after launch.   Toast and I have been working on a solution that does not involve changing my proposal and upsetting the markets further. 

Only ~10% of DNS has moved from the genesis block.  Prior to the 50% fall DNS had a market cap of $6.5 million (according to Toast) which means the total value of all DNS purchased prior to my proposal post was about $650,000.   After the post it lost 50% of its value causing some DNS fans to lose $325,000 while those that sold prior made $325,000.   

We happen to own a large part of DNS through the PTS Angel address and this part that we own was in excess of 10% (haven't actually imported it yet)...  we will divide this fund among DNS holders outside the genesis block based upon a snapshot just prior to my post.   

This allocation should not harm any other players other than us and should make everyone who purchased DNS whole. 

There is no point in moving your funds from the genesis as a result of this post.

We would like to thank everyone in the community who supports our project and to show our commitment to make sure that you all are taken care of even if it comes at our own expense.

Once again.. this is not an obligation and we may change our mind on the details of this post.  I just wanted you to know the gist of what our plans are to make everyone as happy as possible.

outside the genesis block based upon a snapshot just prior to my post

"my post" = this one ? or the topic about merging?
+5%

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
The post that caused the 50% fall.

Oh wow, you can do that.
Thats amazing. :)

Will the exchanges be able to figure out who should get the shares correctly? 
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline bytemaster

We don't want anyone to lose out, especially those who bought into the systems like DNS after launch.   Toast and I have been working on a solution that does not involve changing my proposal and upsetting the markets further. 

Only ~10% of DNS has moved from the genesis block.  Prior to the 50% fall DNS had a market cap of $6.5 million (according to Toast) which means the total value of all DNS purchased prior to my proposal post was about $650,000.   After the post it lost 50% of its value causing some DNS fans to lose $325,000 while those that sold prior made $325,000.   

We happen to own a large part of DNS through the PTS Angel address and this part that we own was in excess of 10% (haven't actually imported it yet)...  we will divide this fund among DNS holders outside the genesis block based upon a snapshot just prior to my post.   

This allocation should not harm any other players other than us and should make everyone who purchased DNS whole. 

There is no point in moving your funds from the genesis as a result of this post.

We would like to thank everyone in the community who supports our project and to show our commitment to make sure that you all are taken care of even if it comes at our own expense.

Once again.. this is not an obligation and we may change our mind on the details of this post.  I just wanted you to know the gist of what our plans are to make everyone as happy as possible.

outside the genesis block based upon a snapshot just prior to my post

"my post" = this one ? or the topic about merging?

The post that caused the 50% fall.
For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline bobmaloney

These are the kind of hacks that give me a high degree of confidence in Dan and the rest of the I3 crew.

Good decision guys.

Good to see Shentist appreciates this move.

I'd like to hear from Bobb as well.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw."
- Jack Handey (SNL)

Offline bytemaster

How would this work?  won't most of this then just go to the exchange addresses?  How will it make its way to individual users?

It doesn't help those with balances on the exchange at the snapshot date... cannot help everyone though I try.
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline biophil

• Professor of Computer Science
    • View Profile
    • My Academic Website
  • BitShares: biophil
How would this work?  won't most of this then just go to the exchange addresses?  How will it make its way to individual users?

Bter and BTC38 are really great about distributing these kinds of things to users. The problem will be if they don't have pre-announcement snapshots...
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Offline bytemaster

This is a super-cool idea, and it speaks huge volumes about your commitment to making this work. Really, really great.  +5% +5%

So to re-state what you said to make sure I got it right:

You take snapshot of DNS balances just prior to your announcement, and distribute AGS funds to those addresses which are not in the genesis block to compensate them for the possibility that they purchased on the exchange pre-announcement?

Yes

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
(Also, the trick about doing a snapshot and then posting!  Good way to help the people who actually had DNS, rather than to help whatever trader managed to see this post first). ;)

Here's the secret: since he has a copy of the blockchain, he can do a snapshot retroactively!
Support our research efforts to improve BitAsset price-pegging! Vote for worker 1.14.204 "201907-uccs-research-project."

Xeldal

Offline biophil

• View Profile
    • My Academic Website
This is a super-cool idea, and it speaks huge volumes about your commitment to making this work. Really, really great.  +5% +5%

So to re-state what you said to make sure I got it right:

You take snapshot of DNS balances just prior to your announcement, and distribute AGS funds to those addresses which are not in the genesis block to compensate them for the possibility that they purchased on the exchange pre-announcement?

Offline Harvey

• View Profile
Thank u so much for the compensation!  +5%
BTS       Witness:harvey-xts Seed:128.199.143.47:2015 API:wss://128.199.143.47:2016 
MUSE   Witness:harvey-xts Seed:128.199.143.47:2017 API:ws://128.199.143.47:2018

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
I'm glad to see this, hopefully it will help out those who bought DNS recently and help make a lot less people angry.

(Also, the trick about doing a snapshot and then posting!  Good way to help the people who actually had DNS, rather than to help whatever trader managed to see this post first). ;)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline Shentist

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • metaexchange
  • BitShares: shentist
 +5%

i am one of DNS buyers to increase my holdings. i appricate this idea, because i invested in believing in the ecosystem. i am in favor of the merger, but i am feeling really wronged in this case and lost good money.