Author Topic: All Work and No PLAY makes Jack a Dull Boy...(Ends 4 November 14)  (Read 7643 times)

Offline fluxer555

• View Profile
project M

tl;dr Sakurai accidentally made his children's party game into a hardcore competitive fighter. He didn't like that, so he hamstrung the next in the series. The fans didn't like that, so they made a mod to make it more like his previous game.

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

A fast-paced game
with flowing, natural movement
where the player has a great degree of control over their character due to the technical skill that they've achieved.
The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.

I didn't know you were a smasher, toast!

I'm a Super Smash Bros. Melee veteran myself. Many consider me as one of the best Ness mains of all time.

The game has been around for 13 years and still has a huge following, being featured in EVO (major fighting game tournament) for the past two years. I'd love to see SSBM and Project M in whatever project you are doing!

Offline xeroc

• Board Moderator
  • ChainSquad GmbH
    • View Profile
    • ChainSquad GmbH
  • BitShares: xeroc
  • GitHub: xeroc
- bzflag
- minecraft
- enemy territory
- sauerbraten (yheay)

Offline bytemaster

For the latest updates checkout my blog: http://bytemaster.bitshares.org
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline toast

• View Profile
  • BitShares: nikolai
project M

tl;dr Sakurai accidentally made his children's party game into a hardcore competitive fighter. He didn't like that, so he hamstrung the next in the series. The fans didn't like that, so they made a mod to make it more like his previous game.

Project M hopes to achieve a game similar to Super Smash Bros. Melee in many respects. It does not, however, intend to be a 1:1 Melee clone. The following is a list of the main aspects of Super Smash Bros. Melee that inspired and have carried over into Project M:

A fast-paced game
with flowing, natural movement
where the player has a great degree of control over their character due to the technical skill that they've achieved.
The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

In short, Project M aims to capture the essence of what made Melee a truly great game in our eyes.
Do not use this post as information for making any important decisions. The only agreements I ever make are informal and non-binding. Take the same precautions as when dealing with a compromised account, scammer, sockpuppet, etc.

Offline HackFisher

• View Profile
Anything said on these forums does not constitute an intent to create a legal obligation or contract between myself and anyone else.   These are merely my opinions and I reserve the right to change them at any time.

Offline BTSdac

• View Profile
  • BitShares: K1
github.com :pureland
BTS2.0 API :ws://139.196.37.179:8091
BTS2.0 API 数据源ws://139.196.37.179:8091

Offline JoeyD

I'm for games with the right themes.

So my suggestion for trying to survive in a hostile environment where you don't know who you can trust and with no clear defined end-goal is DayZ.

I gave everybody on the mumble server a copy of Tropico (because buying and running your own tropical Islands seems to be the goal of many people here), but I don't think you can play that game with many people at the same time.

Or if surviving, building and blocks are required one of the minecraft-likes is possible as well.

I haven't been keeping track of games lately so there might be more that fit our themes.

Offline fuzzy

Dota is more well known though!

Oh, I see, you are a time traveller from 2005! :)

lol.  So you can put up your game:  League of Legends :P
WhaleShares==DKP; BitShares is our Community! 
ShareBits and WhaleShares = Love :D

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Dota is more well known though!

Oh, I see, you are a time traveller from 2005! :)
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

Using DotA as an example of the moba genre instead of League of Legends!  What is this?  I should sell my Bitshares because of this heresy! :D

I suck at them both :P...but I do tend to agree.  Dota is more well known though!

Offline Ander

• View Profile
  • BitShares: Ander
Using DotA as an example of the moba genre instead of League of Legends!  What is this?  I should sell my Bitshares because of this heresy! :D
https://metaexchange.info | Bitcoin<->Altcoin exchange | Instant | Safe | Low spreads

Offline fuzzy

We are looking to create a crowd-sourced list of the Free-to-Play Competitive Video Games.  Though I cannot reveal exact details at this juncture, I hope everyone will add a game they believe fits into this.  Examples could be First Person Shooters (FPS) like Team Fortress, Real Time Strategy (RTS) like Age of Empires, Online Arena Battle like DOTA and many more.  Please post at least one choice. 

This thread will be locked 1 week (7 days) from this day, on 4 NOV 14, so please make sure to post your favorites today!  Don't forget they need to be competitive!

*Note*  http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/?tab=MostPlayed#p1 is a good starting list to choose from. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 05:36:02 am by fuzzy »