Author Topic: BitShares X rebrands itself as BitShares; adopts greater scope [DRAFT]  (Read 18742 times)

Offline Riverhead

What will the daily vesting rate be?

BM said it would be linear so:

365*2 = 730. 1/730th = 0.137 %/day. That would be about 685k BTS/day for the 500,000,000 BTS that is subject to vesting.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:43:29 pm by Riverhead »

Offline spoonman

• View Profile

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
I think the paragraph about turing-complete scripting and ethereum should be removed. It's off topic for the rebranding.

Any mention of Ethereum should definitely be removed.  You do not want to mention your competitor in a press release.  It only gives them legitimacy as the leading contender.
*agreed* .. there is still alot to be learned .. in either direction .. and I wouldn't want to mess with a well-established friendship relation ..

Offline James212

• View Profile
I think the paragraph about turing-complete scripting and ethereum should be removed. It's off topic for the rebranding.

Any mention of Ethereum should definitely be removed.  You do not want to mention your competitor in a press release.  It only gives them legitimacy as the leading contender.   
BTS: theangelwaveproject

Offline Empirical1.1

• View Profile
The draft statement reads well enough for those familiar with BTS and related DACs, but I think more opportunity could be taken to promote to others less familiar why they should come join the ecosystem.

Yeah I think it looks good for those very familiar with BitShares.

You could do a shorter more promotional press release when the change actually happens with a link to this one if people want more detail.

Offline Mysto

• View Profile
This air drop is not a buyout or merger but a no strings attached gift to these communities to encourage them to contribute to BTSX rather than their own competitors.    This air drop will be made based upon ownership as of midnight UTC.
To me a "merger" sounds much better than a "gift".

Plus this...

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
HI , BTS will become the killer app of ecosystem with block chain technology.
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
Btw, more than just a few people see the lack of turing completeness as a good thing. Turing-complete languages make it possible to do virtually anything - including everything evil.
skynet would be an example people often use .. however .. skynet would require huge fees to run :) lol

Offline pc

• View Profile
    • Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko?
  • BitShares: cyrano
I figured it was some esoteric relation to a turing machine. Just another buzz word with little to add over just saying "we're adding a scripting lanuage" to the client. It that statement is incorrect, pls explain the difference between "turing complete" scripting and just scripting.

You may not be aware of it, but Bitcoin transactions use a scripting language that is *not* turing complete. So, "turing complete" in this context is more than just a buzzword because it highlights an important conceptual difference.

Btw, more than just a few people see the lack of turing completeness as a good thing. Turing-complete languages make it possible to do virtually anything - including everything evil.
Bitcoin - Perspektive oder Risiko? ISBN 978-3-8442-6568-2 http://bitcoin.quisquis.de

Tuck Fheman

DevShares will not be considered a "safe store of value" but non-the-less will have value for those wishing to test their smart contracts or BTS integration on a low-value chain.   

nonetheless

Offline starspirit

• Financial markets pro over 20 years
    • View Profile
  • BitShares: starspirit
The draft statement reads well enough for those familiar with BTS and related DACs, but I think more opportunity could be taken to promote to others less familiar why they should come join the ecosystem.

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
After the words "midnight UTC" you should add "Nov 5".
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline WildWex

• View Profile
Like... "compute the last digit of pi?"   *just kidding*

Been hearing this phrase turing complete mentioned lately, what does it mean?

From wikipedia:

Turing completeness, named after Alan Turing, is significant in that every plausible design for a computing device so far advanced can be emulated by a universal Turing machine — an observation that has become known as the Church-Turing thesis. Thus, a machine that can act as a universal Turing machine can, in principle, perform any calculation that any other programmable computer is capable of. However, this has nothing to do with the effort required to write a program for the machine, the time it may take for the machine to perform the calculation, or any abilities the machine may possess that are unrelated to computation.

While truly Turing-complete machines are very likely physically impossible, as they require unlimited storage, Turing completeness is often loosely attributed to physical machines or programming languages that would be universal if they had unlimited storage. All modern computers are Turing-complete in this sense.

I don't know how you can be more non-technical than that except by saying "turing complete means 'able to answer computable problem given enough time and space'".

Offline joele

• View Profile
I hope this smart contract with turing complete is built-in in the wallet and easy to setup, like with wizard for basic contracts.